MSR Dromedary Bag?

On another forum I'm on, somebody mentioned MSR's Dromedary Bags as a good, albeit expensive way to carry water.

I was curious enough to take a look into it. It is expensive, but the quality is said to be very high, and I'm impressed by the way it integrates into a "system" to work with their water purifiers. The black ones are said to work very well as solar showers, and MSR sells a kit for such a use as well.

Was wondering if anyone here uses them, and if so, what they think of them?

BTW, the MSR site has some EXCELLENT info articles on water purifying:

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/blog/water-filters-101-what-the-99-xx-removal-claims-mean/

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/blog/complete-guide-to-water-treatment/

I have one and it's a beast, tough as nails. It does give off some taste from the lining. It's not horrible, better than most, but it is there. The taste is a bit like drinking from a garden hose when you were a kid.

How did we ever survive?

MSR makes awesome gear. I'd love to have one of these.

I've carried one for several years. Very durable and great for kayak trips. It has also seen duty as a wine bota for extended trips with the wife, remember to rinse throughly after each use.

-Andy

I have several of the black MSR Dromedary bags. They have been in use since the early 90's. As Grumps mentioned they are great for carrying water in sea kayaks. Currently I am using a 2 liter that I hang off the roof rack for washing my hands and cleaning dishes. Also works great to add water to a Tembo Tusk Skottle. I also carry a 10 liter with the shower spigot/hose. This is more for emergency use/bulk carry. I will admit that I am a heavy soda drinker so I rarely drink from them other then brushing my teeth. The best part is you can stash them in odd places because they conform well to any given location. See photo below - black bag on the bottom is my 2 liter MSR. I highly recommend them!

I've got one of the old red models that I toss in my kayak and hang from the roof rack of the truck. I don't have any of the accesories but the bag itself has held up well.

As for the taste issue, after I got it I think I put some dilute lemon bleach solution or lemon juice and then bleach in it and letting it soak overnight and then I just keep it clean like I do my Camelbaks with no real issues. It's been so long ago I can't really remember.

Last edited:
I have two of the 10 Liter bags and a smaller 6 Liter. I have been an MSR geek for decades but the thing I love the most about them is that you can screw the Miniworks EX or Guardian on the the bladders.

That is an awesome water bag, I carried one of the 10 liter bags for many years in my ruck here in the summer heat at Ft Bragg and also downrange when additional water was needed. Extremely durable,versatile and bombproof.
With proper maintenance it will last you a lifetime .:)

I used iodine in mine once and the flavor can still be detected. I don't mind it though. Great water carrier and works well as a pillow (blow a little air in it if you need it). The lid is the same thread as a Nalgene bottle, still pretty standard for hydration accessories. My MSR Waterworks filter attaches directly to both.

Back
Top Bottom