Mountain Rendezvous 2018: Black Diamond Trail Run - John Bull

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlkWgn

Adventurist
Senior Staff
Founding Member
There have been many request for a harder trail run at MRV and this year Falken Tire is stepping up to help that happen with a Friday trip across the famous John Bull Trail

This trail run will be limited to 10 vehicles.

Trail may be changed based on interest, vehicles in attendance, or current conditions.

Line up by the stage at 9am for drivers Meeting

Coms TBD at drivers meeting

Trail Lead - Brandon - Falken Tire

1. @Missymac80
2. @jismay
10. Tail Gunner -

Trail Information from Trails Offroad

This is a must do off-road trail when in Southern California. Often used as the proving grounds prior to a trip to the Rubicon, while attempting to conquer this extreme 4x4 trail, you can expect large boulders over 36 inches big, loose rocks that love to do body damage, and big trees that seem to jump out of nowhere and kiss your vehicle. Be warned though, this trail will put man and machine to the test. So if you are in Southern California and looking for an amazing yet challenging trail, look no further then this difficult trail, 3N10 - John Bull Trail in Big Bear's Holcomb Valley settling in San Bernardino's National Forest.

Commonly referred to as the mini Rubicon Trail, John Bull is one of the most difficult trails in the San Bernardino Forest trail system. Large boulders, tight turns, and small squeezes between trees are just some of the obstacles you will encounter. Once you arrive at the infamous "Gate Keeper" you will start crawling your way up boulder fields with rocks the size of small cars. Mixed with loose dirt, traction is minimal and ground clearance is your friend. Short wheelbase vehicles tend to fair better, but a properly armored SUV or pickup truck can make it though without many hang ups. There is no right or wrong way to run the trail, but most run it west to east. There are a few areas where it would be tricky to get by a group of vehicles that are going the opposite way.
Stay the trail, people are leaving the trail which will result in the trail being closed. Also, respect the historic items out there. Make sure the rocks you find or logs laying around are not tools or cabins of the old mining days. Many of the items have been destroyed recently.

Difficulty: 5-8
(MODERATE - DIFFICULT)
Length: 4.4 miles
Highest Elevation: 8200 feet
Duration: About 6 hours
Shape of Trail: Connector
Best Direction to Travel: West
Nearest Town: Big Bear City
Nearest Town w/ Services: Big Bear City
Official Road Name: 3N10
Management Agency: San Bernardino Forest Service

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a fun trail!
37856285_1706603482809995_9060808465299013632_n.jpg

37653583_277225309747511_5860841556700823552_n.jpg

I can't get my damn Jeep to set the heated O2 sensor monitor so it will pass smog and I can renew my registration, or I'd be all over this.

I ran the trail years ago, we were at the gatekeeper obstacle and a young Marine was there by himself in a bone stock 4-cylinder YJ Wrangler on 29" street tires. The kid had heart, and he really wanted to run the trail. We put him in the middle of our group of built rigs and pulled an pushed him through the trail. The kid had a huge grin on his face the whole way through the trail. That was on of the most fun trail runs I've ever been on. Nothing beats getting an inexperienced guy through a tough trail.:cool:

Really tempted. Thoughts how the YJ would do on 33s anyone? I just don't want to break it... again... :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom