Motorcycle Airbag Vests

Gallowbraid

Adventurist
So I came across this company the other day:

http://www.helitemoto.com/
http://www.helitemoto.com/
They've developed riding gear with air bags built in. Price-wise they're on par with other high end gear such as Klim but with the added benefit of air bags. I was unsure of the effectiveness (the marketing on their site is good though) until I came across these photos on an adventure bike forum today.

index1.jpg

index2.jpg

index.jpg

Broken femur was the only result of that carnage. The jacket saved him completely from any torso bruising or cuts, broken back or neck. Pretty amazing stuff.

Anyone here have experience with these products?

Dear organ-donors - please enjoy your motorcycles. I'd prefer this - you could kit this out rather handily on the inside... park and camp where ever you want.

1024px-Mine_resistant_ambush_protected_vehicles.jpg

Dear organ-donors - please enjoy your motorcycles. I'd prefer this - you could kit this out rather handily on the inside... park and camp where ever you want.

For a period of about 4 years I commuted on a dual sport. It was a minimum of 130 miles a day, 5 days a week. Rain or shine, hot or cold, I was on the bike. That didn't include my days off where I'd explore every back road, dirt fire road and single track trail I could find throughout the south east. While it's not for everyone, I've found no substitute for the euphoric feeling of having your face in the wind, taking in the sights, sounds and smells in a 360 degree open window. A topless/doorless jeep is about as close an option as I've found on 4 wheels and it still doesn't even come close.

People used to ask if I was scared of riding on the interstate as much as I commuted. Interstates are no problem, everyone is moving in the same direction and due to your field of vision and instant access to acceleration and reflexive handling there's not too much you can't avoid on the expressway. Parking lots however are a different story. Idiots will kill you in a parking lot (which is essentially what expressways are in California, thus this rider's unfortunate accident). I've almost been hit head on by an a-hole speeding the wrong way through a bank drive through to get to walmart faster...and another example of poor genetics driving a lawn service truck nearly hit me after making eye contact with me (and he still pulled out in front of me).

Being on two wheels certainly comes with it's fair share of risk and, as I stated, it's not for everyone. I, however, wouldn't trade it for the world. If I go, I'm going happy with a smile on my face and the wind in what's left of my hair.

Wear the right gear and ride like you're invisible to everyone else on the road and you'll generally make it home to put the kickstand down at the end of the day.

Last edited:
I remember watching a vid of a guy who low sided on a mountain road and was wearing the jacket. Saved his behind. Motorcycle Mag put out a vid on YouTube on this jacket I believe.

Back
Top Bottom