MOTORBIKE vs ATV vs UTV and limiting factors.

100acre

Adventurist
Just what should it be? I've been heavily researching some sort of off-road exploration device that I can pull along with me on my exploratory trips out west. Much like a dinghy or skiff for a boat or yacht. Except this time I want to set up camp and explore areas at a leisurely pace by parking the truck and FWC, then branch out each day from Base camp. I figure to save some time, gas and wear and tear on my truck, plus access areas that my truck just cannot go. For a while I looked at dual sport motorcycles for their portability and mileage but, I wouldn't be able to bring my dog or a friend. Then I studied ATVs made by various companies, which seemed like a better deal and a much more stable platform but, still limited. I finally broadened my search and started looking at the UTV market. There are a lot of different selections makes and models so much so that the beginner shopper could be quite overwhelmed by all that is offered. Some models are for made for more recreational sport versus utility and some carry more people and gear. Most were gasoline engines but there are a few diesels out there that are offered as well. I spoke to one of my best buddies tonight who owns a couple of ATVs and motorbikes. He uses them very regularly in southern Idaho for mainly hunting and fishing. He told me that getting up in age the thumb throttle on the right hand grip of most ATVs after a while of driving starts to hurt all the way up to his elbow. Personally, having had issues in the past with carpal tunnel and minor arthritis in my hands and wrists makes me think maybe I should go with something a little bit more, well, larger and with a gas pedal instead of a "Thumb Drive". After looking at a number of the utility vehicles available today, I also learned that many of the National forests have certain restrictions even on OHV trails limiting the width of allowed ATV's. The limited width is set at 50" and gates are set to control it by the national forest service. Many if not most of the side-by-side combinations are in excess of 50 inches. Therefore limiting them to only access areas where you can take a normal full-size 4X4 vehicle or truck. Apparently the only company that makes one that fits the bill for that limiting width is the Honda Pioneer 500. It has seating for two people and a rear rack for carrying gear with a 475 cc engine. It doesn't have a differential lock though. The next model up is the 700 and it had the diff lock but is too wide for those certain trail restrictions. The Pioneer 500 is priced right at a similar price for the market competition with a quality ATV at an MSRP of $8,999. Of course you can add features like a winch and other options to improve the quality and safety of your ride.
I hope I fit in it as I'm gonna go looking at them soon.
http://mr-motorcycle.com/Utility-Ve...ille-NC-c9e9ee87-41f2-40ea-8ca7-a660004db55cG

The problem with quads/UTV's from my perspective is you can't connect the dots on the map with them because they aren't street legal in most states, where a dual sport motorcycle is street legal. I know in Arizona they (quads/UTV's) can be licensed for street use, not aware of any other states that they are, not to say there aren't any.

The problem with quads/UTV's from my perspective is you can't connect the dots on the map with them because they aren't street legal in most states, where a dual sport motorcycle is street legal. I know in Arizona they (quads/UTV's) can be licensed for street use, not aware of any other states that they are, not to say there aren't any.
Honestly I've always been somewhat intimidated by motorcycles and figured I would probably either kill myself or seriously injure myself or cause serious distruction to a motorcycle. Plus with my recent intestinal issues being out in the back country on some type of off-road vehicle, if I got an attack it seemed like an ATV or UTV would be a better choice to get me out safely. Taking my dog with me or filming equipment also seemed like a better idea for a larger more stable vehicle.

I get that, I'm allergic to pain in my old age, so I stay away from motorcycles too. I still think the random/changing laws from state to state make the others more of a PITA. I think you'd almost be better off finding a '91 or newer Wrangler (fuel injected engine) and flat towing it behind your new Power Wagon!

I get that, I'm allergic to pain in my old age, so I stay away from motorcycles too. I still think the random/changing laws from state to state make the others more of a PITA. I think you'd almost be better off finding a '91 or newer Wrangler (fuel injected engine) and flat towing it behind your new Power Wagon!
Yeah, I'm thinking more narrow though. I just watched hours of youtube videos on the pioneer 500 and I must say I'm quite impressed with its capabilities. I just ran a quote on Honda's website. hopefully I'll hear something positive back tomorrow.

VEHICLE:
Year/Make: 2017 Honda
Model/Trim/Transmission: Pioneer 500
Exterior Color: Green
Accessories: Accessory Sub Harness, Aluminum A-Arm Guards (Front), Aluminum A-Arm Guards (Rear), Aluminum Skid Plate, Bimini Top (camo), Draw Bar, Fabric Door (camo), Fabric Rear Panel, Fabric Roof / Rear Panel (camo), Front Bumper, Winch, Winch Mount, Wind Deflector
I'll probably add 26" tires to it too.
$11,807

There a bunch of 50" machines available. I have a RZR 800 that is 50". It would be comparable to the current 570s. The biggest atvantage I see is the level of offraod performance you get for the $, compared to a truck or jeep. Also cheaper and easier to repair

I'm thinking about tracks...
pioneer+1000+on+tracks+whistler+bc.jpg

If you are in a state that you can street legal a UTV, that's my vote. Incredibly offroad capable (and comfortable), largest weight capacity/range/seating, and probably highest resale value with how crazy that market has become.

Back
Top Bottom