"Mothership"

Being a diesel guy myself, I agree I love having it for my configuration, i.e. a slide in popup camper. That said, I spent $2500+ on suspension mods, I don't have a selectable locker, no electric sway bar disconnect nor a winch. Since a Flippac is so light compared to a slide in, a Power Wagon gives you a ton of great additions, good suspension flex and a much lower weight. This is a total win-win in my book. If I was doing any slide in, it would be a Cummins powered 2500 but a Flippac, Power Wagon hands down.

At least that's my opinion.

I considered the flip Pac, but I'm glad I went with a regular shell. True to form, I conducted a short cost benefit analysis:

Costs: Roughly $5k fixed landed cost over a traditional shell, 0.5-1.0 estimated mpg loss over traditional shell (<$300 per year variable cost run rate)
Benefits: Changing area / extra sleeping space. Not having to remove gear from the cargo area in order to sleep.

I have a nice ground tent that will accommodate the family even after my son arrives this August. Additionally, I will be carrying a tent that attaches to the inside of my gazebo. Not as nice as the flip Pac in inclement weather, though. Not having to move gear around remains an un-matched benefit of the flip pac.

Perhaps it's because I already own so many tents and other gear, but I didn't see the flip Pac giving my much that I didn't already have, and wasn't willing to spend the extra cash to realize those benefits.

For some reason, I can't edit my last post, but I own several traditional ground tents and a tent cot. I have conducted periodic review and purge initiatives regarding camping gear over the years, but still have enough to:
A) Start leading trips again should I choose to do so, including full logistics and consumables support.
B) have a complete backup for almost every piece of kit that I have for glamping, which stays at the house in case of emergency, etc.
C) "Loaner" equipment which I can use to help people out or help to get them started in their adventures without committing to the full entry cost. This is also a full array of equipment, but meets more basic needs.
D) Backpacking and paddle camping specific gear.

I have enough stuff, so now I view any new purchase with a skeptical eye. What is it really going to do for me? What is the true cost, both fixed and variable? How will I store / maintain the equipment? Is there a good rate of return relative to renting equipment?

Being a diesel guy myself, I agree I love having it for my configuration, i.e. a slide in popup camper. That said, I spent $2500+ on suspension mods, I don't have a selectable locker, no electric sway bar disconnect nor a winch. Since a Flippac is so light compared to a slide in, a Power Wagon gives you a ton of great additions, good suspension flex and a much lower weight. This is a total win-win in my book. If I was doing any slide in, it would be a Cummins powered 2500 but a Flippac, Power Wagon hands down.

At least that's my opinion.

Strongly agree with this post... I'm a diesel guy, prefer their benefits and how they drive (plus the handshaker trans that's only behind the Cummins). Though I didn't spend money on suspension except for new shocks, and hope not to (but it's a '14), I've also become a slide-in camper fan in recent years.

If anything much lighter than a slide-in camper is chosen (Flippac, or shell) there is certainly no need for a Cummins and the Power Wagon offers a fantastic turn-key package. I was just looking online late last night to confirm that the PW is not offered with a manual tranny, and it is not. But that doesn't matter to most, as the vast majority seem to prefer an A/T... Only negative is the price and thirsty. But the price might be relatively 'inexpensive' when one factors how much the winch and locker mods cost.

New shoes and fender flares.

8242f70fdfab1b637d9858590b6c5bcb.jpg

Hoping for good things from these new BFG KO2's.

So what do you think of the KO2s so far and is that a Snugtop with vented Windoors? If so, are you still using it and what do you think?

The KO2s are performing well thus far. I have no complaints but havent been driving much since my return from OVX West.

The shell with the vented windoors was and is the best purchase that i have made for that truck to date. I love it!

I found myself wanting more flexibility with my Yakima setup, so I decided that drilling holes in the top of my (almost) new pickup was a good idea! :eek:

I shortened a set of 54" tracks by about 6" and mounted them using the included "plus-nuts" so as to leave the headliner intact. I sealed the area around the holes with a "liberal" application of rtv gasket compound.

0f89441c628a3edaa4d927b95b67600c.jpg

16c9b44cde410c286362e805c0263f51.jpg

I added 4 landing pads to the new tracks. Ill be hauling the canoe up there for a hiking / paddle trip this weekend.

Crappy pics added below:

8f3599e59e992d34810b671c169b7684.jpg

20f7ebaacc435e56c064f901b89a5a4c.jpg

Last edited:
Love this truck. And Lee still drools when thinking about it. Was good to see your setup last month. I really like how you have your "kitchen" down to a science.

Build threads are definitely not my specialty (although I really do appreciate it when others do it well). It looks like I forgot to include pics of my ARB air compressor. I installed it in one of the little cubby holes because it seemed like the best use of a space that otherwise was a bit of a head scratcher.

ddf0ceec81429005e2d155074beb8f3e.jpg

b6313ba22b06e6a0d376ac23cb72bf0d.jpg

5601f16c8069d9ddf3bb9412522e50a5.jpg

dfea9e06e24dd31c272c3b63397f8685.jpg

I took advantage of a black friday deal and bought some Vision X rock lights.

Driveway pic:

19373b9eeb212a3fb6fccb91c84e9afe.jpg

Last edited:
Ive been researching winch options as well. I dont need a winch often and have had a terrible time with Warn winches. While I havent ruled out Mile Marker, Im looking more closely at Superwinch and (gasp!) Smittybilt XRC series. Im looking for something in the 12k-16k lb range. I plan to use quick connects so I can use the winch on the front or rear of the truck as needed. Most of the time the winch will live in the storage area of my truck, to be pulled out when needed or at the trail head if I know Im in for a thrashing.

Im not in a hurry to buy this, as I am more comfortable using wheel winch techniques than most... There are just some situations where a real winch outshines any other tool in the shed.

My thoughts are drifting again to the topic of illumination. I recently had some trail time after dark and was really wishing for more. I have two pairs of Vision X 4 LED flood lights and a 9" Reflex spot bar left over from a previous build. Ill be looking at mounting options that are subtle. I am really trying to stick to a "stealth build" kind of theme with this truck, and the first thing that will blow my cover is a bunch of lights dangling all over it. If I can figure out a good way to stuff them in behind the grill, that might be the ticket.

No real rush here, either, but its now the season for home / garage projects and Ive added it to the bottom of the list.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom