Most remote location in the lower U.S?

007'

Adventurist
Founding Member
I've heard southern Utah has a place that you could land a 35 mile radius circle without touching a town.

I've heard southern Oregon has a place that is the farthest point from two interstates.

I know a place in Montana that is over 50 miles from any town in any direction.

How do you define remote? The place in Montana is far from Towns, but there are a few ranches in that 50 mile radius.

We need to define remote, locate it, and meet there for a good cause. What say you?

IMHO being remote means getting away from services. Whether it is a road or a trail you are on, and traveling by foot or vehicle, remoteness is a factor of how much you need to rely on yourself for necessities.

I recently saw a REALLY boring video essay on remote/lonely places.

You can always use the McDonalds rule. You know that you are remote when you are within the longest distance between two McDonalds! Looks like that would put you in South Dakota. :redface

"And that led Worley to ask himself this question: "Just how far away can you get from our world of modern generic convenience?" To gage that, he picked the most American of all fast food chains-McDonald's-and set out to determine the farthest distance between two McD's in the lower 48 states. Worley obtained a list of McDonald's franchises in all states excluding Hawaii and Alaska and literally mapped them, pinpointing each Mickey D with a small point of light, to see what the USA according to McDonald's actually looks like.

The result is astonishing. The lower 48 states are lit up like the proverbial Christmas tree, with particular density east of the Mississippi River. The darkest areas (what Worley calls the areas with "maximum McSparseness") are in the West. But no place is actually dark: there are little points of light from one end of the country to the other, with no break in between.

Using the map and the list, Worley found the state with the longest distance between two McDonald's franchises: it's South Dakota. Between the McDonald's in Meadow, South Dakota and the McDonald's in Glad Valley, South Dakota, the actual distance is 107 miles. If you're driving, the distance is 145 miles".

Back
Top Bottom