Mojave National Preserve - Mines and Mining Camps

jfanaselle

Adventurist
The following is a trip report from a small group outing that I led about 2 months ago. We traveled into the Mojave National Preserve in Southern California for a two day, one night adventure exploring old mine camps and villages. We had a total of 5 vehicles and 10 people on this trip, and everyone had a blast. The weather cooperated perfectly with us, staying in the low 80's each day. The region had also just gotten hit by a rain storm 2 days before we arrived, which kept the dust in check for our entire trip.

We began the weekend with a morning meet up in the SanBernardino area. After a delicious breakfast at IHOP, we headed north alongInterstate 15 into the desert community of Baker. Once we had filled our rigswith gas, our coolers with ice, and our bellies with beef jerky from the worldfamous Alien Jerky store, it was time to head east into the Mojave Preserve.
We took Kelbaker Road east from Baker toward the oldrailroad depot at Kelso, California. About 8 miles into the preserve, we gotoff of the pavement near Seventeen Mile Point and turned south onto the oldMojave Road and aired down:

From the Mojave Road, we took a few off-chute roads towardsome old mine sites and mining camps. The very first site turned out to be abust. We couldn't find the "Paymaster Mine," despite one of our groupmember’s son's valliant efforts climbing all around the hills to look for us:

We traveled further into the mountains and came upon an oldcamp for workers near the Paymaster site. All that remains is a stone chimneywhere a cabin once stood:

From there, we headed further back into the hills until welocated part of the old settlement near Seventeenmile Point. These cabins arein spectacular shape, and have been adopted by a desert off road club thatkeeps them in great condition. For the sake of ensuring that no one evervandalizes the cabins, the location is not published:

Wandering around the site yielded some great photoopportunities:

Lots of cool things to check out. Basically, everywhereyou'd step there was some kind of evidence of the activites of the past at thislocation.

Just watch out for the hidden cacti that blend in with thebrush! One member of our group was “attacked” by this piece of cactus, evenafter very carefully looking before kneeling down. This stuff blends in withthe brush really well:

We wandered up the road and checked out the mines:

This particular mine was blocked off about 20 feet inside,but you could see through the gate and it looked pretty impressive:

There was even an area where the original miners livedunderground:

The next mine we checked out had a vertical shaft and ahorizontal adit. Both were sealed off, but I was able to get a good shot downinside the vertical shaft:

From there, we took the vehicles further up the mountain tocheck out the Oso Fino Mine. The road to this mine turned out to be in reallybad shape, and not all of the vehicles in our group made it. It was by far thecraziest road I've taken my Xterra on, and I'm very surprised I didn't breaksomething along the way. Once at the top, we were rewarded with one of theoldest mine sites in the entire Mojave Preserve. This mine first beganproduction in 1890 and had a few additions over the years. It produced a goodamount of gold until the 1940s.

The main shaft was REALLY deep and was sealed off. I managedto snap a cool photo through the grate:

There was a nearby second entrance to the mine that was notsealed off, but was in no condition to enter:

From there, it was back down the road and on to our nextstop:
[/URLhttp://s231.photobucket.com/user/jfanaselle/media/Mojave Preserve 05-17-15/111.jpg.htmlhttp://s231.photobucket.com/user/jfanaselle/media/Mojave Preserve 05-17-15/111.jpg.htmlhttp://s231.photobucket.com/user/jfanaselle/media/Mojave Preserve 05-17-15/111.jpg.html]

We headed back out the way we came and hit the pavementagain. From there, we took Kelbaker road further southeast until we hit AikenMine Road, which took us to the Lava Tube:

From there, we continued along Aiken Mine Road to the oldAiken Cinder Mine:

This site was AMAZING! It began it's life as a massivecorporate mining operation in 1948 and operated all the way until 1990, whenthe operators of the mine defaulted on their lease of the property. Theyabruptly shut down operations and completely walked away, leaving everything inplace and intact. There are still over 500,000 tons of mined material at thesite that was never hauled off, and all kinds of heavy mining equipment that weexplored:

By this time, we had used up most of our daylight and werestill over an hour away from the location we originally planned to camp.Fortunately, one group member spotted a fire ring near the cinder mine thatturned out to be a very suitable camp spot. We weren't really sheltered fromthe elements, but it was a beautiful evening/night with only brief periods ofminor wind, so we were golden!

I quietly explored the area around the camp and bumped intoa massive jack rabbit. With his ears up, he stood about 2 and a half feet tall!He was dark gray with black tips on his ears and a long black tail. He actuallylooked kind of like a burro!

The sunset from the campsite was amazing:

And the night scenery wasn't half bad, either. The orangeglow is the lights of Las Vegas, about 150 miles to our north:

Unfortunately, once the sun went down, the wildlife hadnothing to do but come check us out. Now I've heard horror stories of CamelSpiders from some of my buddies who are in the Marine Corps, but I never knewthey lived in the Mojave Desert too. These suckers were UGLY! We had two thatkept running around the camp fire, tormenting us and scaring all of the ladies.One of our group members was able to pull them up on his cell phone where welearned that they can run 10 miles per hour and jump 4 feet in the air. Theyare not deathly poisonous and are supposedly kind of friendly unless provoked.This particular guy used his front "arms" to scare the crap out ofall of us, putting them up in the air and acting like he wanted to fight us.Since he's so "friendly" it's possible that he just wanted a hug:

The following is a trip report from a small group outing that I led about 2 months ago. We traveled into the Mojave National Preserve in Southern California for a two day, one night adventure exploring old mine camps and villages. We had a total of 5 vehicles and 10 people on this trip, and everyone had a blast. The weather cooperated perfectly with us, staying in the low 80's each day. The region had also just gotten hit by a rain storm 2 days before we arrived, which kept the dust in check for our entire trip.

We began the weekend with a morning meet up in the SanBernardino area. After a delicious breakfast at IHOP, we headed north alongInterstate 15 into the desert community of Baker. Once we had filled our rigs with gas, our coolers with ice, and our bellies with beef jerky from the worldfamous Alien Jerky store, it was time to head east into the Mojave Preserve.
We took Kelbaker Road east from Baker toward the oldrailroad depot at Kelso, California. About 8 miles into the preserve, we gotoff of the pavement near Seventeen Mile Point and turned south onto the old Mojave Road and aired down:

From the Mojave Road, we took a few off-chute roads towardsome old mine sites and mining camps. The very first site turned out to be abust. We couldn't find the "Paymaster Mine," despite one of our groupmember’s son's valliant efforts climbing all around the hills to look for us:

We traveled further into the mountains and came upon an oldcamp for workers near the Paymaster site. All that remains is a stone chimneywhere a cabin once stood:

From there, we headed further back into the hills until welocated part of the old settlement near Seventeenmile Point. These cabins arein spectacular shape, and have been adopted by a desert off road club thatkeeps them in great condition. For the sake of ensuring that no one evervandalizes the cabins, the location is not published:

Wandering around the site yielded some great photoopportunities:

Lots of cool things to check out. Basically, everywhereyou'd step there was some kind of evidence of the activites of the past at this location.

Just watch out for the hidden cacti that blend in with thebrush! One member of our group was “attacked” by this piece of cactus, evenafter very carefully looking before kneeling down. This stuff blends in withthe brush really well:

We wandered up the road and checked out the mines:

This particular mine was blocked off about 20 feet inside,but you could see through the gate and it looked pretty impressive:

There was even an area where the original miners livedunderground:

The next mine we checked out had a vertical shaft and ahorizontal adit. Both were sealed off, but I was able to get a good shot downinside the vertical shaft:

From there, we took the vehicles further up the mountain tocheck out the Oso Fino Mine. The road to this mine turned out to be in reallybad shape, and not all of the vehicles in our group made it. It was by far thecraziest road I've taken my Xterra on, and I'm very surprised I didn't breaksomething along the way. Once at the top, we were rewarded with one of theoldest mine sites in the entire Mojave Preserve. This mine first beganproduction in 1890 and had a few additions over the years. It produced a goodamount of gold until the 1940s.

The main shaft was REALLY deep and was sealed off. I managedto snap a cool photo through the grate:

There was a nearby second entrance to the mine that was notsealed off, but was in no condition to enter:

From there, it was back down the road and on to our next stop.We headed back out the way we came and hit the pavement again. From there, we took Kelbaker road further southeast until we hit AikenMine Road, which took us to the Lava Tube:

From there, we continued along Aiken Mine Road to the oldAiken Cinder Mine:

This site was AMAZING! It began it's life as a massivecorporate mining operation in 1948 and operated all the way until 1990, whenthe operators of the mine defaulted on their lease of the property. Theyabruptly shut down operations and completely walked away, leaving everything inplace and intact. There are still over 500,000 tons of mined material at thesite that was never hauled off, and all kinds of heavy mining equipment that weexplored:

By this time, we had used up most of our daylight and werestill over an hour away from the location we originally planned to camp. Fortunately, one group member spotted a fire ring near the cinder mine thatturned out to be a very suitable camp spot. We weren't really sheltered fromthe elements, but it was a beautiful evening/night with only brief periods ofminor wind, so we were golden!

I quietly explored the area around the camp and bumped intoa massive jack rabbit. With his ears up, he stood about 2 and a half feet tall!He was dark gray with black tips on his ears and a long black tail. He actuallylooked kind of like a burro!

The sunset from the campsite was amazing:

And the night scenery wasn't half bad, either. The orangeglow is the lights of Las Vegas, about 150 miles to our north:

Unfortunately, once the sun went down, the wildlife hadnothing to do but come check us out. Now I've heard horror stories of Camel Spiders from some of my buddies who are in the Marine Corps, but I never knewthey lived in the Mojave Desert too. These suckers were UGLY! We had two thatkept running around the camp fire, tormenting us and scaring all of the ladies.One of our group members was able to pull them up on his cell phone where welearned that they can run 10 miles per hour and jump 4 feet in the air. Theyare not deathly poisonous and are supposedly kind of friendly unless provoked.This particular guy used his front "arms" to scare the crap out ofall of us, putting them up in the air and acting like he wanted to fight us.Since he's so "friendly" it's possible that he just wanted a hug:

- - - Updated - - -

The morning brought us a very beautiful sunrise over camp:

Before cooking breakfast, I explored the area around thecamp once more and shot a few photos with the morning light. There were somecool ruins of a stone building nearby. It once had a massive roof structure, soit's possible it was some sort of barn or workshop:

Once everyone else woke up, it was breakfast time:

We departed the camping location and continued north onAiken Mine Road. We stopped briefly at an old cattle corral and checked out thesite. The old windmill was impressive:

If you were a cow and you ended up in this thing, you were probably a very delicious cow:

We continued down the road and entered the Joshua Tree Forestarea. This area is the most-dense collection of Joshua Trees on the planet. Westopped to check out the old Mojave Phone Booth site. Nothing remains at thissite except for a couple of metal bars on the ground that we believe held thephone booth at one point. For those of you unfamiliar with the Mojave PhoneBooth, do a quick google search. It's an interesting story.

While continuing on down the road, we spotted a Golden Eagleatop a huge Joshua Tree. Myself and another member of the group took theopportunity to shoot some photos of him before he was scared off. It's prettyamazing that they can turn their heads all they way backwards while perched:

In flight, he was even more beautiful with a big wingspan ofprobably 4 feet or so:

After traveling a little further down the road, a reallycool looking lizard ran out in front of my Xterra and sprinted ahead of us. Iwas going 30 mph according to my speedo and he was running faster than me,pulling away from us. He was up on the tips of his super long toes and lookedlike he was floating about 3 or 4 inches above the sand as he ran really fast.He finally ran off to the side of the road and let me snap this photo of him aswe passed:

Eventually, Aiken Mine Road ends into a junction withseveral other roads. Right at this junction is a working private ranch known asthe Valley View Ranch. It looked a lot like many of the ruins in the area, butis a fully functional site with a family that lives there. This ranch has beenin operation since the homestead era, and continues to be allowed to operateinside of the bounaries of the preserve. Note that there are several otherranches like this throughout the preserve, but only one other one in thisregion west of the Ivanpah Mountains:
[/URLhttp://s231.photobucket.com/user/jfanaselle/media/Mojave Preserve 05-17-15/52.jpg.htmlhttp://s231.photobucket.com/user/jfanaselle/media/Mojave Preserve 05-17-15/52.jpg.htmlhttp://s231.photobucket.com/user/jfanaselle/media/Mojave Preserve 05-17-15/52.jpg.html]

We hit the pavement at Cima Road and traveled east to the oldCima Store, which is a General Store that operates in the area. The store wasclosed (it appears to be permenantly out of business at this point), so weheaded on to the Death Valley Mine and Dawson's Camp. While traveling down theroad to the site, our passage was blocked by one of the locals:

At first, we kept a big distance from the tortoise in aneffort to not scare him. These beautiful creatures are very endangered in thisdesert, and the Mojave Preserve runs a big campaign encouraging people to keepan eye out for them while traveling through the park. A big no-no is handlingthem, as is activates one of their defense mechanisms, which is urinatingthemselves. This causes them to lose much of the water they’ve stored in theirbody, and they can dehydrate quickly and die.

As we snapped photos of him from a distance, he actuallymoved toward us and approached us. He wasn't even the least bit afraid of us.We did a good job of not spooking him, but really needed him to move out of theroadway so we could pass. Eventually, we dug a small hole off of the road andfilled it with water. He quickly moved over to the hole and stuck his head in thewater but didn't really drink much. He crawled through the water hole and gothis belly wet before wandering off into the wilderness somewhere.

We arrived at the Death Valley Mine a short time later andbegan to explore:

The main house at the site was in great shape! There wereeven grapevines growing up the side of the building:

This house was built in the 1940s and is surprisingly wellintact after being exposed to the harsh desert weather for over 70 years:

We wandered the grounds and took many photos:

From there, we wandered further back within the site towardthe secondary structures and the actual mine:

There was a very impressive conveyer system that came out ofa secondary entrance to the mine:

The main mineshaft was not sealed off and was a very deepvertical shaft. A quick look down revealed quite a bit of water at the bottomfrom the rain that the region received a few days earlier:

The equipment around the mineshaft was really awesome. Thishuge winch was used to hoist things into and out of the mine using the metalheadframe over the shaft. It was constructed of crude materials, but wasimpressively engineered and built. The engine unit was actually the front endof an old farm tractor, and the whole assembly was mounted to and old truckchassis. The huge gears drove spools of wire that ran through a home-madefairlead, which consisted of a few round metal bars configured together. Therewere big impressions along the fairlead from the steel cable:

By the time we finished exploring this site, it was time forlunch at our vehicles before hitting the road for home. We took the dirt roadback out to the pavement and aired back up at the Cima Store. I managed to snapa cool photo of one of the old boxcars sitting on the ground at Cima, which hadobviously been converted to some kind of living quarters at some point:

Once aried up, we took Kelso Cima road into Kelso and passedby the depot. From there, we took Kelbaker Road all the way into Amboy, wherewe stopped to shoot photos of some trains and to grab a Route 66 Root Beer fromRoy's Diner. From there, it was an easy but long drive home through TwentyninePalms.

Now that's a trip report! Awesome work and an awesome trip.

EPIC trip report. GREAT photos and EXCELLENT storytelling! :bowdown

Great trip report, Joe.

WAITING LIST

1. hove102 - L
2. Scott307 - XL
3. Jfanaselle - XXL
4. GRZLY - No size provided
5. anneinsd - S
6. brian90744 - XL
7. Andranin - Xl
8. KevinPham - L
9. brubar79 - No size provided
10. Tienckb - M
11. Tank80 - XL
12. Suntinez -
13. shanz3n5 -
14. Drubish - L
15. EwokPoacher - L
16. 1leg - XL
17. tubey1 - XXL
18. shadetreetim - XXL
19. weezerbot - S
20. SunnyD - XL

I nominate Joe to make the leap from MRV wait list to confirmed based on this outstanding report!

Very nice story telling with a ton of great photos. Well done sir! :cool:

Red X's are due to photos being hosted on Photobucket...

Wow Joe, you certainly know how to write a trip report. A journalist of your caliber would be some serious value-added to a trip like Mountain Rendevouz...

EDIT: And yet again I find myself late to the party. I saw you bowed out due to prior obligations that weekend. Then again, doesn't change your status as awesome.

Last edited:
I have fallen behind on a few threads, this being one of them. Just got a chance to read through it. Looks like an awesome trip, I love the are you were in, and the trip report was top notch. Thanks for sharing it

I agree with all that has been said. Mojave is one of favorite areas to explore, and this trip report has made me want to get out there again soon!!

Back
Top Bottom