Mid Atlantic Backroad Discovery route?

F250inTX

Adventurist
Hey Guys and gals... I'm planning my trip back to TX from NY next month... actually be coming back in July. Has anyone rode or have any info on this run? I think I would like to do it or at least some of it. I'll be by myself and in my Superduty w/ FWC. I am wondering if the truck may be too big? Any inside info would be appreciated!!! https://ridebdr.com/mabdr/

Runs right by my house... what would you like to know?

I know it can be done in just over a week if you don't have ADD. It goes by a lot of cool stuff so if you do have ADD you can take all the time in the world to run the length of the route.

Lots of opportunities for primitive camping, but double check which areas have designated primitive sites and which areas require permits. Things a little different on the east coast than out west on BLM land. There are plenty of place to camp outside of campgrounds, but it's a little trickier than the "park almost anywhere" approach out west.

The route itself is pretty tame. Mostly dirt/gravel forest service roads passible by anything 4wd. Some areas are better groomed than others and will be a few ounces of tar short of a paved road. Others are less maintained and prone to ruts and washouts necessitating 4wd for some sections.

As far as your truck, you'll be fine. Might be some areas that get a little tight with the Mountain Lural, so be prepared form some "West Virginia Pin Stripes." Beyond that you might hit the occasional low branch, but nothing I'd be too worried about. Might not hurt to pack a pole saw just in case.

Let me know when you're passing through and if I can provide any additional local knowledge (food, beverage, camping, entertainment, etc) let me know.

Dean this is exactly what I needed. I will drop my wife off at Newark Airport on the 6th. Hope to head to the Flight 93 Memorial and then hit the trail. I have no real time restrictions on trip home so will try and take it all in. I saw some old railroad bridge highlighted on a travel show. Built at the turn of century and ran for 80 years. A storm tore it down and never used again. The state never removed damaged part and it's now a tourist site you can walk part out and see the remains. I'm weird I want to see this too if you know of it? When I travel I'm always happy to meet up with like minded people would be nice to meet up with some of you :) The permits you speak of... obtain beforehand somewhere or can I get at each site?

Last edited:
I've done Virginia and West Virginia and as Dean said, you will have no problem with the roads. The southern most portion is mostly pavement. I found the sections starting in Covington, Va going north to be the best.

Monongahela NF in WV has good roads and can be very remote. You can explore for days. Sinks of Gandy, Spruce Knob, Dolly Sods and too many caves to possibly see.

Runs right by my house... what would you like to know?

I know it can be done in just over a week if you don't have ADD. It goes by a lot of cool stuff so if you do have ADD you can take all the time in the world to run the length of the route.

Lots of opportunities for primitive camping, but double check which areas have designated primitive sites and which areas require permits. Things a little different on the east coast than out west on BLM land. There are plenty of place to camp outside of campgrounds, but it's a little trickier than the "park almost anywhere" approach out west.

The route itself is pretty tame. Mostly dirt/gravel forest service roads passible by anything 4wd. Some areas are better groomed than others and will be a few ounces of tar short of a paved road. Others are less maintained and prone to ruts and washouts necessitating 4wd for some sections.

As far as your truck, you'll be fine. Might be some areas that get a little tight with the Mountain Lural, so be prepared form some "West Virginia Pin Stripes." Beyond that you might hit the occasional low branch, but nothing I'd be too worried about. Might not hurt to pack a pole saw just in case.

Let me know when you're passing through and if I can provide any additional local knowledge (food, beverage, camping, entertainment, etc) let me know.

Great info, thanks for sharing Dean! :coffee

I saw some old railroad bridge highlighted on a travel show. Built at the turn of century and ran for 80 years. A storm tore it down and never used again. The state never removed damaged part and it's now a tourist site you can walk part out and see the remains. I'm weird I want to see this too if you know of it?

The Kinzua Bridge. I went by there on my 2015 book trip. Very cool place. Well worth the stop. Also, that's up in @Haggis territory.

top124-050.jpg

The permits you speak of... obtain beforehand somewhere or can I get at each site?

It varies from district to district. I know for Michaux there used to be a form you can download and fill out before hand. Then you just stop by the ranger station to pick up your "permit." No charge, but it's a hoop to jump though. I know in other districts it's first come first serve. May not hurt to just give them a call. Been a lot of changes going on lately.

Dean that's the place... THANKS!!!

Yeah. I saw it pop up on a few shows recently. I think one of them was "Mysteries of the Abandoned" on the history channel. That show, along with "Aerial America" on the Smithstonian Channel, has given me so many ideas for places I want to visit.

When you get to MD and Green Ridge.

"Stickpile Tunnel got it's name from a hobo that was killed and was buried by covering him with a pile of sticks."
http://www.wmwestsub.com/stickpiletunnel.htm

Bottom of the page there are 2 links. "Go East" & "Go West". Each will move you in said direction to the next feature along the railway.

Just returned from an amazing trip. The discovery route was fun and scenic but camping was a bit difficult. Not sure what I did wrong but found only one dispersed or primitive spot. Not sure the rules (my fault) so stayed mostly at parks. Love the Flt 93 memorial. The mountains on the route were nice but not as cool as I had hoped temperature wise ;) There are parts I want to do again! On my way north I stayed at The Shenandoah National park... I'd also like to drive that entire park! Thanks to all that gave tips... enjoy your area to the max it's great!

Would love to see a trip report. I'm hoping to run it soon as my LJ is back on the road.

Back
Top Bottom