Mesh Tarps and Tent Footprints

Greg

Adventurist
Senior Staff
One of the things that came in really handy this past weekend at OEX East was the CGear sand mat. It did an excellent job preventing the ground from being torn up by foot traffic in the AAV booth while allowing water to drain away. I really wish I had a picture of the ground after the CGear was packed up to show the difference between the protected and unprotected turf.

I had a similar setup at the entrance to my Shiftpod. This used a 70% shade tarp from Tarps Now that is made from the similar material as the CGear sand mat with these notable differences in the material and construction.
  • The shade tarp is much less expensive but it is a single layer of material where as the CGear is doubled. The shade tarp also lacks the finish of the CGear having grommets through the material rather than the sewn in D-rings and edging.

• The CGear is made from polyethylene which is a more stable plastic than the polypropylene that he shade tarp is made out of. Polypropylene on the other hand is more resistant to material fatigue from repeated bending.
One thing I dislike about the Shiftpod is a lack of a footprint. Based on what I saw at OEX East my plan for the Shiftpod is to get a 15x15' mesh tarp from Tarps Now and use it as the footprint. The Shiftpod's ground awning tent peg holes will be matched up with added grommets in the mesh footprint. The small 2 man I carry with me on the motorcycle is going to get the same treatment with the footprint getting replaced by a mesh tarp.

Thanks for the heads up on the sand mat. I was familiar with the concept but didnt know what they were called. I can imagine how well that helped at OEX.

I have always tried to use a waterproof footprint for tents. Extra protection against moisture in the soil or poky things. If a factory option isn't available, a generic rectangle nylon/polyester tarp works with any oversized edges tucked underneath

The floor in the Shiftpod is a waterproof pan so I'm more concerned about wear from ground abrasion. I'm pretty sure the floor is a waterproof pan on the two man as well but I'll have to check. If not I'll reevaluate.

I got the idea to use mesh for the footprint when I was helping @TangoBlue pack up his OZtent. It too has a waterproof pan for the tent floor so the Oztent footprints are also mesh.

Thanks for the heads up on the sand mat. I was familiar with the concept but didnt know what they were called. I can imagine how well that helped at OEX.

I have always tried to use a waterproof footprint for tents. Extra protection against moisture in the soil or poky things. If a factory option isn't available, a generic rectangle nylon/polyester tarp works with any oversized edges tucked underneath
I too always used a standard poly tarp from the hardware store, even cut it down and mounted grommets to tie in with the tent floor pan. It provided a layer of protection from puncture but certainly not moisture.

Then I saw the OzTent footprint in action... holy crap did it keep the debris down from being tracked into the tent tub. Two layers of mesh, it sifted desert sands though the mesh keeping the floor relatively clean in dusty locations and even more recently in the day-long rain in Expo it kept the wet at bay by again draining the excess through. I got one and am so much more satisfied with it's performance. @Greg wasn't exaggerating either about the AAV booth floor it made that location that would have otherwise 2 inches of mud, neat and easily navigated.

This may not be "Overland Approved" but served us very well at Expo East.

https://www.amazon.com/Reversible-Mats-169127-12-Feet-Kokopelli/dp/B0049I0T0K

We kept it under our awning and we were able to cook, eat and drink there even in Friday's rain. Brought it home, hosed it off in the driveway and we're good to go for the next adventure.

If it works than who cares if it's "Overland Approved"

"100% virgin polypropylene material". It's the same material as the mesh ground/shade tarps from Tarps Now. Looks like it's double layered which will make it function just like the CGear sand mat. Nice find!

Back
Top Bottom