Mercedes X-Class Extended Pickup Spied Without Any Camo.

Now that I look at it, it really does look very Hilux/Ranger-ish.

19C6DA5B-EF52-40BB-8B48-5597F8B67BA8.jpeg

Also known as the Renault Alaskan... this global market stuff is misleading :lol

59493CAC-25BF-485C-99B5-9F2C62A7583D.jpeg

098A5F40-1D84-4EDD-B635-674808C58F3F.jpeg

A Nissan with Mercedes badges...brings to mind words like expensive and unreliable.

Your experience with Nissan must be close to the polar opposite that of mine. I would say that chassis is a solid and proven choice for that truck. Though I don't disagree with the expensive sentiment. I wonder what Mercedes will do with features and luxury refinements, will it be worth the premium... My guess is no.

Your experience with Nissan must be close to the polar opposite that of mine. I would say that chassis is a solid and proven choice for that truck. Though I don't disagree with the expensive sentiment. I wonder what Mercedes will do with features and luxury refinements, will it be worth the premium... My guess is no.

Agreed. Personally, I've always sort of despised these global platform rebadges. Not my cuppa but who knows, maybe it will be a really nice rig.

I've always sort of despised these global platform rebadges.

Can't disagree with that. It seems like a guarantee that you will be getting nothing groundbreaking in a vehicle shared among multiple companies. The most popular flavor of ice cream worldwide is vanilla... global platforms seem to play on the same recipe, so to speak.

Agreed. Personally, I've always sort of despised these global platform rebadges. Not my cuppa but who knows, maybe it will be a really nice rig.
How is this any different than domestic manufacturer platform re-badges that were going on well before international automotive manufacturer alliances, e.g., Chevy - GMC, or anything GM for that matter? Or, Ford - Lincoln - Mercury? Or, wait for it... Dodge - Plymouth - Chrysler?

The Middle-East Gas Crisis of 1973 is what spurred the industry to look at technology they did not have - smaller, fuel sipping autos - and develop global partnerships. The poor build quality and general consumer dissatisfaction also contributed to the success of that initiative as all of Detroit's automakers began bringing in International partner vehicles.

Our first new vehicle purchase as a married couple, some 40 years ago, was a 1980 Dodge Colt (Plymouth Champ) which was originally sold in Japan as the Mitsubishi Mirage. It was a very reliable car and performed exactly as advertised. It certainly contributed to my view of Japanese originated vehicles having a higher build quality and greater reliability than any US products of the time. Don't try to convince me otherwise on this point... I had a Chevrolet Vega.

With the mid size truck market exploding here in the US it can’t help but be a good thing for us if MB brings its A game. Who knows maybe some of the G wagon goodness will spill over into this truck ..

How is this any different than domestic manufacturer platform re-badges that were going on well before international automotive manufacturer alliances, e.g., Chevy - GMC, or anything GM for that matter? Or, Ford - Lincoln - Mercury? Or, wait for it... Dodge - Plymouth - Chrysler?

The Middle-East Gas Crisis of 1973 is what spurred the industry to look at technology they did not have - smaller, fuel sipping autos - and develop global partnerships. The poor build quality and general consumer dissatisfaction also contributed to the success of that initiative as all of Detroit's automakers began bringing in International partner vehicles.

Our first new vehicle purchase as a married couple, some 40 years ago, was a 1980 Dodge Colt (Plymouth Champ) which was originally sold in Japan as the Mitsubishi Mirage. It was a very reliable car and performed exactly as advertised. It certainly contributed to my view of Japanese originated vehicles having a higher build quality and greater reliability than any US products of the time. Don't try to convince me otherwise on this point... I had a Chevrolet Vega.

It's no different. Ford Courier, Chevy Luv, Dodge Ram 50... I remember them well. It's when my loathing began :D

I had a 1983.5 Datsun/Nissan long bed truck. It had both names on the truck. I'd love to see another compact truck. I find it interesting that the article calls it the first "luxury" truck. I've seen some pretty fancy trucks. I don't think this is anything special.

I had a 1983.5 Datsun/Nissan long bed truck. It had both names on the truck. I'd love to see another compact truck. I find it interesting that the article calls it the first "luxury" truck. I've seen some pretty fancy trucks. I don't think this is anything special.

Yeah, Lincoln Blackwood IIRC, any of the F series in King Ranch or Platinum trims are luxo status

What if I told you I’ve already seen one, touched one, inspected it thoroughly? The Mercedes that is.

Back
Top Bottom