Memorial Day - Overmountain Victory Drive - Cowpens and Kings Mountain

Bryanseye

Adventurist
I heard there were some good sales going on today, and indeed a cookout was in order later this afternoon, but more importantly Memorial Day deserves some time devoted to remember where much of our freedom came from. Overhead were the dark clouds from a tropical influence, so it was going to be wet. No matter, we had the luxury of asphalt and air conditioning that those that traveled this route in the past did not know to miss.

By 1780, the Revolutionary War had not been a smashing success for the Patriots. Several key locations had recently fallen to the crown and Benedict Arnold earned his infamy that year. However, responding to a threat made by Major Ferguson (inventor of the Ferguson Rifle and reported to have passed up a shot at George Washington) that anyone in the Appalachian region still pursing the American cause would be dealt with, a militia was formed and the Overmountain Men began their trip to make good on the challenge. In October they would arrive at Kings Mountain and route the British forces it what became a turning point in the war for independence.

Today you can drive along in the spirit of their journey and follow 330 miles of roads that follow near the known path they traveled. https://www.nps.gov/ovvi/index.htm

We loaded the big tree family hauler and got onto the route where South Carolina Highway 9 and 11 intersect. It was raining off and on but we soon spotted the Overmountain Victory Trail sign. The route is marked on the NC gazeteer but not the SC version. We soon realized that the road was very well marked but the gazetteer wasn't very accurate and my navigator switched to sign spotting duties.
D669AB75-FF42-4C6C-A3A2-79781E1B20B8.jpeg

First stop, Cowpens National Battlefield. https://www.nps.gov/cowp/index.htm The Overmountain Men stopped here too, but this was not yet a battlefield then. Within months of their visit it would become the site of another pivotal victory for the Americans. It is a great little park with a nice walking path. With several information sources painting the picture, it is easy to envision the battle develop across the green field as the American's maneuvered and squeezed Tarelton's forces in a double envelopment. 12 souls.
E5F8868D-8A0A-4986-9C05-CAB6057D1FE0.jpeg

Bring a lunch and stay for a while, or get back on Hwy 11 and head into Gaffney to eat at Harold's. I find that some of these places that brag about having been on one of the numerous food related TV shows offer little than that 15 minutes of fame trivia. Not so here. Small-town southern charm (not the lazy version), excellent fried pickles, and a bar in the back. Highly recommended.
1D0F3530-E34A-4C33-8248-B3A931C584A3.jpeg

Back on route we stayed on a combination of back roads and a small section that paralleled the interstate. Only once was there a questionable intersection and we guessed right (left, actually). Before long we passed the Welcome to Kings Mountain sign and turned into the parking lot. https://www.nps.gov/kimo/index.htm

It was during Ken Burn's familiar narration of the battle in the visitor center theater, retelling the key moments of this terrible struggle with the faint soundtrack of musket fire and soldiers' voices shouting, that my 5 year old leaned over and asked, "Is this the sacrifice you were talking about?" "Yes," I replied. 28 souls.

F3FF16B1-33CD-4A55-91F1-0405AB607AC1.jpeg

I like this kind of trip, and I've driven past Cowpens a thousand times. Next time I'll stop.

Thanks,
You should. It is a nice park and lacking the crowds that fill up many of the more well known sites. It was an important mark on the independence time line (Kings Mountain too) but was far from the political epicenter in the NE, and missing George Washington, so doesn't get much play in most text books.

Back
Top Bottom