Memorial Day Camping

100acre

Adventurist
So what do y'all do when you're on the road and wanna find a good campsite away from all of the rest of the crowds and crazy tourists from around the globe. I'm gonna be out there in America Land and I'd like to go somewhere quiet. It was mayhem finding camping that weekend last year. I don't have reservations anywhere and I'm assuming I may be in southern Utah, S. Nevada, or S. California. Do the Western members of AAV gather anywhere? I'm taking suggestions, so thanks in advance.:)

The federal government owns more of those states than anyone and remote camping is very easy to find anywhere on BLM land. I don't recall the exact rules as to how far you have to be off a paved road but it's not far and should be easy to look up for whatever area you're travelling in.

Look for BLM (Bureau of Land Management...I question the "management" part at times) land along your route in the western states, Google is your friend for local/state restrictions on said BLM land.

Remote and obscure are the watchwords. If you have to get there by foot, that eliminates a lot of people. If it's not world-famous that helps too. Yosemite Valley would be the antithesis of what I'm talking about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Remote and obscure are the watchwords. If you have to get there by foot, that eliminates a lot of people. If it's not world-famous that helps too. Yosemite Valley would be the antithesis of what I'm talking about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I imagine most of the national parks will be pretty insane. Last year I found myself in Zion NP on Memorial Day, and it was an utter madhouse. I had totally forgot about the holiday. When you're on an adventure, everyday is a holiday.

I imagine most of the national parks will be pretty insane. Last year I found myself in Zion NP on Memorial Day, and it was an utter madhouse. I had totally forgot about the holiday. When you're on an adventure, everyday is a holiday.

Yeah national parks on a holiday, no no no. Nearby Zion is Quail Creek state park, Sand Hollow state park (a little crazy but the primitive camping area is nice), White House CG near Kanab is amazing and silent.

What has become a favorite stopping point for me is right off the 15 freeway in AZ. Yes - a freeway. Mostly cause of easy access for an overnighter but gorgeous, I stayed 2 nights once cause I was having so much fun hiking the canyon. Virgin River Canyon campground, $12 I think and the mellowest camp host ever. Go down to the group camp, no one cares.

1689932_1065861046762719_4718941917011466762_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom