Megacab VS Crewcab Ram 2500

ohanacrusader

Adventurist
First post, long time reader on Expedition Portal, but very glad a fellow member recommend this site prior to my next build.

So I got everything dialed in and the truck will be ordered in the next week or so depending on dealers responses since ordering via email But I still have the thought in the back of my head, am I making a mistake by going with the Megacab vs Crewcab in the Ram 2500 Diesel short bed. I listed the difference below in the way of measurements. Some reason why I original decided to go with the Megacab are my height being 6'8 I need the seat adjusted as far back as possible at all times, storage behind the seats, reclining back seats, and more storage. On our last full-size build I had a Tundra 2nd Gen Crewmax, and that fit us great being two adults and two kids (which I think my son will be just as tall as me in the near future). The difference from the Crew Max to the Ram 2500 Megacab is 20" and the turning radius for the Megacab increases 2' over Crewmax. I liked the fact when we went into bear country I could hide a shotgun behind the seat with out it being notice and still recline and adjust the seats in the crew max and hopefully in the Megacab.

Now to specs Megacab vs. Crew Cab with 6'4 bed(same as Megacab bed), the length/wheel base difference is 11.1 inches longer, 12.1 inches of storage behind back seat, and leg room in back seat is 3.3 inches longer.

Only thing I can't know before buying is how my departure angle will change and how the truck handles having that big of a wheel base. If anybody has experience or insight I am all ears.

I don't think your departure angle is going to suffer, I suspect the bed length behind the rear axle will stay the same, regardless of cab length. What will suffer is what is called the "breakover angle", and that is due to the wheelbase...essentially, the mega cab will be more prone to getting "high centered" than the conventional crew cab will.

Glad to see you made it over this way.

Forgot to mention this over on the expo post; I checked out a mega cab 3500 that was at a local event here and was amazed at the size of the cab. It kinda sold me on going that route over the crew cab size. The back was massive and I like the idea of being able to store stuff in the cab and also have plenty of roof for my kids as the grow. Like you I know my son is going to be tall and the idea of him not having room to stretch out in the back makes me go towards the mega cab. Just think how much happier the kids will be in the back with the extra room which will make you happier on long hauls. If you want I can check out a crew cab and let you know how I fit in the back, I'm 6'2", and give you an honest opinion if you need the mega cab.

Glad to see you made it over this way.

Forgot to mention this over on the expo post; I checked out a mega cab 3500 that was at a local event here and was amazed at the size of the cab. It kinda sold me on going that route over the crew cab size. The back was massive and I like the idea of being able to store stuff in the cab and also have plenty of roof for my kids as the grow. Like you I know my son is going to be tall and the idea of him not having room to stretch out in the back makes me go towards the mega cab. Just think how much happier the kids will be in the back with the extra room which will make you happier on long hauls. If you want I can check out a crew cab and let you know how I fit in the back, I'm 6'2", and give you an honest opinion if you need the mega cab.

Before I left for deployment I sat in the back seat and I even fit very comfortably, so thanks for the offer but that has been answered. I am still 90% sure that Megacab is the way to go its just that concern of the break over angle with the longer wheel base. Thanks for the thoughts, and please keep them coming.

First post, long time reader on Expedition Portal, but very glad a fellow member recommend this site prior to my next build.

So I got everything dialed in and the truck will be ordered in the next week or so depending on dealers responses since ordering via email But I still have the thought in the back of my head, am I making a mistake by going with the Megacab vs Crewcab in the Ram 2500 Diesel short bed. I listed the difference below in the way of measurements. Some reason why I original decided to go with the Megacab are my height being 6'8 I need the seat adjusted as far back as possible at all times, storage behind the seats, reclining back seats, and more storage. On our last full-size build I had a Tundra 2nd Gen Crewmax, and that fit us great being two adults and two kids (which I think my son will be just as tall as me in the near future). The difference from the Crew Max to the Ram 2500 Megacab is 20" and the turning radius for the Megacab increases 2' over Crewmax. I liked the fact when we went into bear country I could hide a shotgun behind the seat with out it being notice and still recline and adjust the seats in the crew max and hopefully in the Megacab.

Now to specs Megacab vs. Crew Cab with 6'4 bed(same as Megacab bed), the length/wheel base difference is 11.1 inches longer, 12.1 inches of storage behind back seat, and leg room in back seat is 3.3 inches longer.

Only thing I can't know before buying is how my departure angle will change and how the truck handles having that big of a wheel base. If anybody has experience or insight I am all ears.

First off, welcome to American Adventurist. Second, I own a 2016 Ram Crewcab and I'm 6'4. The seating is great for me even on VERY long road trips which I do quite a bit of as you know. I do not think there is a BIT of difference in how far back the driver's seat goes back between the Crew and the Mega cab. I bet it's the exact same seat/track/part # but please correct me if I am wrong.

That said, the down sides to the Mega in my humble opinion are many, the extended length/breakover angle/turning radius are not worth it IMHO. Fo what we do (back country off road travel), the Mega is less than ideal. My vote for you would be the Crew Cab.

I would offer a bit of advice on trim level and model - if I were to do it again it would be a Laramie 3500. Period. Especially if you are going to do a camper. Less mods to do on a 3500.

Thank you, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your thread and found it very well done and informative. I will keep your thoughts in mind and do believe you are right about the front seat being no different.

First off, welcome to American Adventurist. Second, I own a 2016 Ram Crewcab and I'm 6'4. The seating is great for me even on VERY long road trips which I do quite a bit of as you know. I do not think there is a BIT of difference in how far back the driver's seat goes back between the Crew and the Mega cab. I bet it's the exact same seat/track/part # but please correct me if I am wrong.

That said, the down sides to the Mega in my humble opinion are many, the extended length/breakover angle/turning radius are not worth it IMHO. Fo what we do (back country off road travel), the Mega is less than ideal. My vote for you would be the Crew Cab.

I would offer a bit of advice on trim level and model - if I were to do it again it would be a Laramie 3500. Period. Especially if you are going to do a camper. Less mods to do on a 3500.
Dave
I thought I read in your build thread that you specifically wanted the 2500 vs the 3500 to avoid rear leaf springs. What changed your mind?

Cheers

I am sold on the Mega Cab, it really does seem like the right fit for my family. I also just found some information that finalized this answer, I was under the impression that the Mega Cab is the same length as the crew cab with an 8' bed, but after looking at the specs the Mega cab has a shorter wheel base by 9 inches and the over all length is shorter by just under a foot in the Mega cab. So now the final question will be what kind of deal can I get since I have to haggle and communicate all via email to place the order. Thanks guys for the help and once I have the truck I will start a build thread.

Back
Top Bottom