Meal Delivery Services

Garrett

Adventurist
Does anyone else use the delivery kits?

I currently use Blue Apron one or two weeks per month and I like it. It takes the planning out of the whole thing and I only order it if the three meals are all appetizing.

I did try Freshly, the meals that you just pop in the microwave, but the variety was lacking and homemade leftovers taste better to me. I canceled after a month.

I know some of you may disagree with this newfangled way of acquiring food for millenials, but it's popular! What else has anyone tried?

Does anyone else use the delivery kits?

I currently use Blue Apron one or two weeks per month and I like it. It takes the planning out of the whole thing and I only order it if the three meals are all appetizing.

I did try Freshly, the meals that you just pop in the microwave, but the variety was lacking and homemade leftovers taste better to me. I canceled after a month.

I know some of you may disagree with this newfangled way of acquiring food for millenials, but it's popular! What else has anyone tried?

I haven’t tried it but it is interesting. In the age of Amazon, delivered food is a natural market progression.

:easy

I personally haven't and I don't see it as something as advantageous for those with basic skills as a cook or decades of recipes in their brain or cupboard. Because OAF. Besides, it usually works out to be a team activity, i.e., I have to actually talk to my wife to plan food to have on hand, menus, and jointly preparing meals. So there's your downside... ;)

My children have used it and have reported favorably on the quality of the products and ingredients, as well as the appeal of the recipes and relative ease of preparation. They've since stopped using those services, learning that it wasn't all that convenient nor was it financially reasonable in the long-term.

I assert their success is capitalizing on a portion of the population that never really learned to cook, have busy schedules, a lot of disposable income, and feels an obligation to eat healthy for themselves or their family based on the alternative of easily ordered carry-out meal options. For breakfast, lunch, and dinner...

The exploding phenomenon I find truly mind-boggling is this - "carry out". Specifically, I mean the franchise restaurant take away like Outback, TGIF, Ruby Tuesday, etc. This I find truly staggering as these foods are EXPENSIVE and most often hardly even close to being healthy, eaten routinely, and for whole families. I'm not suggesting never eat at these places, just not daily.

Food is heritage and culture... preparing food is self-sufficiency... cooking is science and learning opportunity... sharing time with your kids and being creative is love... what are these families teaching their children; what are they sacrificing for convenience? "Remember the Blooming Onion with extra ranch dressing Mom used to unbox"? "Yup, working 9 to 5 - bringing home the Ru-Tues...".

TB nailed it!! Besides nothing like selecting the right piece of meat or fish not to mention a ripe tomato.
Just not for me

TB nailed it!! Besides nothing like selecting the right piece of meat or fish not to mention a ripe tomato.
Just not for me
Exactly! Fondling vegetables and fruit, selecting those of the best quality, which I learned from my mother and grandmother.

Just yesterday I sorted through slabs of my favorite packaged bacon, searching for the pound of thick sliced with the most consistent marbling and meat to fat ratio. Learned how to select good cuts of meat from my grandfather. the struggle is real, but the end product is so good. Mmm... and delicious rendered and strained bacon grease. :D

Who else does this?

Last edited:
^^^^I do...following along with the Bad News thread for Machelle, I had my second "you're over 50" physical a week or so ago. I have a history of high cholesterol, apparently I was going for high score. I don't remember the number, but it's bad enough that my optometrist could see it during an eye exam over the last year or two, blood test confirmed it...no more fried foods for me.

I've always taken a gander at the "exposed" slice of bacon and rifled through the packages to find the best one. I usually go to the butcher block and get it where I can take a look at it. I REFUSE to give up PORK bacon...I want to have a walkout, strike, public demonstration on the mall in DC or something every time I see the words "turkey" and "bacon" on the same package. It's turkey breakfast meat that simulates the shape of genuine pork belly bacon at best!:cool:

If cholesterol is what kills me, I'll smell like bacon when the cremate me, or feed my corpse to the sharks or wolves...I'm sure either would appreciate a fresh fat guy thrown to them!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom