Maybe not

Status
Not open for further replies.

buckwilk

Adventurist
I went to the 2013 desert. Not one person spoke to me. I have an old truck and no high dollar gear. I'm signed up and paid on wait list for this years event. I'm older now and not sure I should show up.

I've been to numerous DRV's, I don't know that I've ever encountered a snob attitude towards anyone based on their gear. Quite frankly, I don't really give a damn what someone thinks of my gear, if it's what get's me by and makes me happy, screw the rest of the world and their titanium twizzle sticks!

I enjoy walking around and seeing the gear that others enjoy collecting. Every now and again I find something that will improve my outdoors experience.

I come from the "rock crawler" background depicted in one of the recent meme's. We'd show up at a run with a decent tow rig/trailer with a beat, battered, loosely assembled collection of parts we called "rock crawlers", a couple cases of beer, a pack of hot dogs, a surplus sleeping bag and a cheap tent...and have the time of our lives. Of course, we usually had enough tools and parts in camp to open a decent repair shop!

I went to the 2013 desert. Not one person spoke to me. I have an old truck and no high dollar gear. I'm signed up and paid on wait list for this years event. I'm older now and not sure I should show up.

I'll be in a gray Jeep. I'll be coming in on fumes, running late no doubt, and strung out from the road as I'm coming from Florida.

Lets hang out :clang

I never been to any of American Adventurist Rendezvous, every time I want to go & plan for one them some thing comes up & keeps me & the wife from going. I know I will attend eventually.
I have to agree with bob91yj comment, I aint no rock crawler but I too don't really give a damn what someone thinks of my gear, what I drive or pull. I too like to check out the gear & ideas every one else has to give me new ideas for me & the wife. Plus I want Dave met with my Husqvarna ball cap on :D

AAV events have always been welcoming to any and all people. We all share the same love of spending time in the outdoors and our vehicles are our means to get out there. At events you will find everything from old beater truck to full out Earthroamers. Most all do not care what you drive or what gear you have. Many come out to get ideas for their builds and to see how others have made their vehicle of choice, the way that works for them.

At the same time, in most social situations, you will need to put yourself out there and strike up a conversation. Everyone I have ever met at any of the AAV events, have always been warm and welcoming. Easiest way I find to start that convo is to go around checking out rigs and then asking the owner a question about something they have done. In almost all cases, they are always happy to talk. The nightly fire ring is another great place to talk to people or the potluck. The way to meet people is to talk to people and just have fun!

The nightly fire ring is another great place to talk to people or the potluck. The way to meet people is to talk to people and just have fun!

Great point.

One of the challenges that we have had at previous Rendezvous events (especially Desert) is people spread out and you see multiple fire rings.

I'd like to ask folks NOT to do that.

Rather than being off on your own program (especially Saturday night) join the group at our MAIN CAMPFIRE and socialize. Bring your firewood over and throw it on.

We're in the Desert, the bigger the bonfire the better!

:campfire

Go. It's a good crowd.

We went to our first Appalachian Rendezvous last year, and didn't know a soul. We picked a random spot where our stuff would fit and left with new friends and stories to tell. Just walk up to your neighbors or that truck you want to check out and say hello. Conversation will follow. It helps if you bring an extra beer. It's not necessary. But it helps. It doesn't even have to be good beer.

We enjoyed it enough that we are opting out of other events so we can make sure we are at the next one.

Go. It's a good crowd.

We went to our first Appalachian Rendezvous last year, and didn't know a soul. We picked a random spot where our stuff would fit and left with new friends and stories to tell. Just walk up to your neighbors or that truck you want to check out and say hello. Conversation will follow. It helps if you bring an extra beer. It's not necessary. But it helps. It doesn't even have to be good beer.

We enjoyed it enough that we are opting out of other events so we can make sure we are at the next one.

:thumbsup

@buckwilk - I've attended multiple Appalachian Rendezvous and met some of the west coast AAv crew at Overland Expo in Flagstaff over the years. The Rendezvous are what you make them. If you want to keep to yourself, few if any will bother you. If you want to make friends, you'll make a lot of friends. My first rendezvous in 2015 I was new and knew no one in person. I showed up in my a baby Jeep and 2-person ground tent. My gear was so basic my site was nick-named "camp humble." So if anyone mentions your gear it will be in good fun. What I like most about the rendezvous is the people. It's one of the things that separates AAv events from other events out there.

I'll be in a gray Jeep. I'll be coming in on fumes, running late no doubt, and strung out from the road as I'm coming from Florida.

Need a co-pilot or is the family going along? :dunno

Found the meme...

IMG_20200201_221230.jpg

I have found that saying "Hi" to a stranger can be difficult at first as I'm shy but they always respond and a conversation ensues. So the first person you see standing there alone. Say Hi and go from there.

Your welcome to my camp anytime. Biscuits and gravy for beeakfast, or ribeyes for dinner on Thursday night. Plenty of beer to wash it down. Food and drink make friends my friend! Hope you have some good stories, You can find me via my avatar.

I gotta ask, what kind of truck you have that's "old"???

We never want you to feel unwelcome. This is about being outside, enjoying the outdoors, meeting new and old friends. Your vehicle and what gear you have makes no difference and does not make nor determine the person you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom