mattress

ArkansasDon

Adventurist
here's a good read, but lengthy https://www.sleepjunkie.org/are-memory-foam-mattresses-safe/
The wife & I notice just laying on the mattress of our RRT that ..........lot to be desired. We thought about ordering a new custom mattress 2" gel memory gel when she came across this article hazards of these mattress's.
We ended up with 2 Thermarest pads Basecamp models to lay over the existing mattress. I notice on the net theirs the same complaints about RTT's mattress's.

If you put the 2 sleeping pads UNDER the mattress, you will be happier. Plus you can just "deflate" them and leave them under there. Thats what I did for 2 years with our first roof top tent.

Timely topic.

We are going to Africa for a month May and the LC's we're renting come with a RTT. It has been reccomended to me that we consider bringing an inflatable pad to put under the mattress and I was wondering what people who do this use.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Timely topic.

We are going to Africa for a month May and the LC's we're renting come with a RTT. It has been reccomended to me that we consider bringing an inflatable pad to put under the mattress and I was wondering what people who do this use.

I think that would be too tough on your back, but I suppose the tickets are non-refundable. I recommend you surrender those tickets to some old guy, like myself, whose back is beyond repair and quite expendable. Please PM me for contact information at your leisure.

You're welcome!

Timely topic.

Thermarest Basecamp:D

the wife I just came back from a camping trip thinking we solved our problem with restless night of sleep.

What I've read on line in the past with RTT mattresses they have poor quality & make for bad nights sleep. We've tried Thremarest self inflating pads underneath our mattress even tried memory foam toppers (having the Thremarest basecamp pad then Smittybilt mattress & the memory foam topper) still horrible, added sleeping bags underneath our Smittybilt mattress & the memory foam, not any better. We both still wake up stiff, sore, achy joints & hips.
What I am looking for is a system that I don't have to huff up (blow up) then deflate or put in & take out every time we pull in or leave from camp back home.
I am not looking for a cheap way or quick fix, what I am looking for is a solution or solid suggestion that works for long term comfort & a good night sleep in our RTT that I can leave in the RTT when opening up @ camp or closing up the tent to head home.

What have you all done that works for you RTT owners for these poor quality pancake flat mattresses?
040.JPG

Last edited:
We slipped a couple of inexpensive closed cell sleeping pads from Walmart under the mattress of our Autohome Maggiolina. Two standard sized pads fit in side by side perfectly with no trimming. It also added additional R Value. Made a huge difference in multinight comfort with little expense.

^^^^Back when Target sold Eddie Bauer branded camping gear I bought two of their self inflating mattress pads (with some skepticism at how well they would work)...after 10 years or so, one of them leaks, the plastic buckles for the cinch straps are broken...and I still use both of them. Our camper "mattress" is the plywood base, two layers of 2" "memory foam" (I cut up two 2" Queen size pads to fit because I already had them...failed experiment to help sleep in my regular bed with a bad backbone :cool:)...and said Eddie Bauer/Target self inflating mattress pads. For whatever reason, those cheap/leaking/worn out m attress pads make all of the difference in our camper bed.

This thread is enough for me to think about treating myself to a new pad!:cool:

I just did a quick look at the Therma Rest site. They used to have a "full size" mattress, doesn't look like they have one anymore. Anyone have a recommendation on a full size, self inflating mattress? I'm old, my doc says I'm fat, I enjoy the comforts of life a little more (Ok a lot more) these days...hardcore, sleeping where you land in the dirt is a distant memory. We are usually in our slide in truck camper but still tent camp time to time. Packed size for a mattress isn't that big of a deal.

Last edited:
I went full on new mattress, it's medium foam, 2.5" then perforated latex 1.5 or 2" on top. It was an online place that sold it with the cover. It's about a foot short of the original mattress, but it works well, shoes and clothes can go there, slide it towards the ladder when you want to fold and blanket and pillows eta go in the void on the other side.

I have this 6" Milliard mattress from Amazon in my teardrop, and it is wonderful. I have a sore back, and am particular on mattresses, preferring something pretty firm. But this foam supports me well, and is very comfortable. I don't think a 6" would work in a RTT, but they do make a 4" version that might fit.

Amazon link: http://amzn.to/2HDcGHe

Last edited:
We sleep on a tempurpedic mattress here at home, best dang mattress I've ever owned......I know I wont get the comfort as I do from my home mattress but if I can get at least 1\3 or better I would be happy.

Tomorrow, Saturday the wife & I (with our RTT mattress) are headed down to Batesville to this huge upholstery warehouse fabric supply outlet & look at all of their closed cell foam, high density polyethylene foam, memory foam to build our own mattress that will fit us in comfort. They have in-house recommended seamstress that will make the mattress cover using our original Smittybilt mattress as a template.

If this works which I will have a feeling it will I will sale my Smittybilt Tent & order their larger XL model so we can have a little more room & do the same to that mattress

I just did a quick look at the Therma Rest site. They used to have a "full size" mattress, doesn't look like they have one anymore. Anyone have a recommendation on a full size, self inflating mattress? I'm old, my doc says I'm fat, I enjoy the comforts of life a little more (Ok a lot more) these days...hardcore, sleeping where you land in the dirt is a distant memory. We are usually in our slide in truck camper but still tent camp time to time. Packed size for a mattress isn't that big of a deal.

Look up EXPED

https://www.amazon.com/Exped-MegaMa...1521217330&sr=8-3&keywords=exped+sleeping+mat

thanks, just ordered Exped MegaMat Duo 10 Long/Wide: 77.6" x 52" x 3.9" I talked with the service rep on the phone, they didn't know if the mattress will deflate completely when the tent is folded up. I'm wanting to leave it in the tent, so all I have to do is pop open the inflate valve & set up camp, 1 to 1 1\2hrs later a few puffs from the pump & will be done

Last edited:
thanks, just ordered Exped MegaMat Duo 10 Long/Wide: 77.6" x 52" x 3.9" I talked with the service rep on the phone, they didn't know if the mattress will deflate completely when the tent is folded up. I'm wanting to leave it in the tent, so all I have to do is pop open the inflate valve & set up camp, 1 to 1 1\2hrs later a few puffs from the pump & will be done

Let us know how it works out. EXPED is a Swiss company IIRC, pretty extensive product line and seemed to be very high quality.

I will, the only concern I have is...will it deflate enough as I fold the tent for storage (halves head & foot) @ the hinge point?

Back
Top Bottom