Marine Corps Marathon and Semper Fi Fund

jscusmcvet

Adventurist
Hey guys - I just spoke with Dave and got the OK to post this:

I'm proudly supporting the Semper Fi Fund as I run as part of the 2016 Marine Corps Marathon Team. The Semper Fi Fund is an amazing nonprofit that assists wounded, critically ill and injured service members who have given so much and are an inspiration to many.
https://runsignup.com/Race/14046/Donate/ieawQx507ULhS47d
Help me support my fellow Marines and other service members by making a donation. The process is fast, easy, and secure. The Semper Fi Fund has been awarded the highest ratings from watchdog groups: A+ Top Rated Charity ...from CharityWatch, one of only three veteran nonprofits to receive this rating in recent years; and 4 Stars from Charity Navigator a rating only given to 4% of all charities. The organization maintains an extremely low overhead - 6% - and provide rapid assistance with no red tape.
I truly appreciate any contributions you can provide. If you can't make a donation at this point, help me reach my goal by sharing this on Facebook!
Even better, send an email to friends you think might be interested in contributing and include a link to my page. To learn more about the Semper Fi Fund please go to www.semperfifund.org.
Thanks so much for your generosity!
John - USMC 1985-1989

Another 16 miler in the books this morning. Faster, but almost all road, so that was expected. Soaking the feet as I type this. Ann had some concoction she mixes with the water that works like a charm. I have a few more long runs left in my training plan, at least an 18 and a 20 miler. It is going to work out well to have the week off between ARV and Expo, as that is when that 20 miler falls.

Last edited:
Ann surprised me today with a slight modification to the Nathan hydration pack that I wear for my long runs... and that I will be wearing for the marathon. She is awesome. Make sure you stop by at ARV and meet her. Ooh Rah - 18 miler coming this weekend - my son is joining me for that one.
IMG_2722.JPG
IMG_2721.JPG

Hey John, as I have learned on the interwebs, the wear of that will attract attention of the more nefarious elements of society. This could likely make you a target they will approach first... (ohh... I know what he's going to say to that... :D)

Hey John, as I have learned on the interwebs, the wear of that will attract attention of the more nefarious elements of society. This could likely make you a target they will approach first... (ohh... I know what he's going to say to that... :D)
Yeah... but in THIS case the need for a few jarheads along the way that will give me a hearty "Ooh Rah" or "Do or Die" when this fat old Marine needs it the most... outweighs the worry about any nefarious elements... and of course... as you expected... They are welcome to bring what they got... After the NJ 5k bombing last weekend my sister called to tell me I should not run in the MCM... "ummm, yeah..." was all I could muster :)

18 in the books this morning. Slower, but done. Actually since it is for the Marine Corps Marathon, I finished at 17.75 miles... now on to Tun Tavern...:salute

Next week at ARV, I will be doing a slow easy 8 miler if anyone wants to join in. I promise I won't ask you to call cadence.

John you running road or trail at ARV?
@Matt414 I'm up for whatever. I am sure I quite a bit slower than you (or anyone!) but if you want to chug along a little bit, that's what I am about. I thought we might be able to head out from camp and go over to the OHV area and see what we can find on foot... If you don't mind slow going I am up for whatever morning works best.

Well folks, this one is in the books. Finished with something resembling a smile, some sore feet and some leg cramps, but finished. Thank you to each of you who donated. Heavy duty motivation along the route, including literally thousands of Marines... working and cheering runners on and some pretty somber reminders of service members killed in action on the Wear Blue Mile. Stirring day.

Glad to be done.

Back
Top Bottom