Mantle Lanterns or LED Battery Lanterns?

I use those oil lamps at home still when the power goes out. It's what my parents did when I was a kid so it has sentimental value.. but I would hate to travel with them!

I use those oil lamps at home still when the power goes out. It's what my parents did when I was a kid so it has sentimental value.. but I would hate to travel with them!

I have a plastic milk crate that holds three and a bottle of oil. Some careful placement of plastic dividers keeps them from tipping or spilling. It's not bad but they certainly take a lot of room. We use them around the house to keep the bugs away when we're on the back deck as well.

I still use my Coleman multi fuel and love it. I do also use other LED lighting systems which admittedly are much easier and less fuss. Most of what I have I can recharge using solar or a USB while on the move. The biggest issue I have with the Coleman is I always seem to have to put in new mantles at each camp. They seem to break off with the vehicle going around over the trails and rocks throughout the day. I don't mind the hissing noise emitted from the as I usually place them a little away from the camp after were done cooking and cleaning up. I know some folks will surely snicker at me but I also have some Dietz oil lamps I still bring from time to time. They might throw the light that some like but I don't really care for some sort of spot light/beacon lighting system and I like the soft glow that comes off of an oil lamp.

I have some cheap dietz lanterns. they're like 15 bucks, they add some ambience at camp plus they burn through the night on like 7 oz of kerosene.

Back
Top Bottom