Mantle Lanterns or LED Battery Lanterns?

ArkansasDon

Adventurist
I was going thru our gear for our up & coming Thanksgiving Day trip & notice that my propane lantern the plastic base around the control knob was broken in 2 places. I do own a few battery powered LED lanterns but IMO they aint the same when camping: cooking, visiting, relaxing that sound they give off when lit. To me it feels like camping. I ordered another new 2 mantle Coleman Propane & it will shipped to me before we leave. Do any of you still use the mantle type lanterns?

Gave mine to my dad and went all electric. Smaller size, recharge in the truck, less need for propane, etc.
I still prefer the gas ones though for all the reasons you listed.

I've still got a pair of them that I got for Christmas in the 70's or early 80's, but I don't take them out anymore. I agree that they add something. The noise would be annoying to some, but like you, it just 'sounds' like camping to me. But . . . . for getting things done, I carry rechargeable ones that don't need propane, don't need mantles, don't break mantles or glass globes on rough roads, and go on and off at the flip of a switch.

Once set-up and prep are done, you don't need as much light. For those, more relaxed, times, I carry a couple of the brass UCO candle lanterns - pretty good light, but not so bright as to be annoying, and I usually carry a few regular candles as well. We often eat dinner by the light of a candle stuck in last night's wine bottle. I like the old kerosene lanterns too, but I don't even know where mine are.

I still have two coleman propane mantle lanterns and will continue to use them until they are no more. Love these things and the light thry put off is a lot less straining to the eyes compared to the LEDs. It definitely feels more like camping with the propane lanterns.

I still have two coleman propane mantle lanterns and will continue to use them until they are no more. Love these things and the light thry put off is a lot less straining to the eyes compared to the LEDs. It definitely feels more like camping with the propane lanterns.

Not all lights are created equal. Choosing the right LED helps, 3k to 3.5k is the sweet spot for me ;)

D79E1550-F760-4FC1-A8BE-05A75C221D34.jpeg

It is not camping without the soothing hiss/roar of a Coleman lantern. Leds are so much smaller , easier to use but lack the ambiance. Perhaps a phone app with the sound of a Coleman lantern one can play while using a LED light.

Better yet a LED Coleman looking light with a built in speaker and chip with the noise.

I get by with one high quality led head lamp and one small led flashlight for backup. I've become weight obsessed, using the exact same gear for paddle camping, back packing and jeep camping. One system for all.

It is not camping without the soothing hiss/roar of a Coleman lantern. Leds are so much smaller , easier to use but lack the ambiance. Perhaps a phone app with the sound of a Coleman lantern one can play while using a LED light.

Better yet a LED Coleman looking light with a built in speaker and chip with the noise.
HA! Funny, but true. Also need to design a wood chip burner attachment for the propane fire rings to get the smell.

My first attempt to replace the burning lantern was a Princeton Tec lantern. I love their headlamps but have never been happy with this. Got a rechargeable LED multifunction light with white or amber light and it seems to fit the bill.

I get by with one high quality led head lamp and one small led flashlight for backup. I've become weight obsessed, using the exact same gear for paddle camping, back packing and jeep camping. One system for all.

I hear you. This is the way to go!

51176079_2043114582404072_7599003336649474048_o.jpg
51438993_2043113345737529_8294063211330666496_o.jpg

call me ol fashion or what ever, the light & sound of a white gas, dual gas or propane mantle lantern makes me happy. I like the LED's & have them type of lanterns too. There smaller in size putting out a lot more light.

Another vote for LED, but for the reason that our camping gear doubles as our backup/emergency gear. With the SoCal rain this week we had an early-morning power outage (some knucklehead slid into a Tx box), but it was quick and easy to switch on all the LED lanterns so we could finish getting ready for work/school. I'd have been a grumpy Dad if I was pumping up a coleman lantern this morning (and I wouldn't want to run them in the house anyhow.)

Just to weigh in with a less popular choice, I have a collection of kerosene oil lamps. Some of them I've picked up at antique stores over the years and others have been purchased from 'gasp' Wal-Mart. I typically burn some sort of citronella blend oil in them. They have a ton of downsides. They don't put out as much light as a Coleman or a LED lantern, they're more difficult to store with their liquid fuel, filling them requires a steady hand and there's a bit of a fire risk carrying that flammable oil around in a vehicle. With that being said I absolutely love them.

I don't think my Coleman lantern has left my house in the past 5 years but there is an LED lantern my daughter likes in the tent that usually goes along with us. For moving around camp an LED headlamp is employed.

There's nothing quite like going for an evening walk and returning to camp and the soft glow of that oil lamp on the hanger though. That, to me, makes it feel like camping. I have a red lantern that typically gets hung on a pole and stays lit all night at camp. Makes those evening strolls to the watering tree a little less intrusive to everyone else in camp.

From an ARV a few years ago:

1574372754771.png

Back
Top Bottom