Malamutes H-D adventure bike adventure

Malamute

Adventurist
Way back in the 1900s I rode motorcycles, I had a 1947 H-D that I built in a later swingarm frame as a road bike. I was doing 20-25k/year on it, cross country trips, and all over Az. Living in the Flagstaff area, it also became the dirt road and semi-offroad bike also. I was usually able to get back into some pretty interesting places by picking my line, and avoiding many of the rocks and ruts that made it somewhat challenging in a pickup. Nobody told me you couldnt do it, so i just went ahead and did. I stopped riding in the late 80s.

Fast forward, I started getting interested in bikes again after seeing a nice 49 H-D custom last spring. It was way out of my budget, and adding electric start would add another 2500 on such an old bike (kick starting one is not practical with my messed up body). A friend mentioned a 1984 H-D he had, I didnt want such a new bike, but upon some thought, it occurred to me that it was now about as old as my 47 was when i was riding it, and it seemed really old at the time. Funny how time flies by. Or not so funny. :)

So, being somewhat handicapped by injuries, and having a full time adventure dog, I realized Id need a sidecar. Falling over at stops isnt cool. Sidecar learning progressed, I decided which style and type I wanted, and started paying attention to what was around. A couple US companies make some high quality cars that are up to the task of use on a heavy bike, and capable of moderate offroad running. I'm not racing, but want to only be limited by the ability of the rig to physically make it in places I like to go, a well built rig was needed, as well as a large opening for the dog, including a door cutout to making getting in and out simple, good sized trunk, good ground clearance, and good suspension. Most had good rack options for tying the required mountains of gear on for travel and dirt road exploring.

So, the current status of the Malamute H-D adventure bike, a 1984 H-D FXSB, the big twin in Low Rider format, with slightly longer forks (2" longer than FX, 4" longer than FLH/full dresser types) than most models, the old style dual tanks, and basic stripped down style. Its the same chassis as the full dresser bikes, but with skinnier front end and rear fender, and without all the junk they pile on the full dressers. Ive located a used DMC sidecar that looks like the style I want, that should be coming together a bit later.

downsized_1125181111_edited.jpg

This was my 47, taken about 1983,

47 FL deer az 83.jpg

I havent gained any common sense about where a supposed road bike will go. My intent is a cross country capable bike, but mostly I want to make short rides around warm places, like the Verde area in Az, with some dirt road exploring and comfortable camping one day. It will take some time to be able to ride very much, but this is the most interested Ive been about getting out in the hills since being injured several years ago. Just getting out in the open air with the dog will also be fun.

Adventure dog in a sidecar, borrowed from the net. Its a russian bike and sidecar, but the same general style of sidecar several companies are making. When I googled "motorcycle sidecar with dog" I was really surprised at how many people had sidecars for their dogs.

dog in sidecar 3.jpg

Last edited:
Picture of the sidecar I'm dealing on. It will likely be a winter long project getting the parts to mount it and getting it done, but I'm looking forward to being able to use it. There are various ways to help keep the dog in place, some guys make a door, either solid material or a mesh, like stock car window woven material. Most also have a harness and attachment at the back of the cockpit opening.

DMC Bud 1 - Copy.jpg

Cant wait to start doing some of this

Colorado-2 010-L.jpg

Last edited:
@Greg experience cured me of my fondness for those "Russian" bikes. But they do have a really neat history - I'll confine myself to reading about them. I'm older and wiser now... :D

Last edited:
People kept saying I should just get a Ural if I wanted a sidecar, but I was certain of two things, The only bike I was really interested in was an older Harley big twin, and I wasnt getting a ural unless just to take the sidecar off it for use on the harley and sell the ural bike. It turned out the sidecar I am going with is a DMC. They are similar style to the ural cars, but modernized and upgraded in some aspects.

Beemers are good bikes, just not my area of interest. I rode Harleys, cross country many times, all around Az, built the 47 from parts, worked in a shop, have done pretty much everything related to rebuilding them, and knew if i ever got a bike again, it would be another harley. Rather like functional art to me. I understand and love the mechanics of how they work, understand how to make them run, and love the history. Rather like Colt Revolvers or Winchester lever rifles.

Been a very busy spring, but Ive had some progress on the sidecar project and bike. Just received a package of mounting hardware, Im only lacking some clamps and small hardware to complete the installation. Should be able to get them next month.

mount parts 7-19.jpg

The bike has had a few minor things changed, one being the stock quiet exhaust, its a bit less noisy than the baffled drag pipes.

sunny day.jpg

It runs. :)

Been a slow project, life has been complicated, but it finally runs. I have some things to do yet, but its been fun tooling around town and getting used to the sidecar. So far I havent convinced the dog its the coolest dog hauler ever, but its still been fun.

I have a different front end Ill put on it, from an FXWG, it can use the old school factory adjustable sidecar trees to help the steering geometry without more drastic/expensive changes, and theres some other odds and ends to do. Ill likely improve the mounts when Im sure its set up where I want it in relation to the bike. Im still caretaking an aging parent, and planning for the time I can get back to the west full time and go adventuring. Its not most peoples idea of an adventure/dirt road exploring bike, but its what I like, and can make it do most of what I want.

IMG_0269 - Copy.JPG

Last edited:
This gets my vote. Very cool build, excited to see how you outfit it for trips and where you take this thing!

:freedomrider

Back
Top Bottom