Magnet Fishing

100acre

Adventurist
I like to go magnet fishing when the water is too cold or deep and murky. It all goes along with my fascination with hunting for relics and metal detecting. So, I went magnet fishing today at and old river ford/ferry crossing that dates from the late 1700's to the early to mid 1800's. I managed to undo just enough slack in the rope to actually throw out the whole thing and on the first throw! LOL Today I got to laugh at myself heartily and watched as the current dragged it under and in line with the current about 20' into the river. I had to wade into the water to go get it out, it was about as deep as my pockets. Needless to say it was a short day.
I did walk the bank for a ways looking for signs and may have found the off ramp loading area. Lots of piled flat stones eroding into the river. I didn't detect it and saw no bottles. River is shallow though. Tempted to go back in with wetsuit tomorrow. THAT WATER WAS COLD!!!

I did find a basketball though.

IMG_0087.JPG
IMG_0101.JPG

I keep meaning to buy a magnet and give it a shot. Ever find anything really interesting?

What type are you using? Is there a prefered brand? What is a good poundage to use?

I'm using a neodium magnet I bought off of amazon I believe it's a 250lb pull magnet. There's a whole thread dedicated to magnet fishing on here:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/magnet-fishing/
I bought one from K&J magnetics only to find them cheaper elsewhere on amazon. Make sure when ordering you get one with a convex hole so you can mount a eye bolt in it. There are also a number of YouTube videos on the subject. I personally have not found much yet with it but I was able to use it to retrieve a number of things out of somebody's old 1800s hand dug well.

Looks like a fun hobby.

It reminded me of something I saw recently on youtube. I think these guys are the same ones Ive seen vids of that had metal detected hastily buried caches of WWII weapons a number of times. This also reminds me of the tank some guys found rolled into a small pond. I think it was a Russian tank captured by Germans, and marked with Iron crosses, them probably ran out of fuel when retreating. It had all the ordnance still on board, along with a number of Russian SMG drum mags and such.

I
Looks like a fun hobby.

It reminded me of something I saw recently on youtube. I think these guys are the same ones Ive seen vids of that had metal detected hastily buried caches of WWII weapons a number of times. This also reminds me of the tank some guys found rolled into a small pond. I think it was a Russian tank captured by Germans, and marked with Iron crosses, them probably ran out of fuel when retreating. It had all the ordnance still on board, along with a number of Russian SMG drum mags and such.

I've seen that!

Back
Top Bottom