LX 570 or GX 460

wesel123

Adventurist
Founding Member
Hey gents, need a bit if help picking a tow vehicle.

I missing my LC something fierce and the 4 Runners lack of V8 is driving me crazy.

So I was thinking if used 200 series but the prices are a bit out of reach still. And there seem to be a plethora of LX 570's and GX 460's in the low 30k price point.

So if you guys had a choice which way would you go?

I'm leaning towards the 570 due to the kinship with the LC. Minus the 20" wheels, lame approach angels and fixed running boards. But I'm not planning a using it a our main offroad rig. Our 4runner Trail is here to cover that aspect.

My biggest worry on the 570 is the AHC system and possible failure. Also not sure if I could just pull the system and install an OME kit.

The GX 460 is everything I think I want but the tow capacity is 6500lbs. Which is overly sufficient for our current Airstream but we may plan to upgrade to a 25 footer in 5 to 6 years. So I could deal with that probelms then. (And it's not a 200 series...;))

Also the GX is a bit less expensive.

Uggg....just not sure I need a bit of counseling boys!!!

Hmm... what is a LEXUS? A Toyota with subtle design features and luxury appointments based on existing product line/vehicle platforms designated as a Luxury EXport for the US.

The LX570 is a 200-series Land Cruiser with the addition of more luxury crap on the inside. It also shares the 5.7L 3UR V8 with the 200 along with the alphabet soup traction assist systems.

The GX460 is a Prado or "Land Cruiser-lite" based on the 150-platform. Besides the usual luxuriously appointed crap it also has the smaller 4.7 L 1UR V8 with almost the same number of traction control systems.

AHC is the least of your worries. AHC is simply hydraulically controlled shocks the adjust the ride height. The weak spot are the hydraulic lines and fittings. This is of great concern in the Northeast or anyplace where states use chemicals or salt for winter road conditions. Those components are susceptible to corrosion and ultimately failure within 15 years of use. Dealerships charge a great deal to service those systems and for this reason many owners seek alternatives to the $4000 service charges. We've seen a lot of LX470's (100-series Land Cruisers) with this issue and our solution is to remove the AHC system and replace it with an OME suspension with the net results of giving the vehicle the permanent suspension height of the "high" setting. We haven't seen any LX570's with AHC issues simply because they're not old enough yet.

However, I'm old school... everything electronic eventually fails and must default to a mechanical system for ultimate reliability. So what does Automatic Height Control (AHC), Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System (KDSS), Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) system and Hill-start Assist Control (HAC), Crawl Control system, Downhill Assist Control (DAC), and Active Traction Control (A-TRAC) have as a mechanical back-up in the event of failure? How do you put it in 4WD? Lock the diffs? Or perform brake/throttle modulation.

IMHO today's 4WD vehicle offers amazing electronic controls providing a superior experience off road. Until they stop working. They allow a consumer with minimal to no off road driving experience to take their vehicle farther off the beaten track... at potentially great peril. Merely select the icon similar to the environment you are in at the moment and go. As long as it works and you have the correct icon to select for the path you are on.

That's a little off topic... but good to ponder when you're thinking of a 4WD vehicle purchase. If you project the need for more torque thatn the 570 is the obvious choice.

Thanks for the insight.

I'm well versed in the world of Land Cruisers, I'm regretting with tremendous zeal the day I sold my beloved 100 series.

The real reason I'm looking at the 570 is they are plane and simply cheaper then the 200's in my area.

Price wise the 2009 GX I have lined up has 87,000 miles and is $27k.

The 2009 LX has 111,000 and is $32k.

The 2008 LC has 83,000 and is $37k

I can't fathom a reason why it's cheaper. maybe there are more of them???

The 2016 200 series is by far my favorite body design but I can't wait 3 years where they get in a price range that I'm comfortable with.

I'm sure the 570 will do everything I need it to do. To be honest I'm kinda over buidling the crap out of my rigs. Our 4runner is on the KISS plan. And if I get the 570 the only mods will be going to 18" rims to run a bit meatier tires, Dual battery for the fridge and comms. Don't get me wrong if I had more time and money I'd talk Dave into selling me his new toy....damn is all I have to say about that rig bud....damn what a beauty.

If I were to get the GX it would get the New OME remote res set up, some new shoes, Dual battery and comms.

Same if I get a 200.

I'm curious as to why you are limiting your search to a SUV for a tow rig. A full size truck of any brand one would think would be the natural choice, and if you want to stay in the Toyota family the 2nd gen Tundra is a fine tow vehicle. A lot cheaper too.

570 FTW for your stated purpose.

I'm curious as to why you are limiting your search to a SUV for a tow rig. A full size truck of any brand one would think would be the natural choice, and if you want to stay in the Toyota family the 2nd gen Tundra is a fine tow vehicle. A lot cheaper too.

Agreed :coffee

Tundra is the natural choice but the size is the issue. We both work Downtown LA and parking is a super pain in the butt.

The 200 series (LX or LC) is wide but not long, if that makes any sense. Trust me I'd love to have a pickup again especially since cell we already have an suv.

I still have my old Nissan shirt that had the "Dogs Love Trucks" slogan:p

So we did a bunch of test drives today. Didn't feel the love for the 570, I know its a Land Cruiser but it just didn't feel right. We both liked the GX buuuttttt the Tundra seemed to check all the boxes. We didn't have time to drive it but we talked a whole bunch about the benefits of owning a pickup again. We have a few Tundra's lined up to test drive so we shall see. Thanks gents for steering us that way.

Tundra is the natural choice but the size is the issue. We both work Downtown LA and parking is a super pain in the butt.

The Japanese have been importing the 2nd Gen Tundra's from the US. With my 70 Series being considered a large vehicle out here, I can't imagine dealing with a 2nd gen in some areas. Everything in perspective... hope the test drive works out.

Tundra is out. Wife never felt comfy driving any of the cab sizes or bed lengths. She said it felt like we were driving a 40ft yacht.

So tried and true Land Cruiser it is!!!! Don't tell my wife but I'm super jazzed to bring a 200 series home ;)

I think some damn yahoo cut the rear roof off to make a muddier out of it.

Only explanation I can think off :dunno

Wait for it....
Wind-Sock.jpg

Wait for it....

1.jpg

Yes! He traded the Tacoma in for a Sportsmobile! :D

I deserve all the crap you guys can dish out....I sway back and forth like a drunk sailor on leave after 6 months at sea....sorry Dave present company not included.

So basically every LC that was in my budget was beat up or had something wrong. Can't figure out what these soccer mom's are doing to these rigs.

But also had to do with the fact that I really want a 2016. The new tranny and the newer nose is what I really yearn for. Felt like I was compromising.

I have a disgusting habit of getting new rigs every few years so I'm going to hold out for 4 to 5 years and get a used 2016. Hopefully I won't run into the same scenario with beat up rigs then, but time will tell.

It was a fluke that I even drove the Taco. My buddy is an executive with a dealership conglomerate and just happened to have this one that was his demo.....for one week. Drove it and to be honset fell in love. Reminded me so much of my very first 84 Toyota pick up, it had a soul....ugg I know its cheesy. That being said, got this rig for a few thousand below invoice, which is hard to do with the Tacos.

Lay it on me boys, like I said I deserve it.

Last edited:
I deserve all the crap you guys can dish out....I sway back and forth like a drunk sailor on leave after 6 months at sea....sorry Dave present company not included.

So basically every LC that was in my budget was beat up or had something wrong. Can't figure out what these soccer mom's are doing to these rigs.

But also had to do with the fact that I really want a 2016. The new tranny and the newer nose is what I really yearn for. Felt like I was compromising.

I have a disgusting habit of getting new rigs every few years so I'm going to hold out for 4 to 5 years and get a used 2016. Hopefully I won't run into the same scenario with beat up rigs then, but time will tell.

It was a fluke that I even drove the Taco. My buddy is an executive with a dealership conglomerate and just happened to have this one that was his demo.....for one week. Drove it and to be honset fell in love. Reminded me so much of my very first 84 Toyota pick up, it had a soul....ugg I know own cheesy. That being said, got this rig for a few thousand below invoice, which is hard to do with the Tacos.

Lay it on me boys, like I said I deserve it.
"No plan survives first contact with the enemy." It sounds like you had to call an audible and change the plan. Then lucked into an even better deal. Goodonya!

Ohhhaha I really like that quote!!! A little Helmuth to kick off the Turkey day weekend drive to Sedona for 4 days.

Couldn't take it anymore. 4 flippn' trips with the Taco to the flippn' dealer because of transmission problems...wife and I had enough.

So I went and bought this

By the by I just posted up my 1911 for sale to buy suspension for this truck.....hehehe

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom