Lost Hiker...Joshua Tree/Maze Loop

Dang, same trail as last years October tragedy. Hope he finds his way out or is found by SAR.

I can think of better ways to spend my B-Day ! Prayers up for the hiker...
Some people just don't prepared ...

^^^^Yep...If you enjoy spending time in the wilderness on your own invest in a satellite based locator...SPOT, etc to help find you in an emergency.

Yep. That or learn how to read a map that you take with you. It's hiking/adventuring 101. Research before you go.

I am eager to hear his story. I got hooked on Geraldine Largay's story. She got lost on the AT and was found dead 3/4 mile from the trail, near her point last scene. She lived 9 days past the end dateof the ~10 day search for her. The survival stories are so interesting.

This. InReach is well worth the money.

I have heard that park rangers hate them. One woman activated her SPOT when she heard someone snoring loudly in another tent. She thought they might be having difficulty breathing. So rather than checking on the person she called in the emergency. Turns out they were just snoring LOL

I have heard that park rangers hate them. One woman activated her SPOT when she heard someone snoring loudly in another tent. She thought they might be having difficulty breathing. So rather than checking on the person she called in the emergency. Turns out they were just snoring LOL

Yes. Just like 911, in the hands of morons it can be abused.

Yes. Just like 911, in the hands of morons it can be abused.

About 16 years ago my partner and I responded to a call for “Difficulty Breathing”. The call was 15 miles out of town in the back of a canyon where someone lived in a small trailer about 25 feet long. We arrived on scene with the fire department and went into this trailer. The patient was sitting there in her broken down easy chair in no signs of distress smoking a cigarette. We asked what the issue was and she stated she was just tired and her oxygen bottle ran out and that she need us to change it. We advised her that as long as she was smoking we couldn’t as it was a safety issue. So she put the cigarette out begrudgingly. We changed the bottle and readvised her of the dangers of smoking while on oxygen. She said ok. About this time the door to the rear of the trailer opened up and out walked her husband asking what all the commotion was about. We just all stared at the patient and the husband in disbelief then walked out. So needless to say we responded a full engine crew and an ambulance to change an O2 bottle.

Solo hiker, had a plan and his family knew where he'd be and when. They called authorities when he didn't make it to his hotel that night. Those are all good things.

This however: "Hanks had been hopping between boulders in a remote area of the desert park when he slipped and fell 20 feet."

I do quite a bit of solo hiking in remote areas. I’ve never had a serious injury but getting a satellite based locator might not be a bad idea. I always carry a map and compass with me and I familiarize myself with the area I plan on exploring.

I also like to do a lot of solo hiking (or at least I used to and intend to again . . . ). I prefer to hike off-trail in rough areas that often lack cell coverage. But the 'boulder hopping' stuff is saved for trips with friends.

You have to take a different look at what risks you are taking when you are far enough out that access/communication/evac will be difficult. If your family is tolerant enough of your hobbies to let you go, then you owe it to them not to be stupid and consider the risks you are taking. You can't eliminate all risks. Just going out can be a risk, but make sure you are thinking about what you are doing. The equation changes when you are alone in the back country.

Even with SPOT or InReach, you are not invincible. You have to be (1) conscious, (2) able to reach the device, (3) it has to have a signal - I have had trouble in slot canyons and even heavy tree cover (N. Ga. has plenty of both), (4) it has to be working/undamaged, and (5) charged or have good batteries.

Back
Top Bottom