Looking for recommendations on a light duty backpack

4x4x4doors

Adventurist
Mrs. Doors and I definitely qualify as seniors by most definitions. We are reasonably healthy (not decrepit) but somewhat limit some of our outdoor activities due to orneriness, physical condition and general interest.
We are not (and do not intend to become) serious hikers but we will tackle the occasional trail with limited altitude changes -- we recognize the value of trails that go up as you leave the parking area and allow us to go down as we return. ;) Generally we don't commit to much that will exceed a one-way distance of 1.5-2 miles with an equidistant return trip.
We have discovered that carrying things, most notably that overweight purse, but also a couple of water bottles, a couple of hats, maybe the camera gets to be cumbersome. Actually, you'll see I'm carrying her purse in a lot of the pictures of the two of us hiking. It has become physically painful to haul that thing around all day slung over one shoulder.
Behavior modification is not an option. It's only been in the last couple of years that she'll consider leaving it with me in an eatery while she leaves the table, it is certainly not going to be locked in the car/truck while we walk away.
What I'm looking for is a recommendation on a backpack with two --probably padded-- straps that I can reasonably carry to spread the load across both shoulders and stay pretty much out of the way but still be reasonably secure so she doesn't worry about the contents being removed since its behind me. I guess what I'm looking for is a flap system that fastens (velcro or snaps or zipper) enough to discourage stealth removal of contents yet simple/wide enough that she can access if she wants without it being an ordeal.
Cost is a factor but comfort/convenience is more important.

Believe it or not wallmart has some very nice light weight but sturdy packs. These have several easily accessable compartments, waist and sternum straps and are hydration compatible if you want to buy an hydration bladder. I have two, one for my search and rescue gear and one for a day pack, less than $30.00 each.

packs.jpg

I've tried a lot of packs and bags over the years, mostly for day hikes. There are a lot of great modern technologies out there to lighten the load, keep airflow across your back, umpteen adjustments, etc. But after each new bag I buy, I invariably go back to my nearly 40 year old Lowe Alpine Klettersack 30.

It is a top-loader 30 liter bag with a drawstring top and a lid/flap with a small external pocket. It is padded against your back, and has padded shoulder straps with an adjustable chest strap to keep the straps from sliding off of your shoulders. It has a simple 1" unpadded waist strap that I rarely use, but is there for stability if needed.

It is versatile in its simplicity. Stuff it with warm clothes, raingear, or just a camera and water bottle. Yes, you have to stop and take it off to get to it (or have someone else get into it for you.) But I'm never in a big enough rush where a couple minutes stop will hurt. In fact, if I'm at altitude or in hills, by flatlander 600 ft elevation lungs welcome the stop.

Lowe Alpine still makes the same bag, so you can see the details here: https://lowealpine.com/us/klettersack-30 But they want $110 for it now, which is probably more than you want to spend. (Although I just looked up a calculator, and $110 dollars now was $29.30 in 1978, so...)

LL Bean offers a similar model for $70 here: https://goo.gl/s5Dg9W I imagine you can find various box stores offering something similar.

Here's a Google Image photo of an old Klettersack like mine:
b75297aaa660f7de1cd7fb5d6b590390.jpg

Look for one with a chest buckle/strap. It connects the 2 shoulder straps to keep them from slipping off your shoulders. Packs can be super annoying without.
Photo from google

cs.PNG

Thanks all for the recommendations so far.
We found that we had CC points to use up and a Klettersack was in their list of merchandise so we popped the order in for that. Still awaiting its arrival. Little reluctant to grab something like that without trying it on first but we'll see.
Still interested in any further recs on this.

I agree on Osprey and Mystery Ranch, solid choices.

I'm also a big fan of the Triple Aught Design FAST pack EDC and the Prometheus Design Werx S.H.A.D.O. Pack 28L

Not cheap, but made to last a lifetime of abuse.

The PDW Shado pack in particular is light and comfortable and is my "go to" fast and light travel backpack. If I was deploying to the middle east again, the TAD Fast pack would get the nod.

I agree on Osprey and Mystery Ranch, solid choices.

I'm also a big fan of the Triple Aught Design FAST pack EDC and the Prometheus Design Werx S.H.A.D.O. Pack 28L

Not cheap, but made to last a lifetime of abuse.

The PDW Shado pack in particular is light and comfortable and is my "go to" fast and light travel backpack. If I was deploying to the middle east again, the TAD Fast pack would get the nod.

Concur. I have the TAD pack and has been my go to for many years, and has endured world-wide travel. However, I had a chance to closely examine @Dave's SHADO and it is exactly what he describes and more. It's definitely on the short list of potential replacements.

Another company whose packs I covet is First Spear. Their Exigent Circumstance Pack (ECP™) is pretty impressive but probably more suitable is their Comm Pack & Comm Pack Large which is available in more discreet color combinations that doesn't scream, "first tier operator".

But alas, my demand signal for packs has decreased significantly since retirement. Perhaps I'll have a sale one day of the items in my basement, commonly referred to as the "CIF". Consolidated Issue Facility for those not familiar with that acronym.

Comm Pack & Comm Pack Large
CommPackGRoup2.jpg

Exigent Circumstance Pack (ECP™)
_MG_0679.jpg

One final note... buy once, cry once.

Perhaps I'll have a sale one day of the items in my basement, commonly referred to as the "CIF". Consolidated Issue Facility for those not familiar with that acronym.

One final note... buy once, cry once.

My phone better ring :wow

Back
Top Bottom