Looking for OZ Tent reviews

OK.. I need to borrow 900 bucks to buy one. Checked out the website, and I want one so bad!

Look here. I plan on using it when I am without the trailer and backing the Jeep under the awning.

-Andy

Like I said earlier, if I were in the market for a ground tent, the Oztent is my top pick. It's an awesome setup, and easy to put up and tear down is probably my favorite feature.

I agree with Dave. The quality is absolutely top-notch. Yes, they are expensive and if you only camp once in a blue moon, making such a purchase doesn't make any sense. However, if you are out regularly then you absolutely can't go wrong with one.

Scott Brown, one of our contributing editors, wrote a very nice review of the Jet Tent for our charter issue release back in January. We actually gave it our "OutdoorX4 Favorite" award because of its superior quality and attention to detail despite being the most expensive tent of those we tested.

On a separate note, your setup is VERY nice Andy...I'm envious!!!

Happy with my RV2. Its not the easiest thing to pack around but worth the trade-off for me. Tent sets up quickly although the side panels take some time. If I'm only camping for a night I generally don't set up the sides panels. The ground cloth is a really nice addition as well.

I recently picked up an RV-4 with a deluxe front panel, peaked side panels, and a mesh floor. We used it for 8 days in Indian Creek, Utah and the first 2 days we endured an absolute downpour. The rain just would not stop. This wasn't good because we were there to rock climb and that particular activity is tough to perform when the holds are wet. But here's the good news. The OzTent was an absolute life saver! It went up easy and we were bone dry the entire time. We set up camp late at night in the rain and we had a fair amount of water funnel right to the floor of our tent on top of the bedrock but the OzTent floor handled that without an issue. We were definitely impressed with the design and sound construction. We have a flippac which is great but anytime we are staying for 5+ days and staying in one spot we bring the OzTent for the extra space and shelter for people and gear. We love it!

I have an off-road trailer but stayed away from a RTT because I travel with my Lab when camping and near impossible to get him in it ;) I've had an RV 2 for 5+years I think. All kinds of weather and everything in between. I have full front enclosure and footprint. My only regret is I thought an RV2 was large enough for just me and my dog. As someone mentioned in "Advanced Age" it's nice to stand and sit in the tent. I now use a cot and have chair in tent when I camp. The RV2 fits a cot but it does push on both edges.
My friend BRUSHHOGGER (Alan) built a very nice cage type rack for carrying his RV2 on top of his FJ. I don't have the skills but I wish somebody made them I'd buy in a heartbeat.
If you are going to ground camp and have the room you can't beat an OZ tent... my .02

Well, I can't believe I'm doing this, but now that the Tiger is gone we are looking to make our next move on a sleeping set up. My plan was to build a platform in the back of the 4runner, but Josh went and bought another FJ while I'm not home to supervise *ahem*, so thats out. He says he wants to keep this one more stock than our last, :rofl and no RTT. That leaves a trailer or a ground tent as options. We have nowhere to store a trailer now that we have 3 vehicles so....back to sleeping on the ground we go. *shudder*

I've admired the build quality of the Oz tents I've seen at OVEX, but I don't know anyone with real world experience. Does anyone here have anything to say, or perhaps suggest another quality tent? I need ease of set-up, transport, and quality material.
I actually just did a very detailed OzTent RV-5 review on my blog click here

OzTent RV-5 Review

I actually just did a very detailed OzTent RV-5 review on my blog click here

OzTent RV-5 Review
Nice review.. My experience differs with Napier products though. My truck bed tent is 6 or so years old, pretty easy to setup, and has proven to be fairly durable.. Especially for the price. That being said, if I was looking for a ground tent, the oztent would be at the top of my list.
3c085e716f54f8c0a36911aa5bdf0e2b.jpg

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Waking the dead here! Just ordered a RV-2 for a base camp trip to Moab in May and again in June to central Cascades and lower BC. Looking forward to playing with this tent! From what I can tell the rain fly is a must? I also ordered the Oz tent cots they seem to be short enough to fit depth wise along the wall front to back. I'm only 5'10' so plenty of room I hope. Any advice on accessories? Tim's add on room looks cool, not sure how much Id use it though? Also ordered #20 and #30 Snow Peak pegs as I have found them to be superior to all others! I also contacted my buddy Luke at Drifta and ordered a set of his Oz tent poles and spreader bars.

http://www.drifta.com.au/drifta-tent-pole-kit/

Advice is appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:
Waking the dead here! Just ordered a RV-2 for a base camp trip to Moab in May and again in June to central Cascades and lower BC. Looking forward to playing with this tent! From what I can tell the rain fly is a must? I also ordered the Oz tent cots they seem to be short enough to fit depth wise along the wall front to back. I'm only 5'10' so plenty of room I hope. Any advice on accessories? Tim's add on room looks cool, not sure how much Id use it though? Also ordered #20 and #30 Snow Peak pegs as I have found them to be superior to all others! I also contacted my buddy Luke at Drifta and ordered a set of his Oz tent poles and spreader bars.

http://www.drifta.com.au/drifta-tent-pole-kit/

Advice is appreciated, thanks!
The rain fly isn't critical but I've found it useful as an insulator from the sun, meaning less heat inside, and for really intense rain deflection. The mesh ground floor is a useful addition. Besides the added tent floor protection it keeps the entrance are underneath the front fly clean and drier. I made my own footprint but it doesn't help in rainy conditions because it just ends up getting wet, pooling water.

I think the Drifta options you selected are spot on and something I'm planning on doing, too. I'd also consider their tent bag too as the OZ one is a source of annoyance over time and isn't that durable. SP stakes are highly desirable alternatives too.

The rain fly isn't critical but I've found it useful as an insulator from the sun, meaning less heat inside, and for really intense rain deflection. The mesh ground floor is a useful addition. Besides the added tent floor protection it keeps the entrance are underneath the front fly clean and drier. I made my own footprint but it doesn't help in rainy conditions because it just ends up getting wet, pooling water.

I think the Drifta options you selected are spot on and something I'm planning on doing, too. I'd also consider their tent bag too as the OZ one is a source of annoyance over time and isn't that durable. SP stakes are highly desirable alternatives too.

Thanks for the advice! I just ordered the Drift tent bag and tag a long bag I'll need storage for the rain fly and ground tarp as well. We can order soft goods direct from Drifta but not the pole kit. Matt from Kakadu Camping (in BC) is over in Australia now and he is putting the pole kit in his shipping container for me! I would imagine I'll get the exterior walls eventually, I'm a gear whore that way!

Thanks for the advice! I just ordered the Drift tent bag and tag a long bag I'll need storage for the rain fly and ground tarp as well. We can order soft goods direct from Drifta but not the pole kit. Matt from Kakadu Camping (in BC) is over in Australia now and he is putting the pole kit in his shipping container for me! I would imagine I'll get the exterior walls eventually, I'm a gear whore that way!
Super! Note that you can leave the rain fly attached to the tent when packing it up. No need to install/remove it each time you erect the tent.

Had my RV-5 for about a year now. It's been in some heavy storms and fends off the rain and wind very well.

I haven't had too hard of a time getting it back into the bag, but an extra inch in each direction wouldn't hurt. It helps to use the included strap to tighten it up first. I lost the strap and replaced it with a Sea-to-Summit hook-release strap and like it a lot better.

I've found that their ridge pole makes a world of difference when using the integral awning. I like setting up the awning in a peaked configuration for more headroom and a second ridgepole makes that a lot easier.

I'm sure the mesh ground sheet OzTent sells is great, but I found the same size mesh tarp on Amazon for $40. You don't need it, but it keeps the bottom of the tent cleaner and makes for a decent rug under the awning. It tends to get wet/dirty, so I roll the poles up in the tarp and strap it down next to the tent on the roof for transport.

I'm pretty stoked about this new OZ accessory. I have an RV2 that I love but I also have an FWC. The FWC is great for my wife and I but not so much with grandkids or our dogs. My wife likes the comforts of the FWC I am fine with tent camping. Now I have a reason to bring my dogs and we can sleep in the OZ and still be part of the family. The front of my OZ can either fasten to back of FWC where it's made for rear awning or to my Fiama Awning. I have ordered but not received it yet :( http://www.oztent.us/products/accessories-range/oztent-accessories/oztent-caravan-connector

Since Drifta now ships directly to the US at a very reasonable shipping price I decided to get the Drifta RV5 canvas tent bag, pole bag, and stake velcro bag. I am very impressed with the quality of the OzTent bag. Luke told me its more water resistant than actually water proof but offers a nice storm flap that covers the high quality YKK Japanese zips. Luke from Drifta is the man!

IMG_2279

Oh, direct shipping, well there goes the money I was saving for a rainy day. I like the look of those poles, even though I just got a replacement for the one that got tweaked at Overland Expo last year. 4 days of crazy wind and the only complaint is a pole that won't collapse is a win in my book.

The awning connector is kind of a game changer when setting up next to a vehicle. I added some awning track to the camper shell before DRV and it was awesome to not need to walk around the guy lines in camp.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom