Looking for OZ Tent reviews

Oh, direct shipping, well there goes the money I was saving for a rainy day. I like the look of those poles, even though I just got a replacement for the one that got tweaked at Overland Expo last year. 4 days of crazy wind and the only complaint is a pole that won't collapse is a win in my book.

The awning connector is kind of a game changer when setting up next to a vehicle. I added some awning track to the camper shell before DRV and it was awesome to not need to walk around the guy lines in camp.

Mike
Just received the care package from Luke I wasn't sure what he was sending me but I was pleasantly surprised! :)

Luke sent me pretty much their entire Canvas range of bags to match my OzTent Canvas bag, the items included the following:
1. Toiletries bag
2. Recovery Bag
3. Weekender Bag
4. Day Bag
5. Drifta OzTent RV5 Replacement Tent Pole kit: http://www.drifta.com.au/drifta-tent-pole-kit/

FullSizeRender 2

FullSizeRender 3

Got the new eyelets installed on the awning of the OzTent so the new Drifta poles would work. Here is an idea of the awesome pitch you get with the aftermarket poles that he sells. I also have the side and front panels but wanted to show a pic without the room installed so you can get an better view of the setup using the new poles.

DSC04075

Bumping a dead thread, clearly...however...

Now that some of you have been using the RV tents for a while, how are they holding up? Would love some longer-term thoughts.

Now that some of you have been using the RV tents for a while, how are they holding up? Would love some longer-term thoughts.

I know quite a few use them here, and they’re durable as hell. That said, I know @TangoBlue was an “early adopter” in the US and he’s had some repairs done. Maybe he could chime in with his experiences vis a vis wind and weather.

I know quite a few use them here, and they’re durable as hell. That said, I know @TangoBlue was an “early adopter” in the US and he’s had some repairs done. Maybe he could chime in with his experiences vis a vis wind and weather.

Interestingly enough, I was among - maybe the first - in the US. Randy, the original US distributor told me I was the first one to purchase an RV2 after they first carried them back in 2010.

For my needs it's been a very good investment. I'm a sole camper and the size is about right for my cot, chair, and footlocker on the inside. I have the front and side panels to the awning which provides me a second room.

I've used this as a 4-season tent, in temps as low as the teens with a "Buddy" heater, and I move my cooking gear in the "second" room during inclement weather. Heavy rain or stiff winds all around the country have proven the durability of the product, but only when attended. In the wet, everything has remained dry and will prove to be a shelter for not just you, but others discouraged by their shelters lack of sturdiness. I did sustain some minor damage that was easily repaired with a patch of the same fabric and seam sealer that held up exceptionally well, but a year later I did sustain more substantial damage to the awning and sun fly when my tent was unattended and struck by heavy winds.

My fix was, also mentioned previously, purchasing more substantial poles from Drifta in Australia which has markedly enhanced it's sturdiness in windy conditions. Tent pegs are a good purchase too. The ones supplied are quite good and reasonable for most conditions, but the best investment are the Snow Peak type pegs made of forged steel and longer length. Those however can be tough to come by and are ludicrously expensive; Chinese knock-offs are readily available through Amazon at half the price. Forged steel is forged steel.

May 2017, OX-West, Ft Tuthill, Flagstaff, AZ

2017 Oz Tent_AZ (2).jpg

Thank you for those who've revived this thread. Wife and I purchased our RV5 last fall and have used it several times already. We couldn't be more pleased and are happy that Jason S. convinced me to purchase all the extras to create the "front porch"

My issue is transport. 2013 Tacoma short bed with ARE shell and Yakima rack. For now I've fixed a 6' 1X12 to my Yakima crossbars and it works pretty well, just the right width. Loading up this past weekend I have come to the decision that a wider rack on top of the shell would let me load the side panels, our chairs, cots... This would allow me to keep the bed a little more organized.

I would love to hear other's ideas about transport.
1. Yakima Rocket box and store everything in the cargo box
2. Rhino mesh platform that I can attach to the existing Yakima crossbars
????

Thank you for those who've revived this thread. Wife and I purchased our RV5 last fall and have used it several times already. We couldn't be more pleased and are happy that Jason S. convinced me to purchase all the extras to create the "front porch"

My issue is transport. 2013 Tacoma short bed with ARE shell and Yakima rack. For now I've fixed a 6' 1X12 to my Yakima crossbars and it works pretty well, just the right width. Loading up this past weekend I have come to the decision that a wider rack on top of the shell would let me load the side panels, our chairs, cots... This would allow me to keep the bed a little more organized.

I would love to hear other's ideas about transport.
1. Yakima Rocket box and store everything in the cargo box
2. Rhino mesh platform that I can attach to the existing Yakima crossbars
????

I strap mine to my Front Runner roof rack. That being said I also purchased the Drifta Oz tent bag and waxed the bag to make it water resistant. Using the structure of the Oz tent I'm thinking you could just strap it to the Yakima load bars, YMMV.

https://americanadventurist.com/forum/threads/oz-tent-rv-2-base-camp.4748/

Last edited:
you want to be careful just strapping the OZ to load bars... The frame is Aluminum and can bend (say on prolonged corrugated dirt track).. I would use some form of load spreader under it to give it some support. Drifta makes a Plate for it but you can just get a piece of AL diamond plate which would work.

Back
Top Bottom