LJ tops

jscusmcvet

Adventurist
Check these out and let me know your thoughts. I am goiing to replace the rampage, which was bought only as an interim. It is one of these or a stockish soft top

Grt8tops Sasfari Tops - $4000
LJ hard top.jpg

Custom soft top from Squint (Greg) - $2400
LJ soft top.jpg

I had not seen that Squint soft top before. That's damned sexy. I'm assuming the side windows roll up? Price is a little salty, but very tempting.

Those Safari top are slick too. I remember the designer posting up design and build threads somewhere. It's neat watching his processes come to life. Glad to see someone bought the design and is producing it.

I had not seen that Squint soft top before. That's damned sexy. I'm assuming the side windows roll up? Price is a little salty, but very tempting.

Those Safari top are slick too. I remember the designer posting up design and build threads somewhere. It's neat watching his processes come to life. Glad to see someone bought the design and is producing it.

Greg's top is not available yet, but I am on the interested list. All the windows will roll up and secure or can be removed completely. You can go to jeepforum and search his screen name "Squint" and find the thread. Looks like his new company name is "American Convoy". It is pricey, but includes all new hardware, etc...

Has anyone had experience with soft top half door with window sliders rather than zip up plastic?

Last edited:
I had an 89 yj with sliders instead of zip up plastic on the upper half doors. I absolutely loved the sliders. It was so much easier to do simple things, like place an order at a drive thru, etc. If i ever get another jeep it will have sliding uppers.

Okay... both hard and soft tops are a marked improvement, aesthetically, over the original hard or soft tops. :thumbsup

The soft top is very reminiscent of the FJ40 Land Cruiser Paki tops.

I had an 89 yj with sliders instead of zip up plastic on the upper half doors. I absolutely loved the sliders. It was so much easier to do simple things, like place an order at a drive thru, etc. If i ever get another jeep it will have sliding uppers.
Thanks Scott. I am seriously considering this no matter what top I wind up with.

I think from a standpoint of keeping the home front friendly, I will have to forego the Grt8 hard top. Ann and I have discussed before... and I am sure when I say I got "the look"... you who are or who have ever been married... kow exactly what I mean. The soft top pictured is of good and heavy sailcloth. I may have to bust the piggybank for that one. Other options are a stock replacemetn, or a Bestop Trektop NX, which I understand is of a much higher quality than my current rampage top.

I bought the rampage at a 50% discount, knowing I would be replacing soon.

Thanks Scott. I am seriously considering this no matter what top I wind up with.

I think from a standpoint of keeping the home front friendly, I will have to forego the Grt8 hard top. Ann and I have discussed before... and I am sure when I say I got "the look"... you who are or who have ever been married... kow exactly what I mean. The soft top pictured is of good and heavy sailcloth. I may have to bust the piggybank for that one. Other options are a stock replacemetn, or a Bestop Trektop NX, which I understand is of a much higher quality than my current rampage top.

I bought the rampage at a 50% discount, knowing I would be replacing soon.
No problem. If it helps any I have used bestop products including a replacement "supertop" on my old yj and I was impressed with the quality. I can only imagine the quality of their products has stayed on par since I last purchased their products.

No problem. If it helps any I have used bestop products including a replacement "supertop" on my old yj and I was impressed with the quality. I can only imagine the quality of their products has stayed on par since I last purchased their products.

BesTop is the OE Manufacturer for Jeep soft tops. They do have some basic options as well as some more expensive ones, but their quality is usually top notch across the board. In the event something is wrong with a new top they're pretty good about taking care of you.

Other options are a stock replacement, or a Bestop Trektop NX, which I understand is of a much higher quality than my current rampage top.

The BestTop TrekTop is my top pick right now. They have a package deal that includes the top, door surrounds, and a pair of full soft doors. I think that'd be a nice option for me since I currently have a hardtop and full doors. I've seen the top on a few Jeeps and really like it's look and the quality.

Both look great but there's just something about soft tops. How's the seal of the soft top? Does it keep out dust as well as the hardtop?

Both look great but there's just something about soft tops. How's the seal of the soft top? Does it keep out dust as well as the hardtop?
I have spoken with the creator of the soft top and he says it seals better and is quieter than most soft tops. Proof in the putting I suppose. If I am away from the forum for a while it is because I will have shared the price with Ann... and she has beat the hell out of me...

I like both of those. I had seen that hard top before and remember thinking that I would rock one if I ever had an LJ. Yes, it closely resembles a Defender roof line/rear window design. Who cares? It looks good on the Jeep, and they don't even make those old Defenders anymore. :stir

Hey, this is a nice website. I hadn't seen this before.

I was just toying with my website/key words settings and came upon this thread. Hopefully I don't cause any marital spats here lol

Here are the links to the two tops if you are interested:

http://gr8tops.com/shop/jeepmodels/wrangler-lj-2/lj-safari-cab-full-hardtop

www.americanconvoy.com
(Sorry for the rudimentary site-for now, it's just informational)

Thanks,
Greg

Greg,

Welcome to the forum! If you haven't already, please mosy on over to the new members thread and tell us some about yourself, your vehicle and adventures....

Back
Top Bottom