Liquid Logic XP9 Review

Haggis

Adventurist
Senior Staff
Founding Member
I like equipment that can preform across a range of activities or that can serve more than one purpose. This keeps the amount of gear you need to own to a minimum and frees up fundage and storage space that would be otherwise utilized for specialized gear. Its even more of a bonus when a piece of gear is of the highest quality, excels at all the multiple tasks you ask of it and puts a big smile on our face. The recent addition to the Clan Haggis fleet is one of these items and has brought nothing but smiles and giggles from me from the first time I utilized it. Introducing the Liquid Logic Remix XP-9...

liq0018-firbi-350x350.jpg

Link to Liquid Logic XP9 page.

Specifications for this boat are as follows:

Length: 9' 2"/279cm Width: 26" Weight: 46 lbs. Cockpit Length:36" Cockpit Width: 21.5"

Rocker Bow: 11" Rocker Stern: 9" Volume: 73 gals Paddler Weight: 110 to 220 lbs

XP 9 rear hatch volume is 3000 cubic inches.

I had been thinking hard about buying one of these ever since Al got his Remix 79 (it was just cool to watch that boat hit the harder sections) and had been putting cash back to purchase a new one when the opportunity during the coldest part of this year's winter to buy this came up. Purchase new in 2012 by the precious owner, this boat had never been in the water. The tags were still on it and it's hull was scratch free. Apparently the gentleman who bought this came to the conclusion it was more boat than he needed so he never used it. I ended up with a new boat at half the price of a new one, these things new run about $1100, and couldn't wait for the Spring break-up to go try it out. Of course this had to be the winter that dragged on forever and by the time the ice went off the creeks I was about freaking out.

DSC01045.jpg

DSC01048.jpg

This kayak is built by Liquid Logic to be a true crossover boat, meaning a boat that excels at running the swifter currents of whitewater while being easy to paddle through the still stretches of a river without the dartiness of full-on whitewater boats. With most whitewater boats there is a large degree of rocker, or curvature of the hull along the length, which allows the boat to be very nimble and quick to steer as a paddler dodges the obstacles of a river's course. Al's Liquid Logic Remix 79 is a perfect example of a full on whitewater 'yak.

14214314311_f809e316c1_o.jpg

But in still or slow water this makes for a boat that is skittish as each paddle stroke causes the bow of the boat to radically depart from travelling in a straight line. This can make for a tiring day as there is as much effort spent keeping the boat on course as there is in propelling it forward. Deep rocker also makes for a slow boat so that if you're paddling along with friends in more standard recreational kayaks you have to work harder to keep up. Liquid Logic got around these issues by decreasing slightly the rocker in the XP series and through the use of a deployable drop down skeg.

CIMG7243.jpg

A skeg is basically a fixed rudder that keeps the kayak tacking straight as it is paddled. This skeg is internally mounted and is easily deployed with a lever to the right of the paddler. A simple flip of the lever and you go from a rock carving whitewater dude to an easy paddling gentleman paddler cruising a scenic stretch of water. The Skeg tucks up into a recessed slot in the rear of the hull and is cable operated. A spring puts tension on the skeg but allows it to pop back up into the hull if it were to hit an obstacle. Dropping the skeg down produces an easy to paddle kayak that tracks straight and true and amazingly fast for a short boat. I have noticed that even just floating along through riffles and wavy section the XP9 will outrun other boats of our group's fleet. So much so that sometimes I have to back paddle to keep from running into the boat in front of me. Now in flat water it ain't gonna win no race with a recreational boat but than it's wins with just the cool factor alone.

P4260019_zps3b61ef12.jpg

The XP exudes a quality feel as all the plastics and hardware have a solid feeling about them. The hull is hefty and when you hit a rock it doesn't feel weak and there's a good solid thump. The boat comes well equipped with bungee deck storage front and rear of the paddler, an actual dry drywell in the rear that is quite roomy, fully adjustable foot braces, thigh braces, removable center console (with two drink holders), scupper plug and what is know as Badass Oufitting which is the seat portion. Grab handles mounted to the front and rear are strong and easy to grab even when wearing neoprene paddling gloves. You have room to stuff a medium drybag towards the bow past the foot braces and a small drybag can fit behind the seat. The BadAss Outfitting is very comfortable as there is a wide range of adjustability to allow for a good seating position. The fabric breathes well, drys quick and it's a nice place to spend a few hours. Its not as nice as the seating in my Native Watercraft Ultimate, but for a whitewater boat it's pretty sweet. I'm pushing 5'-11" and range from 195 to 205 lbs depending on how many pies I've been eating and I would say I am at the upper limit for the size frame that fits comfortably in the cockpit. For taller or heavier folks I'd recommend looking at the XP9's bigger brother the XP10 which is a little longer and wider but has all the same features and characteristics exhibited by the XP9.

IMGP0685.jpg

After running a number of creeks this year from simple Class Is to fun Class IIIs I can say that I love this kayak. Right from the start I had a bit of a learning curve as you sit differently in a whitewater boat than a recreational on. In a rec kayak you basically sit in it, a whitewater boat it's more like your wearing it. The thigh braces lock you upper legs in tight allowing you to exert pressure on the hull of the boat to aid in turns and to keep the boat balanced. The XP9 brings you close to the water yet has a shallow draft. The bow rises higher than the stern and when you enter a standing wave or a trough you punch through it instead of bouncing over it. The water just sheds off the flanks of the boat with little spray or splashing back at you.

IMGP0726.jpg

P4260086_zpsdc6488fb.jpg

Because of this any river running needs to be done with a splash skirt. I have two. The first is a neoprene Mountain Ware hard core whitewater skirt but its a bit of a pain to put on and off so I usually grab my neoprene/nylon Seals Sneak 2.2 as it is so much easier to use.

52272a38-516e-4fa6-a650-492cb61e8922.jpg

The XP9 cuts through the rapids with an almost swagger inducing aplomb. It responds quickly to steering input, easily rolls and glides of hidden rocks instead of banging into them and just leaves you feeling confident in its capabilities. This boat is way more capable than the paddler that is currently using it and makes me want to push into faster and harder water. I was cutting in close to obstacles and sliding down currents that I would never had tried in my previous boats and there is no standing wave that I wouldn't hit in this boat. It literally makes me whoop and holler in delight when I'm in the rougher stuff with it.

14214299351_db67c97f15_b (1).jpg

Once out of the rapid sections and in the more milder of currents you just flip the skeg down and let the boat glide. Paddling is easy with minimal bow dart yet it still will steer crisply when there is a need. I find that I have the skeg down about 90% of the time and only raise it when entering tougher sections or approaching shallow water.

14031430088_174747c7f9_o.jpg

Do not float backward with the skeg down. I did so on the Little Juniata as I was keeping an eye on one of our paddlers who was tangled in a strainer. I ended up backing over a rock and tore the skeg from the cable as it was forced out from the boat instead of being pushed into the recess. The end result as that I had to buy a new skeg kit and install it and while not particularly hard it was a learning experience. Floating backwards...raise the skeg.

Liquid Logic delivers with this boat, producing a kayak that not only preforms in two different watery arenas (whitewater & still water) but actually reacts outstandingly in both of them. For someone looking for a boat to hit the rough stuff while still being a joy to paddle around a tranquil lake an XP9 or 10 should be a boat on the top of their list. This is one a boat that while not cheap still costs less than buying two different kayaks to cover the same usuage that the XP series provide. The grins of delight and the whoopin' and hollerin' that come from owning one of these come free though.

Last edited:
Nice review, very thorough. I have not had the chance to put the XP10 into white water yet, patiently waiting for the opportunity. I completely agree about it's flat water capabilities, the skeg makes a huge difference in tracking. Have you tried fitting gear in the rear hatch? I am planning to use mine for overnight trips and need to experiment with loading gear in the rear and front to maintain balance. Thanks for the tip about retracting the skeg when back paddling, sorry you learned the expensive way. Watching the videos on Liquid Logic's website and FB page is addictive.

-Andy

Thanks gents! We had an assortment of XPs at the Appalachian Rendezvous...

IMGP0853.jpg

...take your pick. :cool:

Wondering your thoughts about this boat after having it for a while now. I am interested in the xp 9 and how it handles with a guy in the same weight range. Are you satisfied with it? Have you considered upgrading to the xp10? Other thoughts? Thanks

Well, I like these boats enough that another one followed me home today. That will make for our third one, so now I don't have to listen to the wife and son spar over who gets to pilot the spare XP9...

image.jpg

@Grumps, yep Green Hornet 2012 model that had spent its life on the Lower Yough so it does have some rock rash. But it's in damn good shape though. I picked it up for $500 but it came with two carbon fiber paddles, two Solhquist whitewater vests, a Scrappy carbon fiber helmet, a Seals extreme skirt, a cockpit cover, a throw bag, a dry possible box, GoPro mounts, and all the guys straps. Hell the accessories are worth more than I paid for it.

This one is heading down to live in Cameron's college dorm room.

Yea, that's a deal. The gear alone would cost more than what you paid for the boat. Does Cam know it is heading his way? The poor chap won't have any time to paddle with classes.

-Andy

He's trying to get me bring it down this weekend, but he'll have to wait. There's and outdoor adventure club at campus he's checking out and he's met a couple of paddlers down there so somebody is impatient to get their hands on this.

@Grumps, yep Green Hornet 2012 model that had spent its life on the Lower Yough so it does have some rock rash. But it's in damn good shape though. I picked it up for $500 but it came with two carbon fiber paddles, two Solhquist whitewater vests, a Scrappy carbon fiber helmet, a Seals extreme skirt, a cockpit cover, a throw bag, a dry possible box, GoPro mounts, and all the guys straps. Hell the accessories are worth more than I paid for it.

This one is heading down to live in Cameron's college dorm room.
Smokin Deal! Congrats!

Back
Top Bottom