Let's Talk Toast

100acre

Adventurist
I've been using this old Couglans stove top toaster for a while but it's a little bit of a pita. It does break down nice and compact and it's lightweight, but it doesn't toast all that well from an angle. Today I found this small enameled steel grilling basket from the Wal of China mart. It was under $10 and it's a woman owned company and made in the USA. If I remove the stove top pot rest from the larger burner, then it fits nicely in the oval area. I could use it upside down to toast 2 slices of bread evenly and right side up for a grill basket for meats or vegetables at a fire pit/ring. I have seen a video on YouTube where a guy used one upside down over his stove to raise a skillet above the flame of the stove , then covered the skillet and made cornbread and other stuff in it like a little oven. Besides with Martinis and Root Beer, how do you toast?
IMG_0214.JPG
IMG_0217.JPG
IMG_0215.JPG
IMG_0211.JPG
FullSizeRender.jpg

I use one of those "cast iron sandwich cookers on a stick" things over the campfire. You know, they look like this:

236150_4156_41.jpg

It gives the kiddos something to do other than ask if breakfast is ready yet.

But when I'm in a hurry I use this setup:

toast.jpg

It works best when the extension cord is plugged into the tire like that.

How well does the cast iron on a stick work?

As long as you've got a good base of hot coals in the fire and you've pre-buttered the bread well it's fantastic. I'm all for items that do more than one thing and the ability to make hot sandwiches, not just toast, is a key factor for this being in my kit. In fact, you've inspired me to do a little internet searching on other things to do with my Pie Iron...apparently that's the technical name. I've discovered that I've been ignoring the endless possibilities of what is essentially a dutch oven on a stick...

mmmmm.jpg

I'm going to get so fat on my next outdoor adventure...

CHEESY GARLIC TATER TOTS?! COME ON!!!

As long as you've got a good base of hot coals in the fire and you've pre-buttered the bread well it's fantastic. I'm all for items that do more than one thing and the ability to make hot sandwiches, not just toast, is a key factor for this being in my kit. In fact, you've inspired me to do a little internet searching on other things to do with my Pie Iron...apparently that's the technical name. I've discovered that I've been ignoring the endless possibilities of what is essentially a dutch oven on a stick...

View attachment 29825

Holy cow! ...Off to Amazon!

View attachment 29825

I'm sold. I think I'm gonna have to pick up one as well. There are endless possibilities there. Anyway to improve on my very limited diet is a win win for me, it doesn't change the foods I can eat, just they way I prepare them!

Have used pie irons (though mine was aluminum) they work pretty well.
Way better than bread on a hot dog fork near a fire...
Has no one else found that you can butter both sides and fry bread to make toast in a skillet (one side at a time)?
... just think grilled cheese with no cheese and only one slice of bread = toast.

Enjoy!

I've been using this old Couglans stove top toaster for a while but it's a little bit of a pita. It does break down nice and compact and it's lightweight, but it doesn't toast all that well from an angle. Today I found this small enameled steel grilling basket from the Wal of China mart. It was under $10 and it's a woman owned company and made in the USA. If I remove the stove top pot rest from the larger burner, then it fits nicely in the oval area. I could use it upside down to toast 2 slices of bread evenly and right side up for a grill basket for meats or vegetables at a fire pit/ring. I have seen a video on YouTube where a guy used one upside down over his stove to raise a skillet above the flame of the stove , then covered the skillet and made cornbread and other stuff in it like a little oven. Besides with Martinis and Root Beer, how do you toast?
View attachment 29806 View attachment 29807 View attachment 29808 View attachment 29809 View attachment 29810

Look what I found in Mary's garage!
unnamed.jpg

I'm cleaning it up now, it'll be in the trailer and ready for toast in no time!
THANKS!

Back
Top Bottom