Let's talk tires..

^LOL...Death Terrians...pure @TangoBlue awesomeness. I'm sticking with the Suicide Terrian Maxxs myself. See you in overlanding Valhalla my friend.
:keyboard

I feel for those poor, timid, hipsters in their flashy full-size trucks with their Toyo, BFG, and Nitto tires. To know danger is to know life...

Valhalla.jpg

Lol.. I'm right there with you on the death terrains.. I've got about 300 miles on mine so far... I know, I'm pushing my luck with that many miles!

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

On a non satirical note (don't let me stop that tho. its malarious). I've been running cooper STT for over a year now and have 20k miles on them. they are still at half tread and Ive lost one to side wall damage. by comparison the Goodyear MTRs i ran before that lost 3 to side wall damage and 1 to being out of round. Thank Jebus for the Discount Tire warranty

Gonna get a set of RT soon for my van

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2002 LX470 expo ready
2008 Ford E350 EB V10 4x4 Sportsmobile PH top
Custom off road trailer

While reading up on some other tires I came across a small company in Texas that sells "re-treaded tires" which are apparently legal on the street for passenger vehicles due to the process they use to retread a used tire casing (recaps like on a CMV are not legal in the US on passenger vehicles). Incredulous as to their claims I did some more searching and found that delaminations are being discussed out in the wilds of the internet.

CMV tires can be recapped in the US except on steer axles, with that said some larger fleets won't buy a used casing and have a life limit on the tires they run (often as discarding the carcass after the first recap has worn to requiring a second). CMVs have the advantage of increased torsional stability during a failure by way of multiple axles and dual wheels (except for super-singles obviously) when compared to the vehicles that most of us use for adventuring.

The found photographs show some of the failures that I have been discussing, including a vehicle with minor roll damage (compared to what I have seen/worked).

20131109_105822_zpse4226744.jpg
CAM01303_zps70de585d.jpg
CAM01304_zps067bd873.jpg
TreadwrightBO.jpg
TreadwrightBO2.jpg
TreadwrightBO3.jpg
TreadwrightBO4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought Treadwrights. They have changed from what was a recapping process to to a remolding process that is a bead to bead process. I spoke directly with TW about this process, and about the delaminations that you can find reported on the internet. My questions were answered sufficiently for me, so we now have TW Warden 2 tires on both vehicles with no complaints so far.

We have about 3500 miles on the tacoma and with our recent vacation I am at about 1500 on the jeep. These miles inlcude highway, commuting, some wheeling at Uwharrie and at least 1.5 miles of rough dirt track every day. I inspect both sets of tires regularly and to date I see no degradation at all. Granted I am not an expert and just doing visual inspection.

I bought Treadwrights. They have changed from what was a recapping process to to a remolding process that is a bead to bead process. I spoke directly with TW about this process, and about the delaminations that you can find reported on the internet. My questions were answered sufficiently for me, so we now have TW Warden 2 tires on both vehicles with no complaints so far.

We have about 3500 miles on the tacoma and with our recent vacation I am at about 1500 on the jeep. These miles inlcude highway, commuting, some wheeling at Uwharrie and at least 1.5 miles of rough dirt track every day. I inspect both sets of tires regularly and to date I see no degradation at all. Granted I am not an expert and just doing visual inspection.

I look forward to your report in this thread about how well the tires performed over many miles and adventures.

Just like with any tire if you hear a noise or a feel a new/different vibration get out and inspect the tires. I don't want to see roof crush and damage profiles of my friend's rigs here on AA.

I look forward to your report in this thread about how well the tires performed over many miles and adventures.

Just like with any tire if you hear a noise or a feel a new/different vibration get out and inspect the tires. I don't want to see roof crush and damage profiles of my friend's rigs here on AA.
I will take your advice on that and keep an eye on things.

I know that I sometimes know more about my tires than I may want to know. Nothing else to do while airing up/down except stare at the tire and find damage that you're kind of glad you found, but you wish it was in your driveway after you got home rather than 300 miles from home.

I once discovered that my wheel...my flippin' double throw me down Weld Forged Aluminum wheels that I spent too much money on...two piece welded together steamin' pile of doo doo WELD wheels had a cracked weld that held the two piece rim together and were leaking air through the WELD wheel center section. As you might have guessed I got a less than satisfactory response from WELD WHEEL customer service. Did I mention I was 300 miles south of the border when I discovered the issue. I thought I knew where the pictures were of the failed wheel. Couldn't find them, but found these.

Jeepspeed spec'ed American Racing wheels (now the parent company of Weld f'n wheels). The tire and the Staun inner liner took the hit and held air...the American Racing wheel not so much.

staun1.jpg

staun3.jpg

staun2.jpg

Damn... that sucks Bob. As much as I love alloy wheels I'm seriously considering going to plain steelies.

Damn... that sucks Bob. As much as I love alloy wheels I'm seriously considering going to plain steelies.
That does suck!

I've thought about the same issues with my wheels as well. I'm not sure the debate between alloy or steel wheels will be settled any time soon with the advantages and disadvantages of each.

Happy to report that the Nitto tires that I got through a sponsorship deal worked well. I've got no real loyalty to Nitto, lucked into the tires through DJR. I was doing the stare at the tires thing while airing them up, was pleased to see that they weren't cut or chunked at all. We didn't do any crazy technical trails, but they got a work out. Aired them down to 12psi, the sidewalls still held well when beating feet down the graded roads, deformed well around the rocks on the more technical stuff.

I, like most of you, have read hundreds of different tire threads and of course, there isn't one definite answer for each of us.
What also surprises me is the lack of commentary about Michelin tires, particularly those of us which full size rigs.....
I have read from many sources that the KO2's are like manna from heaven so I bought a set for the F-350 short bed that my foreman drives. I'm disappointed to say that under, what I would call severe use (construction) these tires are not going to last a year. You heard that right, less than 25k miles. Now those of you with taco's etc. it might be ok but if you gross out above 8 or 9K you might want to think twice.

I am a big fan of Michelins and have them on most of our vehicles. I am currently running their AT2 on my F-350 that will haul my Hallmark cammper on and I'm sure it will last quite a bit longer than a year...
They're not cheap, at least initially but in the long run I think they are worth it.

I plan to go BFG KO2 on the Subaru this time around, but it only weighs 3k. The General is a little too dirt-biased for how hard I push it in the curves, and I am very unhappy with Yokohama right now. Oh they gripped super great and feel wonderful on dirt or tarmac, but our Geolandar ATS have slightly over 12,000 on them and are bald. Not "replace soon 'cause the tread is almost gone" kind of bald, rather the "steel is about to poke out of the slicks" kind of bald. I could forgive a 50k tire for only doing 30k with the way I flog them, but 12k? Seriously? :eek:

The Discovery just feels right on Nitto. 33" Trail Grapplers (MT) came with the wheels I picked up when I went back to alloys, it felt like coming home. I ran through two sets of Terra Grapplers (AT) over the course of 70,000 miles when it was stock and loved them, not sure why I switched. When I sold the old wheels that second set still had better than 50% tread life. I may switch to their Exo or Ridge Grappler model when they wear out as I need all-season up here, but the BFG KO2 is tempting. The Disco's weight varies between 6k and 7k depending on what I'm up to and how long I'm going out.

I've tried to like Cooper, but just can't do it. I'll admit it's over an irrational personal bias, but meh.

^^^^True that!

I'm in the car business, and a crew dog for BFG pits for the Baja 500/1000, so I'm a little biased towards BFG. Having said that, some of my GMC 2500/3500 HD customers have noted that the new style BFG AT's seem to be wearing faster than previous versions. I've got low mileage on my current BFG AT's so I don't have a personal opinion on their durability.

People bitched that BFG's were too hard. That they didn't do good in snow or rain. But they wore like iron.

So BFG changes the compound to address these "small" overall gripes, and now people bitch that they wear faster. But I hear they wear more evenly and balance better.

Welp, you certainly can't please all the people all the time right? :dunno

Back
Top Bottom