Keweenaw Peninsula

Chris Griggers

Adventurist
Author
In May we had the opportunity to take a long awaited 4-day trip to the western portion of Michigan’s Upper Peninsula aka the UP (or “Yoop” in local slang). It was an amazing trip that did not disappoint, and really spiked our interest to see more of this vast region!
38086063_10217498249234206_4441543964192931840_n-600x800.jpg

First place we headed was to the Porcupine Mountains.  We did a quick drive around the Wilderness State Park and cruised through to the other side to see the Lake of Clouds.  Unfortunately, it was getting late and we hadn’t eaten lunch yet (which meant hangry was right around the corner for me), and we had a fussy baby on our hands. Then we realized there was a fee to get back there, so we decided to see it another time.  I’m sure we missed an incredible picture op and view from all the descriptions and the pictures that we have seen.  But, it gave us something to have to go back for!  Headed out of the park...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice...we just returned yesterday from an impromptu trip up to Copper Harbor. The U.P. is one of my most favorite places on earth - Alaska is the other. I'm fortunate to have lived in both places for many years, and always enjoy seeing it through others eyes.
Andy

Nice...we just returned yesterday from an impromptu trip up to Copper Harbor. The U.P. is one of my most favorite places on earth - Alaska is the other. I'm fortunate to have lived in both places for many years, and always enjoy seeing it through others eyes.
Andy
Seems like any time spent in Copper Harbor is never long enough, Alaska is also on our long list of places to see.

Great tale! We've wandered all over the UP and throughly enjoyed the Keweenaw, though the Porkies and Drummond Island are still are favorite Yooper destinations.

Nice trip report. Love the UP. Been many times as I'm a troll. For those who don't know what a troll is, it's people who live under the bridge. Meaning south of the Mackinac Bridge in the lower peninsula. Backpacked the Porcupine Mountains. Never did see the mountains though, ha.

And speaking of the Gay Bar, there use to be a toy manufacturer in Gay way back in the day. Now and then you'd see one of their tractor trailers going down the highway and in giant letters on the side of the trailer it said "There Goes Another Load of Gay Toys". Ahh the good ol days.

Mike

Nice trip report. Love the UP. Been many times as I'm a troll. For those who don't know what a troll is, it's people who live under the bridge. Meaning south of the Mackinac Bridge in the lower peninsula. Backpacked the Porcupine Mountains. Never did see the mountains though, ha.

And speaking of the Gay Bar, there use to be a toy manufacturer in Gay way back in the day. Now and then you'd see one of their tractor trailers going down the highway and in giant letters on the side of the trailer it said "There Goes Another Load of Gay Toys". Ahh the good ol days.

Mike

That would have been a sight to see!

Back
Top Bottom