Kayak advice?

Luke

Adventurist
So Erika and I have found a new home, which means more storage! So, obviously, we'll be in the market for some kayaks in the very near future.

I am looking for something that will accommodate both fishing and overnight trips, in the ocean and on rivers. I've done a little research, but I'm venturing into uncharted waters when it comes to kayaks. Any advice and input would be much appreciated.

Of course you'll want to look at matching Hobie Kayaks with the foot propulsion system. I have a FeelFree Lure 13.5 and I've Managed to mount a trolling motor and fish finder sonar on mine. Another unique design in this yak is the "wheel in the keel" which helps with portability. A downside is the boat empty with just the seat is 95 lbs. I've never ocean kayaked but if I did I would mod some out riggers for added stability.. No good quality fishing kayak is gonna be cheap unless you buy used and or from a motivated seller. Also look in the off season when everyone is selling their gear to buy xmas presents or pay bills..
IMG_6146.JPG
IMG_6129.JPG
IMG_6027.JPG

Last edited:
Hobie looks great, but its a little out of my price range for now. I'll keep an eye out for something used.

One thing I learned in SoCal is that whatever you get needs to be ocean friendly. The options for saltwater paddling are nearly infinite. Stay away from canoes or even hybrid canoe/kayaks as they will swamp even in moderate swells or whitecaps.

One thing I learned in SoCal is that whatever you get needs to be ocean friendly. The options for saltwater paddling are nearly infinite. Stay away from canoes or even hybrid canoe/kayaks as they will swamp even in moderate swells or whitecaps.

I agree, in definitely not looking for a sit on top type of kayak. I just want something I can fish off of with enough storage to do overnight trips.

My friend just bought the Traverse, the 9 foot version, without the skeg it does not go straight, and it is slower compared to my cheap boats. He really likes it and would do what it is designed for... I always have bought used kayaks.

I've also had two Perception Carolina 13.5's with rudders which were decent for touring but limited on space, plus long and narrow. I also had a Dagger Blackwater 10.5 Hybrid with a drop skeg which was a great little boat that I've used all over the country in both flat and class 3-4 rapids. It had a rear storage compartment. My current fishing Yak- the 13.5 Lure has a carrying capacity of 500 lbs. I'm 6'9" tall and 240 lbs. it carries me well with a heavy Group 27 deep cycle battery, Minn Kota 30lb thrust trolling motor, the mount I made for it and all of my fishing gear. The bar upfront is for standing and casting from. No problems whatsoever.
http://feelfreeus.com/kayaks/fishing-kayaks/lure-13-5/

That tupelo looks nice, but at a 265 max capacity I'd have to leave my beer at home, and paddle, and probably my clothes too... :eek:

That's the LT (light) version, the regular Tupelo is rated for 250-300. It would carry me and some gear. :D

Only thing with the Tupelo im worried about is its not rated well for the ocean, which is probably the majority of where we'll be spending our time.

Back
Top Bottom