JustAhead Travel Guide App? Experience? Feedback?

4x4x4doors

Adventurist
While prepping for a spring 2018 trip, happened across an app called JustAhead.
Basically, you download their guide (for a price) to your phone then uses the phone's GPS to tell you about nearby points of interest, etc. Saw something that worked similar to this when we visited Terra Nova National Park in Newfoundland.
Their website lets you download "sample files" which seem interesting enough but I'm curious about feedback on how the app works in real life.
https://www.justahead.com/

The offline functionality looks cool, but otherwise it sounds like a "pro" version of Roadtrippers, with a much smaller database since it's not crowdsourced. I love the concept in general, most of these apps are just so young that they lack a lot of great (and well known) POIs...looking forward to the day when one of them finally reaches maturity.

My biggest gripe, and it's a problem with all the one's I've checked out, is that you can't import/export a route via GPX or KML.

We've used Just Ahead a number of times, and we LOVE it (Apryl and I).

Our first big experience with it was on our way to St. George Utah, and we listened to the I-15 guide the entire way from So Cal to St. George. Everyone knows the 15... Long, boring, traffic, nothingness. This guide changed the entire experience! We learned of history and points of interest we had no idea were even there. "Just Ahead is the exit for the Route 66 Museum!", we visited that and a bunch of other things it pointed out! It even knows which direction you're traveling, so you don't hear the same thing twice when you pass the audio point for folks traveling the other direction.

After that I was sold, since we were headed to Utah/North Rim Grand Canyon, we paid for the year, since individual guides would have been more money for where we were headed.

I don't feel as though we needed a KML or a path into the GPS, since I knew where I was going, and Just Ahead had GPS points to tell us about spots along the path we were already driving.

Highly recommended for anyone who frequents the National Parks and thinks they've seen and learned everything there is to know about them. Chances are you've missed a lot, and Just Ahead will point it all out to you.

We had so much fun with it and recommend it to so many people, that I signed up for their affiliate program, click to get a discount: http://justahead.com/discount?ref=14

Back
Top Bottom