Isle Royale

Dave

Adventurist
Founder
Senior Staff
Editor
I like maps. The older the better. I’ve pored over them, studied them, and dreamed about far away places my entire life. My eye is irresistably drawn to the remote places on any map, the isolated, less traveled areas and the unknown. One such place is Isle Royale.
IMG_0102.jpg

Isle Royale National Park was established in 1940, then protected from development by wilderness area designation in 1976, and declared a UNESCO International Biosphere Reserve in 1980. At 45 miles long and just shy of nine wide, Isle Royale is one of the least visited National Parks – Yosemite gets more visitors in one day then Isle Royale sees in an entire year. Located in the far north of Lake Superior near Canada, Isle Royale National Park is actually an archipelago that covers an area of 850 square miles or approximately 571,790 acres. It has 165 miles of trails, and no vehicles are allowed on the island...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice! True adventure travel after my own heart. A trip to Isle Royale is in Michelle and I's queue of planned trips and this story is going to seal the deal for sure.

Nice! True adventure travel after my own heart. A trip to Isle Royale is in Michelle and I's queue of planned trips and this story is going to seal the deal for sure.

Happy to help! ;)

This one was already on the list but just because one goal is to visit all of the National parks. Thanks for providing even more inspiration. I’m looking forward to more installments!

Ah - memories! My BSA troop where I grew up in Illinois always took it's new Life scouts for a multiday backpacking trip to Isle Royale. Fond memories of that trip, the boat ride up...not so much. Water was a brisk 38-39 degrees and was clean enough to drink right from Lake Superior...this was circa 1971 when I was there. The best way to 'clean up' was a very brisk 5 second dip into the lake! So close to the Canadian border that you could see Canada from the northern shores of the island.

I need Day two Dave!

Last edited:
Great article...thank you for sharing such a cool family trip with the masses. Looking forward to Day Two...promising to read s-l-o-w-l-y. ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom