Isle Royale II

Dave

Adventurist
Founder
Senior Staff
Editor
We listened as a wolf howled, seemingly right outside our shelter the first night. Yes, there are wolves on Isle Royale, and as the days wore on we would see their scat on the trail during the day, and hear them at night. Funny how their song wasn’t scary or creepy as you might imagine it to be. Just the same, their soulful music reminded us of the struggle for life that all creatures face here on the island, ruling out any midnight bathroom breaks for the girls.

Soon the dawn came and with fresh socks, full bellies and empty bladders it was time to leave our shelter and Three Mile behind. These shelters are a happy sight for weary hikers on the island, providing a respite from bugs and inclement weather. Before moving on, we took some extra time to sweep it out and leave it better than we found it...
Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

richard310

Adventurist
Author
Looking good there boss man! A little sad once you get back on-grid isn't it?

We gotta hone your night photo skills though, and not too sure about that "bokeh/blurr" setting on there too. Effective but a bit spotty.

Dave

Adventurist
Founder
Senior Staff
Editor
Looking good there boss man! A little sad once you get back on-grid isn't it?

We gotta hone your night photo skills though, and not too sure about that "bokeh/blurr" setting on there too. Effective but a bit spotty.
A wise man once said, better to take quick photos that capture the moment, and to be in that moment, than to focus so much on perfection that you don’t live in the moment, or post the story ;)

Haggis

Adventurist
Senior Staff
Editor
Founding Member
Great tale! I knew there were some shelters but didn't know how plentiful they were so I assume you were packing shelter alternatives. Are you going to post up details of your load out?

Dave

Adventurist
Founder
Senior Staff
Editor
Great tale! I knew there were some shelters but didn't know how plentiful they were so I assume you were packing shelter alternatives. Are you going to post up details of your load out?
The shelters are only in a few spots on the coast. There are none on the Minong and Greenstone Ridge.

Our loadout was pretty basic but yes I should share that here :)

Top Bottom