Is this the right tent for me?

hidesertwheelin

Adventurist
I've been looking for a good then that will hold my 8 yr old daughter and myself in for winter desert trips and in the spring to fall for mountain trips. In a few years it may also hold my now 3 yr old daughter with us. I have a Cabelas 8 man Alaska Guide tent for the entire family, but it is way to big for just my daughter and I. What I have found is a 4 man Turbo Tent premium (canvas). It's 8x8 and since it's a turbo tent, it's something I can put up by myself really fast if the weather is bad or cold outside. We both have zero degree bags, and I also have cots. My worry is that this maybe a little to big for 2 people. It's used, and the price is a few hunderd $. My other option is to buy a cheap RTT, but I'd rather wait until my younger daughter gets older and buy a bigger one then. Opinions?

Last edited:
I had to look it up, $700 for that tent and I'm not exactly sure what "rip stop poly-cotton canvas" is. For that money (plus poles) you can have an actual 10x10ft canvas wall tent made out of 10oz sunforger cotton canvas that will last a lifetime with a little care.

I had to look it up, $700 for that tent and I'm not exactly sure what "rip stop poly-cotton canvas" is. For that money (plus poles) you can have an actual 10x10ft canvas wall tent made out of 10oz sunforger cotton canvas that will last a lifetime with a little care.

The guy is only asking a few hundred $. But I'm thinking of trying to build sleeping/storage box in the back instead.

Get an RTT. I have the Tepui Autana and it is the best thing I ever did for the comfort of my wife and kids while camping. The first time we used it my daughter was 9 Mos and we all stayed warm through rain, snow and wind @ 8000 ft in the Sierras. I would spend the extra money. There is no comparison for comfort and durability.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Build you a drawer system out of plywood. I can put a queen size mattress on top of ours. Later by a RTT and you still use the platform for storage. No wasting money on something you won't use later. I love ours and look forward to a RTT later.
drawer system 2.JPG
IMG_2380.JPG

I own 2 turbo tents and I really like them. I have the 4 man and the 8 man in poly. My wife and I sleep in the 4 man and our 4 kids sleep in the 8 man, both are super easy to put up by myself if needed.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450567718.000034.jpg

I've put about 20 nights in them in the past year and they are holding up great.
RTT seem cool unless you are staying in the same place for a few days and want/need to take a day trip.

Ryan
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom