Is it true? 2017 Jeep Scrambler

<rant mode: on>

First of all, a Scrambler is not a truck. I hate to sound pedantic, but unless you can remove the bed it's not a truck.

Anyway, there are three main options for FCA to put a Jeep "truck" into production:

First... They throw together a civilian-spec J8/JK8 retro-Scrambler and call it a "truck." We've already covered that it's not a real truck, so it'd be a FAIL.

Second... They copy the AEV Brute and put it into mass production. I doubt AEV's long standing contract with Jeep would let the happen. Preemptive FAIL.

Third... They slap a seven slot grill on the Ram and call it a "Jeep" truck... given how it's not authentically a Jeep, it would be a FAIL. Just like when they put a seven slot grill on the Nitro and called it a Liberty, or when they put a seven slot grill on the Caliber and called it a Compass and a Patriot... or <gags> slapped a seven slot grill on a Fiat and called it a "Cherokee" or "Renegade." Rebranding is FAILING. You hear that FCA?​

So... that leaves something like the Gladiator. Cool concept from a few years ago. Has the authentic unique look of a Jeep. Their most viable option is to put it on the mil-spec J8 frame with D44 front and leaf sprung D60 rear. That'd actually be kinda cool. That's also the only real way they won't continue to piss off the remaining pure-brand Jeep loyalists who haven't defected to Toyota. That would also open the door for something like the Rescue to come back as a retro Grand Wagoneer (or that cool looking Cherokee Chief concept they recently did) that is actually something more than a rebranded Durango/Aspen. Same front end, same chassis, just a different body. I just don't see it happening. Too logical and too loyal to the Jeep tradition for the minds at FCA. They'd rather just exploit the brand as much as they can to make up for lack-luster sales of their bland boring cars and station wagons.

<rant mode: off>

Jeep has only been promising the gladiator since '06 and the J12 concept showed up '12 IIRC so I'll believe it when I'm signing the order sheet. Being the car whore I am I would order either one tomorrow if and only if the gladiator was a double cab as I have zero use for a half cab anything. And it has dana 44's ft/r, a rubi type t-case, 4.56's stock, 33's minimum with ft/r lockers and a 30 mpg diesel option. OR if they did a straight up rebirth of the full size reg cab Jeep truck and then I am only a buyer for that under heavy duty type specs or maybe even a crew cab version with either offering a choice of a 5.7 6.4 or some heavy duty diesel. Holy sweet tow rig batman. I just don't need another garbage pentastar engine in my life. I was hoping they would eventually go with an updated grand wagoneer but it will have to be it's own unique animal and not a rehash of the durango for me to be interested. And none of this bull--- where it's designed so it cannot be modified. I'd gladly make grocery store runs in a waggy with a 2" lift and some 33" bfg km2's.

As far as Jeep copying AEV I'm sure a big fat check was written to someone when Diamler was in charge of Jeep. Can't tell me AEV didn't look at the gladiator concept way back when and ask a collective "wth?" Someone had to have been paid back then maybe with a contract negotiated in case Jeep wanted to use the design in the future.

I wonder how Jeep would offer a gladiator type rig without neutering it. Unless they don't care because the lions share of new Jeep's never see anything other than the drive thru at starbucks or the entrance to the mall. I keep having a nightmare that marchionne spins off Jeep. I shudder to think what gm or ford would do to the brand. Look everyone, it's the all aluminum 2018 JK Volt! Can't go off road because you will destroy the 20k battery pack. It wouldn't surprise me if I woke up tomorrow and Sergio had hired the design team behind the pontiac aztek for all future Jeep projects or sold the whole company to mahindra and the JK becomes the new Thar.

I keep having a nightmare that marchionne spins off Jeep. I shudder to think what gm or ford would do to the brand.

I have a fantasy where Fuji Heavy Industries buys Jeep and lines it up next to Subaru.

Speaking of bland and boring the renegade seems to be very popular with the fedora and skinny jean crowd here.

The Renegade commercials are proof positive that FCA has willingly and knowingly lost touch with the original core of Jeep enthusiasts. Sadly I know, first hand, they don't care about Jeep enthusiasts. It was something I had to fight with when I worked for them. Chrysler, DB, and not FCA just continue to milk the legacy and heritage of the Jeep brand without any respect to the people who helped build that legacy and heritage. Dangling a Jeep truck out there like a carrot and throwing something together that will most likely not be a real Jeep truck is the worst part. So sad.

That is sad Dean... and it seems to this non-Jeep owner that the answer is within their grasp - the J8 platform. If that came to the US market it might even influence this long-time Toyota fan to reconsider.

That is sad Dean... and it seems to this non-Jeep owner that the answer is within their grasp - the J8 platform. If that came to the US market it might even influence this long-time Toyota fan to reconsider.

Yes... if they're willing to put formally mil-spec hardware into civilian hands.

As for the body... The dealer I used to work at cranked out a few of the JK8 conversions (take a used JKU and re-skin the back end) and they sold like hot cakes. Sadly the price premium on the labor side of the conversion made them unaffordable for the "average" Jeeper. They were more of a novelty for those with cash to burn. If Jeep would put the J8/JK8 body into production as a retro Scrambler for the same price as a current JK I think they'd do really well - even if it isn't the "truck" everyone is clamoring for. There's still a following for the CJ8/LJ (myself included) that would be very tempted by an affordable retro-Scrambler.

As for the chassis... Going with a civilian J8 chassis would be awesome given the diesel option, stock gearing, lockers, and factory D44 front and D60 rear. The only reason I think we're seeing this now (and not ten years ago) is because the military contracts for J8's seem to be winding down (plus the US never jumped on it to replace the CUCV/HMMVV as a non-tactical base vehicle). I'm sure the Jeep plant in Egypt will continuing making J8's for the Middle East but I could see the old Cherokee production lines in Toledo dedicated to a few J8 chassis Jeep projects... be they truck or Scrambler. I just think it's a far grasp to see that kind of heavy duty drive train out of a Fiat owned company. They seem to be going the complete and total opposite direction with their latest Jeep branded products.

Yes... If Jeep would put the J8/JK8 body into production as a retro Scrambler for the same price as a current JK I think they'd do really well - even if it isn't the "truck" everyone is clamoring for. There's still a following for the CJ8/LJ (myself included) that would be very tempted by an affordable retro-Scrambler.

As for the chassis... Going with a civilian J8 chassis would be awesome given the diesel option, stock gearing, lockers, and factory D44 front and D60 rear.

Ummm... yup, count me in.

Everyone forgets the CJ-6. I was ready to build one when Jeep came out with the TJ/LJ Unlimited, turn key with a warranty was SO much easier than a build would have been.

The biggest difference between the CJ-6 and the Scrambler was the wheelbase/overhangs. The Scrambler rear overhang is so long that many of them were bobbed, not as much of a problem with the CJ-6/LJ Unlimited.

Yes... if they're willing to put formally mil-spec hardware into civilian hands.

I assume you met 'former' vice 'formal'... regardless, MIL-SPEC, or military specifications, is merely a set of standards in which an item has to operate, e.g., temperature extremes, endurance, altitude, exposure to water or sea (salt) environments, etc. No mysteries here, just a set of voluminous standards to anticipate future operating environments for a military employed vehicle to enable mission success.

With that stated, what exotic MIL-SPEC axles does the J8 sit on... a Dana 44 and 60. You can get this exclusive military hardware from DynaTrac though Jegs on-line, but you can't get them from Jeep on a production JK. WTF? Obviously I'm being sarcastic, and there are other components that make up this truck all of which is available in the US retail marketplace. Except the Egyptian J8 Italian diesel engine, of course, but that can be easily solved with a domestic diesel engine option like Cummins new 3.3L engine that meets US emission standards.

An aside to this topic, but nonetheless interesting, is that this manufacturing agreement is more than just a business savvy joint venture between Chrysler and Cairo (and Israel make them too) through the Arab-American Vehicle Company. It's actually a result of US Foreign Military Sales, part of a larger multi-billion dollar package of aid provided to Egypt to influence their pro-Western government.

So, in Tango's simple mind, the US Government financed and enabled production of the Jeep J8, built on standards we all recognize as those necessary to build a rugged, durable American off-road vehicle. The vehicle that many automotive magazine and blog reviews have labeled, "the best Jeep ever made." And you can't have one...

There was also an extended version of the YJ. Same frame and tub as a CJ8 but with the square headlight grill. My dad found a few stashed away in one of Saddam's junk yards outside Taji, Iraq. We were scheming for a while on how to get them into a container and ship them to the US. I'll have to see if I can dig up the pics. He said in a nearby pile were a few DUKS and some other US military hardware from WWII laying around.

There were rumors recently it was a half ton frame, with the possibility of the Hemi being an engine offering. Doesn't look like that will be the case. I'm still curious to know about the frame since there is a solid axle up there that looks kind of small.

Speaking of bland and boring the renegade seems to be very popular with the fedora and skinny jean crowd here.

Wait... what? Someone here is sporting a fedora and skinny jeans? That's a serious accusation that demands proof!

;)

There were rumors recently it was a half ton frame, with the possibility of the Hemi being an engine offering. Doesn't look like that will be the case. I'm still curious to know about the frame since there is a solid axle up there that looks kind of small.

It needs a Hemi. At least.

I know Chris...skinny and Chris haven't been used in the same sentence since puberty...from the President of the YHTBAROYTC (You have to build a roof over your tool club, we're trying to be HIP with the acronym!":eek:)

Back
Top Bottom