Is FRP (FlipPac) still in business?

I think starting at vertical with an unloaded bar is how you avoid needing a special tool to torque it. In theory all Flippac torsion bars are at neutral at full vertical and load as they go either direction. Not to drift too much but I wonder if perfect verticality could be the culprit why some lasted forever and some lasted for months. Perhaps an engineer can chime in here rather than a B- physics student from decades ago. :study

Work is crazy right now, but if I can make timing work I would not mind helping out with this project

Sent via carrier pigeon

Lets just say my SLO fly is currently attached and tucked within the flippac. When I deploy it is always within reach and can be secured down using the Stratchets then I can climb on the tires and install the battens. I did remove two of the six plastic windows and had SLO do the FLY modifications. Also closed up the vent over the hood because I can not reach that one and install batten when deployed. Also what I came up with allows for removal in summer months when rain isn't expected and Fly isn't needed. I probably should of removed 4 of the six windows but its doable for right now. This past trip was rain every night and I had to figure out a better solution for deploying while raining and this worked well. I do need to remove the fly so I can waterproof and seam seal it better before Rendezvous. Any suggestions on waterproofing so it doesn't get saturated when raining. Big flaw with flippac is the poles aren't external, cause if they were and the fly was on there would be a better air gap between the tent fabric and fly fabric... result warmer and less saturation in raining conditions. Ground tents are all external poles.

Last edited:
I used the Nikwax on my tent portion mainly because I wanted the sun protection. That said, this year more than once I was caught in a surprise rain storm and the tent never leaked (it used to leak like a colander) - Creating the air gap. On my SLO rain fly in warm weather, I guy line each of the side straps (3 each side) out and off, creates a big air gap, I can leave the tent windows wide open and it works great!

I used NikWax as well.

https://americanadventurist.com/forum/threads/daves-at-flippac-thread.46/

IMG_6052.jpg

Look on YouTube for video of it opening.

Carbon fiber. $$$$$.

The holy grail.

I have seen that many times, but oh my $$$$ - That was the great thing about Flippac - affordable even when new! Really hope someone saves it and keeps the price point!

I have read through this forum and am in need of a Torsion bar and someone to install it for me....did anyone have any luck finding an installer? I need a crank too...and possibly a cover...do you think a trailer mechanic could install this?

^^^^Like Mitch said, the shops liability if it goes horribly wrong will be your biggest obstacle to overcome IMO.

What's the deal with this Habitat ?? It's like they took the concept from FlipPac and then reversed it to get around a patent issue... Curious if this company is somehow related or spawned from...

18299436_1934403986790990_3776258160017276928_n.jpg

17819282_241107256362960_323802201535283200_n.jpg

That's the AT Habitat and while sorta similar it's quite different in terms of the way it works. Much better tent (no need for a rain fly) and just a much more robust design overall. Similar in looks yes but the design is so different you can't really call it a clone or a knock off.

The original "FlipPac" was actually called the Barr Top and dates back to the mid 70's in San Diego. The FlipPac was an evolution of the Barr Top and used to be part of the "Six Pac" camper company until the owner died when they split it up between two sons - one took over Six Pac campers and thrived and the other son took FlipPac and ran it into the ground. FlipPac rights and molds were sold to Homer, the owner of FRP (Fiberglass Reinforced Products) in the early 90's, who then made them as kind of a side thing when they weren't making large industrial fiberglass items. They recently went out of business and it seems the FlipPac died with FRP.

Back
Top Bottom