Is FRP (FlipPac) still in business?

Taken from Ex Po Flippac thread - helping get the word to fellow Flippac owners needing torsion bars

Hi Guys,

My name is George, I handle all of the Marketing for Sway-A-Way. The response to our Flip-pac torsion bars has been great and we look forward to getting parts into all of your hands as fast as we can! I will continue to update this thread as we get further along in production.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by mattyj
FYI the torsion bars are now listed on their website. Odd feeling to be able to effortlessly buy a part for my flippac online, instead of calling FRP several dozen times over the course of a couple months.

Although the website makes it look like they are in stock, Brian said they won't be ready to ship for another 4-6 weeks.
I've updated the website to show these as currently on "backorder", sorry for any confusion! matty is correct, these will ship in 4-6 weeks.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by homemade
Free shipping, no tax, easy order, improved product, reputable company, no BS - hallelujah indeed.

I ordered one and when I get it I will probably replace the original and keep the OEM as a spare.
We appreciate it!
smile.gif

I ordered up one of the Swayaway torsion bar replacements. They are going into production, and will take about 4 weeks until they are ready to ship.
I have been in contact with Brian about the aluminum sheath that covers the torsion bar. He is trying to gather info about it.
I measured mine to be ~13/16" OD, and 56 1/2" in length.
I have yet to mess with replacing my torsion bar, but it sure looks like the sheath is just a simple aluminum tube that covers the bar. Can anyone with more knowledge chime in to correct or confirm?

I replaced my bar last year (broke again this year). The sheath is just to cover the bar. I didn't have a cover so I just got some AL tubing from Home Depot. There are some good instructions on Ex Po and Ytube for doing the replacement.

I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding in the statement "We all knew FRP was circling the drain". FRP was NOT in the business to sell Flipacs. They made industrial fiberglass piping and other products. The Flipac was ALWAYS there for fill work which is why the customer service and lead time often sucked. So AT or Ursa Minor didn't come out with a better product which drove FRP out of business. It was more likely a combination of our recent economic downturn and California's ever increasing regulation of any chemical more hazardous than distilled water.

I'm glad we have a source of replacement torsion bars. That was the weak link and with those available then these Flipacs should be viable for a LONG time into the future. BTW... ALL Flipacs have the same size lid and the same torsion bar.

I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding in the statement "We all knew FRP was circling the drain". FRP was NOT in the business to sell Flipacs. They made industrial fiberglass piping and other products. The Flipac was ALWAYS there for fill work which is why the customer service and lead time often sucked. So AT or Ursa Minor didn't come out with a better product which drove FRP out of business. It was more likely a combination of our recent economic downturn and California's ever increasing regulation of any chemical more hazardous than distilled water.

I'm glad we have a source of replacement torsion bars. That was the weak link and with those available then these Flipacs should be viable for a LONG time into the future. BTW... ALL Flipacs have the same size lid and the same torsion bar.

They made a business out of selling them nonetheless. It was bad business not being honest about lead-times, generally making themselves unreachable, and having poor quality control. If I were a betting man, I would guess those same practices carried into their primary work. Also, I don't think anyone here was making a claim that AT or Ursa Minor drove them out of business.

It think this is right. Maybe their primary business didn't have a high requirement for customer service (taking orders/shipping prouduct) but FlipPac business probably did. I'm seeing this theme at a bunch of places right now as overlanding goes mainstream and all manner of folks are starting to build cottage businesses around it. The problem is when the cottage grows to requires a cabin, then a house, then a shop, then a factory. The folks that run the cottage typically don't have the skill sets to manage it when it gets large, nor raise the capital required. Then it implodes on them because they don't hire the right people to run it, raise the capital, etc.

Thats when the mainstream steps in - it's starting to happen right now. Winnebago with the 4x4 Sprinter concept, as an example. The market is widening and what was once a niche is broad enough for them to enter. You'd be shocked to hear the names (hi-brow overlanding brands) where the customer service is starting to really suck. At least in my experience.

Customer service is the cornerstone to the business.

Indeed it is. And FRP, though nice people, just plain sucked. Glad that those who have them have some aftermarket support now to keep them adventuring on into the future.

I know that part of the decision to sell mine was based on the near Unobtainium status of repair parts - even though I live 40 minutes from their shop - there were no guarantees that they would even pick up the phone much less be open if I stopped by. Time waits for no one, and rotary phones, an abacus and piles of papers were sure signs of circling the drain to me.

Glad to hear that there is now a source for parts. Being a VW guy my first thought was to talk to one of the torsion bar suppliers.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

BTW, I wasn't implying that SMB is suffering customer service issues... I have no idea, I just know that with a 1-year waiting list, someone is going to find a way to service the demand.

I have had some marginal customer service from others in our "community" of vendors... And that makes me sad since said community (at least in the US) made their existence possible.

Indeed it is. And FRP, though nice people, just plain sucked. Glad that those who have them have some aftermarket support now to keep them adventuring on into the future.

I know that part of the decision to sell mine was based on the near Unobtainium status of repair parts - even though I live 40 minutes from their shop - there were no guarantees that they would even pick up the phone much less be open if I stopped by. Time waits for no one, and rotary phones, an abacus and piles of papers were sure signs of circling the drain to me.

abacus!! YES!! :rofl

BTW, I wasn't implying that SMB is suffering customer service issues... I have no idea, I just know that with a 1-year waiting list, someone is going to find a way to service the demand.

I have had some marginal customer service from others in our "community" of vendors... And that makes me sad since said community (at least in the US) made their existence possible.

DUDE!! SORRY... I'll start making Snow Peak enhancements again!!! JEEZ.... ;)

Oh they're yours. I just had to buy half the guy's SP kit to get them! :-0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely awesome work getting a new torsion bar manufacturer.

My problem is not the bar, but I lost my crank+handle (on the same day FRP went kaput, apparently).
Does anyone have an extra for sale?
Or any ideas on getting someone to manufacture these?
Or any ideas on if that spliney-socket thing is a stock part that can be welded on to some Aluminum bar?

Rock on ya'll.

I would contact Sway-A-Way. If they are making replacement torsion bars, they will know the spline size and type. I bet they could make one for you, or with that info, you could find someone make one for you.

I would contact Sway-A-Way. If they are making replacement torsion bars, they will know the spline size and type. I bet they could make one for you, or with that info, you could find someone make one for you.

+1

Back
Top Bottom