Ineos Grenadier

This could be really good if not priced beyond the reach of us mortals - I went on the Land Rover site and built a new Defender 110, fully loaded it was over $87K...

I've done that too. A 6 cylinder 110 HSE in the color I wanted with the off road goodies costs $75K. A house payment on something I may roll over and bloody knuckles every time you work on it trying to reach something that no human hand was designed to reach.

All that talk about reliability, toughness, etc. an they want a BMW engine? Don't get me wrong, I love BMW motorcycles and their older cars, but I wouldn't put them on my list of possible engines for a 4wd.
I feel the same way. A Toyota engine would have been nice. But from what I've heard and what engines are currently being produced by BMW. My guess is BMW's B57 diesel and B58 gas. Both are straight sixes. And both down tuned for for a flatter torque profile.

In any case. I like seeing it being introduced into the market. I hope it motivates Toyota to actually follow through with the rumors about their plans for the Land Cruiser. Lower the cost and make it a true off-road vehicle rather than the land yacht it currently is.

Yep. Plans for a double cab pick-up. The black trim on the sides are optional t-slot rails
INEOS-Grenadier.jpg

Last edited:
From their press release.
  • Exterior wiring, with exit points to the front and the rear of the roof, is included as standard; this allows easy access for powering auxiliary lamps, work lamps or beacons.
  • Rear doors are wide enough for a EUR/EPAL-pallet. 1,200 mm × 800 mm × 144 mm (47.2 in × 31.5 in × 5.7 in).
  • Front lamps are the same units on the left and the right,
  • Roof bars and roof strips to enable loads to be mounted and secured directly without a roof rack
INEOS-Grenadier-top.jpg

I have been following this companies build up and really like it. My fear though, it will be some over prices, rich person's mall crawler... and it will be well out of the average person's reach.

I have been following this companies build up and really like it. My fear though, it will be some over prices, rich person's mall crawler... and it will be well out of the average person's reach.

My hopes and fears are the same but I've heard good indications that it's not going to be. I met their accessories manager at Overland Expo East and we've been keeping in touch.

I've since read some very positive reviews of the BMW engines so I'll give it a wait and see. If it turns out to be a reliable vehicle and it's priced reasonably I could see me getting one. I've been thinking about what I want after the current Tacoma.

Very cool. Looks like a Defender though even though its design was "engineering led". How will the Bronco stack up to all of these?

Can I fit 37s without a lift?
Ok, I’m actually interested in this but after watching the videos over the last year, I do have some ground clearance questions based on what I’ve seen. I’m not looking for a rock crawler but some of the routes I want to take will need to have some crawling ability. Anyone seen any info on clearance and/or crawling abilities?

To say the design was influenced by the old 110 Defender is an understatement of epic proportions. I guess an argument can be made that the looks are style and the "engineering led" part is getting rid of all the annoyances of a design that's decades old. Where things like air conditioning was stuffed into a vehicle that was never designed to have one.

Looking at the exterior mockup in the latest video. Those look like 16" wheels and 265/75R16's. The same 16"x7" that was on the 2016 LR Defender. Comparing it to a 2016 LR Defender the wheel arches look the same size. That will probably mean around a 10" ground clearance with an OEM 31" tire.

Changing the tires is the simplest upgrade and one of the first upgrades people perform. Going from 31's to 35's is an easy 2" lift. I'm sure they're aware that the Rubicon can fit 35" tires and that the New Bronco will come standard with 34" tires. Hopefully they will place the body mounts so larger tires can be fitted without cutting them back.

LAND-ROVER-Defender-110-5030_18.jpg

Back
Top Bottom