In progress: my chuck box...

Andy

Adventurist
Founding Member
NOTE: I HURT MY BACK SO IM CATCHING UP ON POSTS INTEAD OF WORKING. ALSO, IM GETTING RID OF MY BEER STOCKPILE AS A PAIN KILLING DEVICE. I WILL UPDATE AS I GO...

I've been planning my chuck box build for some time and finally decided to showcase my crap wood working skills. The plan is to combine all my kitchen kit into one container with remaining space for dry goods. Then, make it so it fits on my tailgate next to the fridge to create a full kitchen setup. Construction is from 1/2 inch hardwood ply. Here is where I'm at so far:
image.jpg

The lid will open up at a 90 degree angle and hold utensils, spices and paper towels. In this photo I'm holding it open since I won't put the hinges on until I run the sander to level out the mating surfaces. The lid will have a felt strip to seal it.
image.jpg

The front panel comes off to allow access to the stove and grill (bottom level), and the dry storage on the right. Access to the left side is from the front for propane bottles and the top for wine and booze bottles.
image.jpg

The top compartment holds plates, serving bowls, glasses and mugs, snow peaks cutting board, and assorted odds and ends.
image.jpg

Finally, the front panel attaches to the side on the tie down points to form a table surface.
image.jpg

Now to finalize the interior layout, sand, stain and attach all the hardware.

Edit 1: Did a test fit in the truck bed. Need to take an inch off the box and another off the lid. Not sure how I measured wrong, but I did draw this up 4 different times... Here are pics of the test.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good! I like the individual compartments and access to them.

Trying to come up with an idea for one myself. With the way your lids opens you can put a magnetic kitchen strip across it to hold a couple knives and other metal utensils.

How does the front cover come off?

What do you plan to coat it with?

On a side, what size fridge is that?

Saw your devil dog sticker and username. 0351?

joe

Looks good! I like the individual compartments and access to them.

Trying to come up with an idea for one myself. With the way your lids opens you can put a magnetic kitchen strip across it to hold a couple knives and other metal utensils.

How does the front cover come off?

What do you plan to coat it with?

On a side, what size fridge is that?

Saw your devil dog sticker and username. 0351?

joe

The front cover is located by 4 pins, one at each corner. It will be held in place by draw latches.

I plan on using a light stain then several coats of clear lacquer or a polymer coating of some type. And the top will hold my rendezvous sticker collection :)

It's a 50l ARB.

0313, but I have an engineering degree. You can see it's not a fabrication degree:D

Nice work! I abandoned my wood chuckbox idea in favor of platform and drawers in the back of the 4runner.

Been really busy getting set to move but here's where I am right now:

image.jpg

image.jpg

It looks much better in person, the light was not favorable when I shot these.

Time has been short lately so I'm way behind on stuff. Test fit today, first use should be this weekend.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Back
Top Bottom