In cab winch control?

Sean Slavin

Adventurist
So, with a small break between airplane rides, I managed to get my winch installed about a week ago. Yesterday, I finally put the line in. Getting my hand into the bumper to plug in the controller was no small feat. It's a bit of a tight squeeze.

What I'd like to do is add a couple of switches inside the truck for power and to control the winch line (out/in). Plan is to grab the switches from OTRATTW. I have the power one but they've been out of stuck on the on/off/on that I'd like to use for the control. The winch is a Superwinch Talon 12.5i.

Coming back around to the question. How difficult will this little project be? Have any of you done this?

It is ill-advised to switch a winch's main power line. Most switches won't handle the amp load created by a winch, and will burn up. You could use a solenoid, but a winch of your size is capable of creating loads higher than the rated value of every solenoid available.

Is selling the winch and get the WARN Zeon Platinum with its wireless controller an option? Even the clutching is handled by the remote as well.

It is ill-advised to switch a winch's main power line. Most switches won't handle the amp load created by a winch, and will burn up. You could use a solenoid, but a winch of your size is capable of creating loads higher than the rated value of every solenoid available.

Is selling the winch and get the WARN Zeon Platinum with its wireless controller an option? Even the clutching is handled by the remote as well.

Thanks for the input. Not sure I want to sell and get another.

Superwinch has a wireless option, too. You can buy the replacement wiring harness for it for $20. Looks to me like you could cut the non-winch end off it and use those wires to your switches.

https://superwinch.com/collections/...products/certus-replacement-harness-for-talon

Sweet. Didn’t even think about looking into that. Might just be the ticket.

ARB-Winch Switches.jpg
I have a rocker switch with a temp-lock that prevents accidental actuation you have to hold it down, it does not say engaged; in or out.. It woks well.

I personally don’t like in cab controls.... what if your dog, kid, big gulp, whatever hits it while your adjusting the line out in front... no bueno..

I am actually removing an In cab setup from a one of my trucks that I bought built up, which has it.. and a kill switch wired to the solenoid.. also if you need be outside the truck winching alone (say to right a trailer) it’s a no go..
anyway safer to have a controller you can unplug before reaching into the winch...rather than depend on a switch you probably won’t check to see if it’s disabled or not.

That said I also don’t like wireless remotes.. there is a delay on all that I have seen which combined with normal winch overrun is also no bueno.. I’m all for one variable at a time when it comes to winches.. and hands

I’ve seen 2 winch’s cross talk..... activating one that was not in use.. not optimal... (both the same brand and model after I checked them)

stick with a wired controller and put the plug where it’s easy to reach when your standing in front of the winch.

IMHO... ymmv

I’m with you. Old school WIRED remote works for me. No delay. No parasitic drain. More reliable. Safer.

My in-cab is a wired in-dash like Ryan's, but I also have the plug for the wired remote mounted on the bumper. Both applications for different demands.

My in-cab is a wired in-dash like Ryan's, but I also have the plug for the wired remote mounted on the bumper. Both applications for different demands.

Its a nice secondary option / redundancy to have.... especially if the majority of yor travels are solo. So many scenarios... say the handheld control takes a dump, someone else is borrowing yours... insert situation....

what if your dog, kid, big gulp, whatever hits it while your adjusting the line out in front

If you are out of the vehicle conducting winching and recovery OPs; its probably a good idea and safe practice to remove all non essential from the vehicle (if safe/possible/plausable) especially the cab.... just my .02 I realize that there is no ONE solution as everyone has different needs, circumsances, requirements etc...

Its a nice secondary option / redundancy to have.... especially if the majority of yor travels are solo. So many scenarios... say the handheld control takes a dump, someone else is borrowing yours... insert situation....

Always carry a spare remote ;)

I have both wireless & 12ft. lead on my Smittybilt Gen 2 X20 12,000lb. Both have their uses & times of need. IMO just for me I like the fact of reliability from a hard wired \ plug in control. Call me ol' school or inflexible. I have problems with wireless or keyless devices. Yuman Desert Rat I like your set up with the rocker style switch. I will have to copy you on that.

I cannibalized a Warn held held remote and mounted the toggle in the dash and ran the original wire out to the grill. Anytime I want to use the in-cab remote, it’s as simple as plugging the original end of the wire into the original recepticle on the winch.
If I want to operate from outside, I unplug the in-cab remote and plug in the stock controller. Makes it real easy and does not require modifying the winch at all.
I did add another switch beside the in-out switch that must be engaged before the in-dash remote switch has power. Less chance of somebody accidently engaging the winch.

Vince

Back
Top Bottom