Ideas Needed For Mounting Propane Tank

I need to switch from using disposable propane bottles to a semi-permanently mounted 5# -8" diameter or a 10# -8.9" diameter tank. Any advice on mounts? Our situation calls for it to be bolted to the top rail of our dual swing-out bumper, next to the tire. So the bolts will have to go down, through the bottom. So a good, thick, solid bottom is a must. We'll make a support bracket as well. We don't need anything fancy, just secure and durable, store-bought or homemade.

Any suggestions or photos of what your setup would be greatly appreciated.

propane_mount copy.jpg

I'd make a cylindrical basket that the tank would easily slide into, then secure with a bungee over the top. I have seen holders that use a tight clamp like this, but I think it would take too much fuss to remove it for use.
Capture.PNG

I'm trying to figure the same thing on my trailer. I want to mount a 5lb bottle on the spare tire mount. I ordered the Front Runner Drop Down Tailgate Table 2 days go, & plan on mounting it behind the spare tire. I'm keeping an eye on this thread.

Greg - You can also get 8" welding tank brackets. I used one to mount a 5lb. cylinder to the side of the box I installed on the tongue of my trailer. There's a 1/4" rubber pad sandwiched between the tank and box. I'm also able to put a tank on the other side when needed. This is a different application to what the OP is looking for but may be helpful to someone.

19-06-20 1.JPG
19-05-13 1.JPG

Last edited:

That was a choice I was considering. I opted for the fire extinguisher bracket because of the lower cost and the tank can be removed from the bracket w/o tools for obvious reasons. I can cook away from the vehicle if I want or bring the tank inside the ShiftPod and run a heater.

IMG_20190623_174827.jpg

There is a hole for a quick release pin that you can slip a lock through to secure the tank if the bracket is mounted on the outside of the vehicle. Makes it harder for your propane tank to grow legs and walk.
IMG_20190623_174933.jpg

Why switch? Just refill your 1 lb bottles.

Refilling them lets you pay the bulk price of propane. More importantly, you don't have to carry 20 lbs of propane on a short, weekend excursion.

We wish to thank all of you who responded here and through PMs! The overwhelming majority of everyone who helped us with this, all across the interwebs, suggested a Power Tanks bracket. That's what we chose, and are extremely happy we did! Ours is mounted on the tire side (passenger) of a dual swing-out bumper from CBI Offroad, but with a little simple fab work a bracket can be made for just about any bumper with a swing-out. This is the basic parts we used:

5# tank we picked up from our good friend Jeff Wilde @wildtrdpro1 (He had an extra.)
Power Tank propane bottle mounting bracket
A pressure gauge and 4' braided stainless steel hose from Amazon.
A piece of 3/16" plate aluminum we had laying around.
And a bunch of stainless bolts, washers, and lock nuts.

brkt1.JPG
brkt2.JPGbrkt3.jpgbrkt4.JPGbrkt5.JPG

If you're interested in making your own and would like some more detailed photos please let us know.

I made an adapter plate that allowed me to mount an AT fuel can holder and AT propane tank holder to it. Then mounted that plate to the swing out. The holders are excellent, the hardest part is figuring out where to mount things. Make sure they are high enough. Don’t want to drag them going up a steep incline.

8B445156-F77B-451D-9764-220A35A2AC54.jpeg

We wish to thank all of you who responded here and through PMs! The overwhelming majority of everyone who helped us with this, all across the interwebs, suggested a Power Tanks bracket. That's what we chose, and are extremely happy we did! Ours is mounted on the tire side (passenger) of a dual swing-out bumper from CBI Offroad, but with a little simple fab work a bracket can be made for just about any bumper with a swing-out. This is the basic parts we used:

5# tank we picked up from our good friend Jeff Wilde @wildtrdpro1 (He had an extra.)
Power Tank propane bottle mounting bracket
A pressure gauge and 4' braided stainless steel hose from Amazon.
A piece of 3/16" plate aluminum we had laying around.
And a bunch of stainless bolts, washers, and lock nuts.

View attachment 45907View attachment 45908View attachment 45909View attachment 45910View attachment 45911

If you're interested in making your own and would like some more detailed photos please let us know.
I like this. Gives me some ideas on my trailer for a 5lb bottle.
005.JPG
007.JPG
015.JPG

What is best way to do this?

Simple.

Pick up a propane refill adapter, such as a Mr. Heater adapter. Just follow the instructions.

I say follow the instructions, because if you look on YouTube, you will see some "experts" telling you how to do it better. Be wary of such claims and ideas.

It takes 60 seconds per cylinder. I get them about 80% full. Well within the safety margin.

Back
Top Bottom