Ice Huts

Dave

Adventurist
Founder
Senior Staff
Editor
At Cabelas today in Wisconsin and ran into the mother lode of ice fishing huts... not quite the same as my Shiftpod in terms of quality or materials... but interesting nonetheless.

These are super fast to set up and take down, great potential for “overland” use.

C371077C-B069-4332-B214-A9E713C0BD05.jpeg

F7855488-AB8D-4570-9244-9CCBAAFB9EBF.jpeg

424DD31D-6462-4088-9E22-3DE6E0E6E208.jpeg

62CB3361-66F0-49AB-99CA-C1FE1AD52AEE.jpeg

I have a clam screen room and I'm amazed at how fast it sets up. If these products are waterproof they would make great overlanding dwelling, particularly if you have a family with a couple of kids.

I have a clam screen room and I'm amazed at how fast it sets up. If these products are waterproof they would make great overlanding dwelling, particularly if you have a family with a couple of kids.

The Clam tents looked pretty well made, looks like anywhere from 600 to 900 Denier polyester fabric

https://clamoutdoors.com/

Do any of them bridge the gap between the full size and small Shiftpods?

Do any of them bridge the gap between the full size and small Shiftpods?

Yes. The Cabela's one above ($199) is an example of that. My only concern would be how they would do in the rain, but a guys could just throw a tarp over it if weather hit and be just fine IMO.

The biggest gripe for me with the Shiftpod Mini is that I can't stand up in it. The Cabelas one above is a similar footprint BUT also tall enough to stand up in.

I'm actually talking to Shiftpod right now about a "medium" version that is about a foot larger in diameter than the Mini, and tall enough to stand/change clothes in.

I don't think they are waterproof unless you do it yourself. The following Q&A is in both the Cabals's 6x12 and Clam's Escape Ice manual's FAQ section and on their website's FAQ (emphasis/bold mine).

Clam owner manuals
https://clamoutdoors.com/pages/owners-manuals

And FAQ
https://clamoutdoors.com/pages/customer-support

Q: Is there anything can be put on outside of the tent to prevent water from coming through, when we are using it?​
A: Customers have been known to spray or apply water repellent on the outside of the shelter that you would use for camping tents or boots. (Camp Dry would be an example of this type of product). These products will not damage your tent in anyway.​
Q: Will my Fish House leak because I can see pin holes in the fabric?​
A: Quite the opposite, as you heat your house and the snow and ice begin to melt, the vapors can better escape the shelter through an uncoated fabric. When it snows or rains, the water molecules are larger than the vapor molecules and cannot pass through the fabric and into the house.​

Slight derailment here but then there's this: "the water molecules are larger than the vapor molecules"

What? I understand the effort to simplify but this is over simplification of a explanation into misinformation. The properties of water molecules, including their size, do not change when changing it's state from solid, liquid, and gas. Besides. If you can see the hole it doesn't matter how big the molecule is.

Yes. The Cabela's one above ($199) is an example of that. My only concern would be how they would do in the rain, but a guys could just throw a tarp over it if weather hit and be just fine IMO.

Or just get an extra blast shield from Shiftpod. I'm willing to bet that it would fit a similar sized ice shelter like the Clam Escape.

I don't think they are waterproof unless you do it yourself. The following Q&A is in both the Cabals's 6x12 and Clam's Escape Ice manual's FAQ section and on their website's FAQ (emphasis/bold mine).

Clam owner manuals
https://clamoutdoors.com/pages/owners-manuals

And FAQ
https://clamoutdoors.com/pages/customer-support

Q: Is there anything can be put on outside of the tent to prevent water from coming through, when we are using it?​
A: Customers have been known to spray or apply water repellent on the outside of the shelter that you would use for camping tents or boots. (Camp Dry would be an example of this type of product). These products will not damage your tent in anyway.​
Q: Will my Fish House leak because I can see pin holes in the fabric?​
A: Quite the opposite, as you heat your house and the snow and ice begin to melt, the vapors can better escape the shelter through an uncoated fabric. When it snows or rains, the water molecules are larger than the vapor molecules and cannot pass through the fabric and into the house.​

Slight derailment here but then there's this: "the water molecules are larger than the vapor molecules"

What? I understand the effort to simplify but this is over simplification of a explanation into misinformation. The properties of water molecules, including their size, do not change when changing it's state from solid, liquid, and gas. Besides. If you can see the hole it doesn't matter how big the molecule is.
Greg - please stop trying to confuse the issue with science and fact. That only leads to trouble... :D

My first impression of this thread and the products that it illustrates was that these might have been potential competitors for Shiftpod as more manufacturers offer their interpretation on that product line. But it looks like this is whole different line exclusively prepared for winter conditions experienced up north. Most don't have floors and if they do 2 models) they are at extra cost; color-ways are designed mostly to absorb solar radiation for heat vice reflect it; water repellency is questionable and none have rain-flys.

Looks like Shiftpod is secure in its market domination. So far.

Greg - please stop trying to confuse the issue with science and fact. That only leads to trouble... :D

My first impression of this thread and the products that it illustrates was that these might have been potential competitors for Shiftpod as more manufacturers offer their interpretation on that product line. But it looks like this is whole different line exclusively prepared for winter conditions experienced up north. Most don't have floors and if they do 2 models) they are at extra cost; color-ways are designed mostly to absorb solar radiation for heat vice reflect it; water repellency is questionable and none have rain-flys.

Looks like Shiftpod is secure in its market domination. So far.

I sent Clam an email asking if they waterproof rate their shelters using the industry standard of millimeters of hydrostatic head.
https://www.msrgear.com/blog/tent-fabrics-part-2-waterproof-ratings/

i saw them when i went back east, i was going to buy one without even stepping into it... then i stepped into it had no floor.

i was bummed.

my turbotent is still holding up strong and paid a pretty penny for it so i dont plan on replacing it anytime soon... thankfully.

Some do have a floor you can buy separately but they won't be waterproof. Flaps held closed by Velcro so you can access fishing holes in the ice.

Back
Top Bottom