Ice climbing

OutdoorX4

Adventurist
Anyone else enjoy ice climbing? Here's a shot of me with some of good friends outside of Colorado Springs.

Frank.jpg

Ice climbing is a lot of fun and in my opinion is much easier than regular rock climbing. If you ever get a chance to try, you'll be hooked.

Andy, I know that feeling. ;)

Looks fun but I'm a winter sport objectionist. After spending too many years slugging through bitter winters outdoors just to make a living I have an adversarial relationship with Old Man Winter. Snow is great for hunting season but after that it becomes a pain in my rumpus.

Grump said:
I've always wanted a reason to buy an ice axe.

See that's the rub...any excuse to own another bit of sharpened steel has a certain draw for me. :viking

So does the rope catch you if you slip and fall?

Yes, he's "top roping" and someone else is taking up the slack in the rope for him as he climbs. If he falls they catch him.

I'm in NC now, but lived in Germany for 8 years and did my fair share of ice climbing. I've led plenty of routes as well as followed. I wouldn't say it's easier than rock climbing. Both can have some serious pucker factor, especially when you're leading a route on ice. When leading, our thinking was that you've got this rope and you're placing protection, but don't fall. I've taken countless lead falls rock climbing, never a single one lead climbing.

For fun look up "dry tooling". Those guys are some bad dudes.

Back
Top Bottom