I need new shocks for my 2003 F-150 4x4

Mojoe Outfitters

Adventurist
It's almost time for me to replace my AT T/A's so I thought I would replace my shocks at the same time. I'm going on a trip to the North Rim in early October so I'd like to have this done before then. If you have any good suggestions, it would be much appreciated.

Here's what I am looking for: I use the truck as a daily driver so I don't want anything that will increase the ride harshness. I go out on the 4x4 trail about every other month and rarely do rock crawling. No vehicle mods required. No day-glo pink! Just high quality, reliable 4x4 truck shocks, preferably American made.

Oh, one other thing. I usually carry a lot of cargo and people when I'm out on the trail. Four guys, a dog and a lot of gear including my 35 pound Mojoe Griddle is not unusual.

Rich, the Ford guy, are you out there?

Cam

I would get the BFG A/T's and a set of bilstein 5100's. Sound like anything fancier than that would be a waste of money for your needs IMO.

Hey Scott and Dave:

The BFG A/T's are a always a given for me! I'll check out the Bilsteins. Never heard of Icons, I assume they make shocks!

Cam

Check out Icon Vehicle Dynamics. Based in SoCal, rebuildable and made in USA :independence

Another vote for Bilstein 5100's. Best bang for the buck in the shock market IMO. 5150's if you want to spend a little extra $$$ for integral reservoirs. Apples/oranges, my buddy is running Icon stuff on his JK and is also very happy with their products.

There is no "wrong" choice given those two options IMO, both will work great and far exceed OEM performance.

I could have sworn it said "socks" in that title. Being that it doesn't, I don't have anything to add.

is your truck stock height right now? How much are you looking to spend. Best way to go is with some coilvers (icon, fox, king) to name a few. but your looking at about 1400.00 just for the 2 front coilvers. if your just looking to increase the ride quality a lil bit over stock then i recommend the 5100's.

is your truck stock height right now? How much are you looking to spend. Best way to go is with some coilvers (icon, fox, king) to name a few. but your looking at about 1400.00 just for the 2 front coilvers. if your just looking to increase the ride quality a lil bit over stock then i recommend the 5100's.

Thanks Raul:

I bought my truck used but I don't even know if it is lifted (although it's pretty high off the ground). What's the best way to tell if it has been lifted?

I looked up the 5100's on the 4Wheel Parts website, and it says that the 5100 is for lifted trucks.

My truck gets me wherever I want to go so I prefer to spend my extra fun money on meticulous maintenance rather than mods. Reliability is the most important thing for me because I am often way out in the middle of nowhere with just my truck and no other vehicles.

Cam

Thanks Raul:

I bought my truck used but I don't even know if it is lifted (although it's pretty high off the ground). What's the best way to tell if it has been lifted?

I looked up the 5100's on the 4Wheel Parts website, and it says that the 5100 is for lifted trucks.

My truck gets me wherever I want to go so I prefer to spend my extra fun money on meticulous maintenance rather than mods. Reliability is the most important thing for me because I am often way out in the middle of nowhere with just my truck and no other vehicles.

Cam
Post a picture and I'll be able to tell if it's lifted. And yes that's why I asked if your truck was already lifted because the 5100 would only fit a lifted vehicle. What size tires are you already running?

Bilstein still make shocks for your truck if it's stock height but it's going to be the yellow colored ones. There are also other options if your looking to level the truck rancho makes a decent kit that will lift the front 2" inches and comes with new coils. Those run about 400ish for the pair. The reg Bilstein usually run about 85.00-90.00 each.

Hey Raul:

Here is a picture of my truck:

F-150.jpg

My tires are 285/70 17 BFG A/T

Thanks!

my $.02, I have Icons on my rig, I wish I had gone with OME,WAAAAY less expensive. I could have spent the saved money elsewhere. However, the guys at ICON are AWESOME. I wanted heavier springs so i went in on a day they were closed and they swapped them out for me, for the price of the springs. So they are awesome dudes and extremely knowledgeable.

Cam you could just cut to the chase and contact Bilstein direct and see if they make a shock for your model as opposed to trusting some kind soul behind a parts counter that wants to make a sale. In reality, unless you drive it like you're in the Baja 1000 differences will be not be real great at least IMHO on most quality shocks.

Cam you could just cut to the chase and contact Bilstein direct and see if they make a shock for your model as opposed to trusting some kind soul behind a parts counter that wants to make a sale. In reality, unless you drive it like you're in the Baja 1000 differences will be not be real great at least IMHO on most quality shocks.

Thanks Ralph, I'll do that!

Cam

Back
Top Bottom