How to store loose steel winch cable?

Al Swope

Adventurist
Founding Member
I have ~125 feet of used steel winch cable. I have put it to use in landscaping. I use it with a pulley, to pull tree limbs, stumps and brush I've cut, far back inside a tree line. One end on the loose stump, then back to a pulley in the woods and then I connect to a truck and drag the stump into the woods. The problem is that I spend 20 minutes untangling the line each time I start the day. I've tried to do large loops, like with a garden hose, but it still tangles. The cable seems to have a "memory" from the winch spool. Anyone have any ideas on how I could wrap it up? I'm sure guys who work with cable have a remedy. Let me know what you've seen

^^^^^ I will totally try that. I was thinking something like this. Maybe welding a piece of 2" box to it so it could be inserted into receiver on the truck

Capturea.PNG

^^^^This looks like a modified version of the "over/under" that blkwng recommended. I am going to try these techniques before I buy anything

^^^^This looks like a modified version of the "over/under" that blkwng recommended. I am going to try these techniques before I buy anything

That’s exactly what it is, tailored to the spiral wrap inherent in steel cable vice the more forgiving extension cord or audio cable.

The “flip” that you see him doing on the block is what keeps it from knotting up. When pulled out, the line literally springs in the direction it’s being pulled. The two marlin spikes help keep it under control and allow tightening.

Back
Top Bottom