How often do you take and use your Dutch oven?

This take looks pretty neat. My only issue with dutch ovens is the fact that its a large chunk of iron that would launch around my vehicle while off road. How to you secure yours? Pretty sure one could take off a head in an accident.

I don't always take it. But man its nice for making pizza and bread and cakes etc. Burn bans in the summer keep use down it seems too.

I think they are too heavy and too hard to clean and not appropriate for over-landing.. I traded mine to a neighbor for half a cord of firewood. I do like when others make a desert in them...

I never got into the trend... way too many uncomplicated recipes to satisfy my hunger, modern refrigeration, advance meal planning and prep, decrease the amount or need for raw ingredients, on trail preparation, their storage in diverse climatic conditions, recipe prep and cook time, cooking fuel and open flame, and of course the previously cited weight and cube penalty. Too many reasons to not drag cast iron cookware along IMHO. You might argue "oh, but the flavor", but I've never had anyone refuse a meal prepared by me on my cookware or PSS. Now, I would reconsider it if and when I trade in my Tacoma for a Conestoga wagon and a couple musk ox.

i'll make stews if i'm going to be in a spot for more than a day. but if the goal of the trip is to cover miles and explore spots for future chillin', then I'll usually stick w/ meal prep vacpack frozen portions that I can pull out and boil.

I think they are too heavy and too hard to clean and not appropriate for over-landing.. I traded mine to a neighbor for half a cord of firewood. I do like when others make a desert in them...

Heathen! :eek: They're great when you're with other people or have a family; by yourself I'd say they're probably overkill though, especially when you add in everything that you need to go with them. Your traveling style makes a big difference as well; if you're into light and fast then no, if you like setting up camp, relaxing and enjoy cooking they're the cat's meow. I have two and used to carry at least one when I was in the VW bus camping scene and we'd have campouts. Properly seasoned they're easy to clean. If water is a concern then you can cook in foil to further simplify cleanup. Those aluminum foil cooking bags work well too.

As for transportation, in the VW they went under the back seat, in the truck they go in a milk crate with a strap.

Mine are currently getting used by my cousin since his (correction) oldest has been doing some camp outs with his cub scout troop.

Last edited:
The more I use it the better I like it.

Actually, the more my wife uses it the better I like it, but you get the idea.

Used it to good effect on a couple of trips where we wanted sandwiches, but were out too long to keep bread fresh. Our bread was never great. The consistency/crust were never what we wanted, but it got better as we went along. And was good enough for the sandwiches, toast, grilled cheese, etc . . . that we made it for.

Interesting

"GSI 12 aluminum dutch oven. Lightweight, rust-proof and even-heating at 1/3 the weight"

http://www.gsioutdoors.com/shop/camp-cookware/dutch-ovens/12-aluminum-dutch-oven.html

40712_0_i.jpg

Interesting

"GSI 12 aluminum dutch oven. Lightweight, rust-proof and even-heating at 1/3 the weight"

http://www.gsioutdoors.com/shop/camp-cookware/dutch-ovens/12-aluminum-dutch-oven.html

View attachment 41706
Uh, no thanks. Weight savings is not potentially worth my brain. :D

CMSRI-Infographic-4-Risk-Factors-for-Alzheimers-061317-Update.png

IS THERE A LINK BETWEEN ALUMINUM AND ALZHEIMER’S?

Aluminum is an element abundantly present in the earth. It occurs naturally in food and water and is widely used in products ranging from cans and cookware to medications and cosmetics. Some observational studies suggested a link between brain levels of aluminum and Alzheimer's disease [1]. Since the association was found, many studies have investigated whether aluminum increases the risk for Alzheimer's. The findings are far from clear.

Aluminum and Alzheimer's disease: after a century of controversy, is there a plausible link?

Abstract
The brain is a highly compartmentalized organ exceptionally susceptible to accumulation of metabolic errors. Alzheimer's disease (AD) is the most prevalent neurodegenerative disease of the elderly and is characterized by regional specificity of neural aberrations associated with higher cognitive functions. Aluminum (Al) is the most abundant neurotoxic metal on earth, widely bioavailable to humans and repeatedly shown to accumulate in AD-susceptible neuronal foci. In spite of this, the role of Al in AD has been heavily disputed based on the following claims: 1) bioavailable Al cannot enter the brain in sufficient amounts to cause damage, 2) excess Al is efficiently excreted from the body, and 3) Al accumulation in neurons is a consequence rather than a cause of neuronal loss. Research, however, reveals that: 1) very small amounts of Al are needed to produce neurotoxicity and this criterion is satisfied through dietary Al intake, 2) Al sequesters different transport mechanisms to actively traverse brain barriers, 3) incremental acquisition of small amounts of Al over a lifetime favors its selective accumulation in brain tissues, and 4) since 1911, experimental evidence has repeatedly demonstrated that chronic Al intoxication reproduces neuropathological hallmarks of AD. Misconceptions about Al bioavailability may have misled scientists regarding the significance of Al in the pathogenesis of AD. The hypothesis that Al significantly contributes to AD is built upon very solid experimental evidence and should not be dismissed. Immediate steps should be taken to lessen human exposure to Al, which may be the single most aggravating and avoidable factor related to AD

Uh, no thanks. Weight savings is not potentially worth my brain. :D

CMSRI-Infographic-4-Risk-Factors-for-Alzheimers-061317-Update.png

IS THERE A LINK BETWEEN ALUMINUM AND ALZHEIMER’S?

Aluminum is an element abundantly present in the earth. It occurs naturally in food and water and is widely used in products ranging from cans and cookware to medications and cosmetics. Some observational studies suggested a link between brain levels of aluminum and Alzheimer's disease [1]. Since the association was found, many studies have investigated whether aluminum increases the risk for Alzheimer's. The findings are far from clear.

Aluminum and Alzheimer's disease: after a century of controversy, is there a plausible link?

Abstract
The brain is a highly compartmentalized organ exceptionally susceptible to accumulation of metabolic errors. Alzheimer's disease (AD) is the most prevalent neurodegenerative disease of the elderly and is characterized by regional specificity of neural aberrations associated with higher cognitive functions. Aluminum (Al) is the most abundant neurotoxic metal on earth, widely bioavailable to humans and repeatedly shown to accumulate in AD-susceptible neuronal foci. In spite of this, the role of Al in AD has been heavily disputed based on the following claims: 1) bioavailable Al cannot enter the brain in sufficient amounts to cause damage, 2) excess Al is efficiently excreted from the body, and 3) Al accumulation in neurons is a consequence rather than a cause of neuronal loss. Research, however, reveals that: 1) very small amounts of Al are needed to produce neurotoxicity and this criterion is satisfied through dietary Al intake, 2) Al sequesters different transport mechanisms to actively traverse brain barriers, 3) incremental acquisition of small amounts of Al over a lifetime favors its selective accumulation in brain tissues, and 4) since 1911, experimental evidence has repeatedly demonstrated that chronic Al intoxication reproduces neuropathological hallmarks of AD. Misconceptions about Al bioavailability may have misled scientists regarding the significance of Al in the pathogenesis of AD. The hypothesis that Al significantly contributes to AD is built upon very solid experimental evidence and should not be dismissed. Immediate steps should be taken to lessen human exposure to Al, which may be the single most aggravating and avoidable factor related to AD

"The findings are far from clear."

From Alzheimer's Association Myths
https://www.alz.org/alzheimers-dementia/what-is-alzheimers/myths

Myth 4: Drinking out of aluminum cans or cooking in aluminum pots and pans can lead to Alzheimer’s disease.​

Reality: During the 1960s and 1970s, aluminum emerged as a possible suspect in Alzheimer’s. This suspicion led to concern about exposure to aluminum through everyday sources such as pots and pans, beverage cans, antacids and antiperspirants. Since then, studies have failed to confirm any role for aluminum in causing Alzheimer’s. Experts today focus on other areas of research, and few believe that everyday sources of aluminum pose any threat.​

In short. They don't know.

"The findings are far from clear."

From Alzheimer's Association Myths
https://www.alz.org/alzheimers-dementia/what-is-alzheimers/myths

Myth 4: Drinking out of aluminum cans or cooking in aluminum pots and pans can lead to Alzheimer’s disease.​

Reality: During the 1960s and 1970s, aluminum emerged as a possible suspect in Alzheimer’s. This suspicion led to concern about exposure to aluminum through everyday sources such as pots and pans, beverage cans, antacids and antiperspirants. Since then, studies have failed to confirm any role for aluminum in causing Alzheimer’s. Experts today focus on other areas of research, and few believe that everyday sources of aluminum pose any threat.​

In short. They don't know.
Cool... dig in. :thumbsup

I suggested it wasn't for me and cited a briefing slide and 2 articles. If "unclear" is good enough for you, that it 'might' turn your brain into cottage cheese, I'm not going to argue with you.

I've done enough stupid shit to my body over the years that I'm paying for now, then to gamble with, "the findings are far from clear." Further, having cared for this population I'd much prefer to suck-start my 1911 than be ravaged by, or have my family care for me, with the death sentence of AD.

Cool... dig in. :thumbsup

I suggested it wasn't for me and cited a briefing slide and 2 articles. If "unclear" is good enough for you, that it 'might' turn your brain into cottage cheese, I'm not going to argue with you.

I've done enough stupid shit to my body over the years that I'm paying for now, then to gamble with, "the findings are far from clear." Further, having cared for this population I'd much prefer to suck-start my 1911 than be ravaged by, or have my family care for me, with the death sentence of AD.

Fair enough. We all pick an choose the poison we're willing to roll the dice on. Aluminum pots and pans, bacon,...

bacon cooked in aluminum pans :)

Dutch oven honey cornbread with chicken and red potato soup.
2356B2AD-1460-46A5-B6A5-5713E2889F05.jpeg

I used an 8” Dutch oven which packs small so it stays in my kitchen kit. It’s great for meals for 2-3, doesn’t weigh much and I keep it in a lodge carry bag which has some stout webbing handles than can be used to secure it inside a vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom