Hints, tips, and tricks thread

Bodhisattva05X

Adventurist
Post them up. I am very new to photography and I am currently learning how to use my Rebel T5, along with Photoshop and Lightroom. So I figured it would be a great idea to have a thread to help out new people like me. So feel free to post up what your'e willing to share.

I have a lot of photos I have taken with my iPhone and that's well documented on my Instagram account. But here are some of the first few I have taken with my Canon.

What are you specifically interested in?

One of the best pieces of advice I was ever given was to make sure my photographs tell a story. All too often I find myself taking photos of stuff I think is cool but then when I look at them a few days later I don't get the same feeling I had when I took the photo. Why is that, I didn't take the time to take properly document the story that drew me to the scene.

Case in point, these two photos I took of one of the most photographed animals in Yellowstone - The American Bison
DSC_0295.JPG

Blizzard by Beau_Johnston, on Flickr

Both photos are of bison, but which one tells a story? Sure there are technical/experience differences between the two images but it is the story the second photo tells that draws me to it.

It boils down to slowing down, analyzing the scene, determining what drew me to it, and how I should best portray that feeling in the image I want to capture.

Thanks Beau you have just made the light go on for me. Snapshots vs. Photos

Precisely, taking snapshots vs. capturing an image. This has nothing to do with the camera/lens but the person's ability to tell the story in a single image. The camera and equipment are just the tools used to help tell the story.

I have a weakness for tools... ;-)

Back
Top Bottom