Heard some music today that sent me

ArkansasDon

Adventurist
I was listen to the stereo in my shop this morning working on customer guns & a song came up that sent me back in times. The classic Norman Greenbaum "Spirit in the Sky"
You ever try to listen today's Rock Music? or even today's Country which I call pop country?...........God I feel so lucky to grow up in times I did. My dad used to listen to Grass Roots, Tommy James & The Shondells along with Santana in his 1966 Dodge Polara 2 door w\ 440 big block with 8 track tape player. RIP dad.

Last edited:
I was raised on an eclectic mix of Elvis, the Beach Boys, Johnny Cash and Merle Haggard. I think you're a generation before me :lol

Yes. I went to a radio station for an interview about a project I am working on. IT was humbling to find out they are an "oldies" station and I could sing along with every tune they played while I was there :)
Guess the grey in my beard is correct.

I can’t think of a comment I can make about today’s popular music without coming across like a curmudgeonly bastard. That being said, there is still some amazing current music out there. It’s just not on the radio. In JJ Cale’s last interview, he said there are now 14 year old kids playing guitar that are as good as any of the classic rock guitarists, because they can constantly watch and study the greats on the internet. Music is like travel. You have to get off the main road to see/hear the really cool stuff. SUPPORT LOCAL LIVE MUSIC! You’ll be shocked and awed.

I can’t think of a comment I can make about today’s popular music without coming across like a curmudgeonly bastard. That being said, there is still some amazing current music out there. It’s just not on the radio. In JJ Cale’s last interview, he said there are now 14 year old kids playing guitar that are as good as any of the classic rock guitarists, because they can constantly watch and study the greats on the internet. Music is like travel. You have to get off the main road to see/hear the really cool stuff. SUPPORT LOCAL LIVE MUSIC! You’ll be shocked and awed.

Great post! :guitar

I agree, there's so much more good music available now than ever, and its easy to find, but you have to find it, not on the radio proper, sat. maybe. I think its great, I can listen to new grass, or hillbilly or rock back to back anytime I want, just fire up the computer and enjoy!!

I agree, there's so much more good music available now than ever, and its easy to find, but you have to find it, not on the radio proper, sat. maybe. I think its great, I can listen to new grass, or hillbilly or rock back to back anytime I want, just fire up the computer and enjoy!!

Yup. Pandora and Spotify, along with SiriusXM, have changed the way I hear new music.

I was listening to the 70's station on XM a few trips ago. A lot of the songs that I grew up with sounded SO much better than I remembered them. When we heard them back in the day it was on a 9V transistor radio in mono. The songs sound amazing when listening to them on a modern stereo.

IMG_20180201_061719.png

There's a lot of good music out there but clearchannel and their ilk have essentially destroyed FM radio. There are some really good college radio stations (and some terrible ones); most have a mix of good DJs who know their music and utter crap, the trick is figuring out the good shows. A lot of them are on-line these days as well so you don't have to be local. There are also some privately owned on-line radio channels that have good stuff, once again the trick is in finding them, especially since many of them have no funding so they come and go.

I call today’s country “tractor rap”.

What was depressing was at a store the other day and the Nirvana cover of a David Bowie song came on the overhead music.

Back
Top Bottom